Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 03:51 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,010,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureTexan View Post
No offense to the O.P. ( even though she has offended the hell out of me.. ) I would kill myself if I had to live in an all white neighbhorhood.

I would prefer my neighborhood to be 22% White, 22% Black, 22% Hispanic, 22% Asian, and 12% Other.

Seriously, I understand that the woman picked to live in Tyler because she thought it was 100% white with no crime.
First off, I don't believe the OP ever said she expected Tyler to be "100 percent white with no crime." Exaggeration is of no use here.

Secondly, I find it very curious that you have "prefered" neighborhood demographics. To be so very specific about what sort of neighborhood you prefer, you must be operating according to stereotypes as neighborhoods with such "neat" apportionments don't exist unless they're engineered. As for me, I take people as they come and could care less what race my neighbors are.

And, before you make some insulting statements about me (as you did the OP), my next-door neighbors are black and I live in a racially mixed neighborhood where everyone gets along well. I was a bit shocked by some of the things the OP said, but I recognize how upset she is. I would be, too, if my neighbors treated me that way and it doesn't matter what race they are. That's just demeaning.

Old 07-04-2008, 03:55 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,892,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
And, before you make some insulting statements about me (as you did the OP), my next-door neighbors are black and I live in a racially mixed neighborhood where everyone gets along well. I was a bit shocked by some of the things the OP said, but I recognize how upset she is. I would be, too, if my neighbors treated me that way and it doesn't matter what race they are. That's just demeaning.
I don't believe half the stuff the O.P. said.

It's easy to " exaggerate " like you said and honestly, out of anger or not there is alot of truth to things that are said when someone's mad. Most of the stuff this woman said IS racist. She has lumped every black person and hispanic person into one stereotypical group.

I don't honestly care about your opinion or your neighborhood. I enjoy diversity and will not stand for someone bad mouthing an entire race of people over the actions of few, If those people even did half the stuff she claims.

Old 07-04-2008, 03:58 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,277,589 times
I can feel your pain, Rynn, and have no doubt you did not cause these incidents.

About 26% of the 94,000 people in Tyler are black. Even the whole state of Texas has only about 12% but since those we acquired after Hurricane Katrina, I'm sure that percentage is now higher. I agree with you in many respects and I think it's safe to say that most blacks are like you describe. I'd say it's about 80-20 at best. I have enough of it in neighboring towns where I live, but thank goodness, my town has very few of what you describe. Of those it has, most are quite vile.

Of course, you have that type of people in every race, but I really do know about what you're talking. I've heard it, watched it, and lived it, and I don't like it either. Even if you weren't a "crackah", slowness seems to be the mode for most. Even Bill Cosby has preached to his people about "quit blaming the white people." He seems appalled at his people in this day and age. His speech was excellent, but I believe most really were mad at him for saying such things.

Hispanics seems much more family oriented to me, but it does drive me nuts when they don't speak English. You really don't hear about Hispanic men having 14 children by 10 different women. Well, at least I don't hear that.

Tyler used to be quite a nice city from what I remember, but it has been years since I've been there. Yes, the internet makes it look quite inviting, sad to say the least. Unfortunately, it is usually the people that ruin a state, but Texas does get some getting used to even if you live in an area with less nonsense. All in all, it isn't so bad.

I wish you and your guys the best, and I hope that all works out well for you in the long run. Keep safe!

Old 07-04-2008, 03:59 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,381,458 times
exactly. well said. of course alot of us have "preferred neighborhood demographics"...i mean, come on now, if you were a single white woman, would you truly feel comfortable in a 99 percent black neighborhood in the Bronx? come on!
i have lived in multi-cultural areas-having been a military wife living on post, and i was quite comfortable. of course there was so called "white trailer trash" as well as other race trash.
but being an EXTREME minority can be uncomfortable. straight up!
yes i think the OP was a bit overboard with the use of labeling "black" for everything....i agree.
but the bottom line is, we cant assume that the OP was "inciting" this kind of behaviour or inviting this kind of experience as some , moving to Texas as an extreme racist KKK member or something. sure, she could have worded things a bit different. but she is trying to give a picture of her experience there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
First off, I don't believe the OP ever said she expected Tyler to be "100 percent white with no crime." Exaggeration is of no use here.

Secondly, I find it very curious that you have "prefered" neighborhood demographics. To be so very specific about what sort of neighborhood you prefer, you must be operating according to stereotypes as neighborhoods with such "neat" apportionments don't exist unless they're engineered. As for me, I take people as they come and could care less what race my neighbors are.

Old 07-04-2008, 04:05 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,215,075 times
Wow! You know you get what you give. It sounds like your attitude and unreal expectations are bringing on a lot of your problems. Having just come home from visiting my parents who now live in a 95% hispanic, lower income, neighborhood (they are original owners and it didn't start out that way 40 years ago), I find your attitude offensive. My parents have some of the best neighbors possible. It is a matter of respect and dignity. If you look at and treat other folks as if they are offensive, you will get it right back in your teeth...with interest usually. The folks you are denigrating are generally hard working, family, people and if you treat them with respect and politeness they will generally treat you the same way. Not saying there are not bad apples in every group, but that goes for the so-called white trash folks too and this is not limited to Tyler or even Texas. As far as teens go, I live in a 97% white neighborhood and the brats around here do the same kind of stuff you just described. They think it is funny.

BTW it is not required by health code (aka TFER) that food handlers wear gloves in most situations. Wearing gloves is an alternative to other methods of sanitation and is used by alot of restaurants and is part of that establishment's oporating procedures.

Old 07-04-2008, 04:05 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,954,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynn View Post
I have been so very disillusioned...
My fiance' and I moved to Tyler a few months ago. His job was transferred from Michigan. We really didn't have a choice. I was excited about the move, at first. Mostly becuase I thought it prudent to look up Tyler and it's demographics and job outlook as well as schools and colleges. ( I have a teenager and wanted to see what the schools were like and I was a fulltime student in Michigan.)
The city websites make this town look enchanting and welcoming...I should have looked for other websites that told the truth about Tyler. The city website boasts of low crime and a low census count of minority and blacks. They are liars and decievers. The city websites show statistics from the year 2000. This is 2008. The demographics have changed considerably from what I have witnessed.
This is important to me, because I am white and I want to live in a good neighborhood, work a good job and all without high levels of crime and the freedom to go wherever I want without having to be the only white person there...But, this is exactly how I am living.
I am a prisoner in my home. I can't even go out on my front steps to sit and read without having passing cars full of blacks and hispanics making comments.(why do they feel it necessary to stop in front of my house and make lude comments and say things that sicken me?) Or being bothered by a very persistent young black teen girl, who dresses like a hooker and always needs something from me. She has no qualms about coming to my front door to ask for cigerettes ...she has even asked my child for them...(live the stereotype much??)
Or, how about going to a fast food place to pick up dinner on a busy night, only to be subjected to rude and obvious comments from the less than courteous black teens that seem to run every fast food place in town? ( and move at the speed of a snail because I'm a "crackah!")
I nearly encited a racial riot when I asked a young teen male who was making our food, to put gloves on. Even the black woman in front of me was livid that this boy was touching his crotch and dancing around like a fool behind the counter... all without a care who saw him and just waiting for someone(a white person-as he kept making eye contact with everyone in line that was white) to say something. Thankfully, his manager stepped in and told him he was violating a public health code...(again, perpetrate the stereotype much??)
Let's face it people...living in a largely black/hispanic community has more crime, more violence, more poverty, lower standards for education, and a generally dirty look and feel to it.
Those of you who look to critisize my outlook and call me racist are probably people who haven't had much life experiences with blacks, worked with them, been victimized by them, have children they wish to protect or are just fooling themselves...or are indeed black or hispanic. Is every black or hispanic person this way? No, but put a community together that is generally black and hispanic and where whites are the minority, and you have the makings of a crappy place to live with no outlets for a family to live and thrive in comfort and peace. There is no harmony, the numbers of blacks and hispanics are too high. To coexist, a community can be diverse, but needs more equivalancies.
I and my family don't speak spanish. Yet everywhere I go, there seems to be some type of language berrier. I took my son to JC Penny's salon to get his haircut. He has the average skater-do,that is long and cool looking. I have always taken him to a Penny's to get his hair done...In Tyler, I made this mistake. The woman they assigned to cut his hair...didn't understand English very well. Imagine that! An immagrant that works here, lives here, take advantage of everything she and her family can here in America...but can't speak or understand the language. Well, my son walked out of there with a semi-Donald Trump comb-over. I was pissed. What a waste of money,time and several inches of my kids previously glorious blonde hair.
Yet another incident was at Walmart...everything moves slower in Texas...including the illiterate Mexican behind the counter that cannot read the lables on items such as produce. How many times do I have to be subjected to broken English and fragmented sentences?? Or, how about the lazy black people that move at an astoundingly slow rate just because they can. I went to the measuring counter at a craft store for fabric, only to stand there for 13 minutes to wait for a black kid to get off his break. Why doesn't this happen when a white person is behind the counter? Because white people don't have anything to prove. We just work.

Since moving here, I have been followed home from a gas station by a rather large black man, ogled regularly by mexicans and blacks(everytime I step outside my door), witnessed a horrendous brawl in front of the middle school...on my sons first day of school...seen too many young black kids perpetrating acts of violence and crime. My son hates school here. He doesn't want to pretend to like black music and talk like a black person to save his ass from gettin' pounded by an astounding number of black or hispanic kids. The teachers fear the students here. Many parents have told me to move my son to a private school for 9th-12th grade.The high schools here are rivals...with in the same town! WTF is up with that?? From what I have been told by my neighbors and fellow parents, are that the high schools here are worse than the middle schools. The fights are elevated to weapons and duels outside of school. Great! just what every mother wants for her son...learn to survive by picking which gang to join.

And, I live in a semi-good part of town. I pity any white person trapped in the slums. Yes, I typed slums. There are several areas in town that are ugly,dirty,overpopulated with low-income rentals and park-like areas that look as if a white person would be shot if they entered. I am white...and a minority here. Where are all the white people?? Where do they go to hang out? Where do they swim, play, enjoy the outdoors?
I haven't yet learned those things. I ask people regularly..."Where do you go around here that is safe and you don't feel like you're going to get mugged or raped?" The response is always the same, we don't! They stay at home or go out of town to enjoy time with friends or go to a park. They send their kids to private school or homeschool them. They arrange their lives to where their schedule don't conflict with the blacks or hispanics. They do as the rest of us do, avoid the problem areas...which is hard,because they are everywhere. One lady told me that she takes her kids to the park only at times when she knows the blacks haven't congregated there. She pays over $500.00 in the summer for her kids to swim in a private pool at a gym. All so they aren't subjected to rude comments and gang like scenerios, much like that of the Tyler public swimming pools. Once you arrive...you will see what I mean. The pool is nice, but the language is upsetting. The atmosphere is scarey. The blacks at the pool seem to feel obligated to say and do as they like. Even in front of small children. They don't censor themselves. They purposefully make you feel uncomfortable and unwelcome. The bathrooms are filthy and we all know why...
The level of violence in Tyler, is only exceeded by the level of immorality. If you wish to call my racism immoral, by all means do so. I cannot help being honest. I say what people whisper to me...out loud.Am I the only white person that feels this way here in Tyler...Hell No! Everywhere I go, I find a commonality with my fellow "crackahs" They whisper at me, they nod an exchange of disapproval, they tell me under their breath "welcome to Tyler, home of the lazy and uneducated." I know exactly what that means... Lazy blacks and illiterate Mexicans.
I had an older gentleman tell me last week that I should not go out without my husband/boyfriend. I was befuddled at first. Then I looked around and realized that he was commenting on the fact that a group of black males ( all around 20's??) were looking at me and making gestures. I found myself scrambling to get out of the store...and later having the "please don't treat woman like that" speach to my son. As I don't want him to grow up thinking that men are suppose to talk and act like that to woman. Especially in public. I do have one thing to say, the older Mexican gentleman respect woman way more than younger men and blacks. Why do black men seem to think it's ok to openly speak about a woman and her body and the things they want to do in public? And, why do younger hispanics follow this trend? Again, not all blacks are this way. But I have had a hard time finding many who don't.
Tyler sucks. So far, I am not impressed with Texas in general. As the whites in Tyler say..."You should have moved to a nicer area...Welcome to Tyler."
Move to Portland.. or Oregon in general.. it is the whitest place in America.. or so I am told.

Old 07-04-2008, 04:06 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,277,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureTexan View Post
No offense to the O.P. ( even though she has offended the hell out of me.. ) I would kill myself if I had to live in an all white neighbhorhood.

I would prefer my neighborhood to be 22% White, 22% Black, 22% Hispanic, 22% Asian, and 12% Other.

Seriously, I understand that the woman picked to live in Tyler because she thought it was 100% white with no crime. However, as a man that has a black wife and all black inlaws, and have lived in multi-cultured neighborhoods almost all of my life. I find ALOT of the stuff the O.P. said to be offensive. Personally, IMHO, the only thing missing from her post was a confederate flag.

I wonder what would happen if someone black posted a topic telling people an " unfortunate truth " about an all white part of Texas complaining of trailer parks, toilets with flowers growing out of it, ect, ect, ect.

Tasteless and Classless. I personally hope she/they move back up north.
If I had chosen a black husband, I wouldn't want to live in an all white neighborhood either.

I totally agree with you about some of the all white neighborhoods that my daughter refers to as PWT (poor white trash). That's awful, I know, and she's totally white. So if someone black mentioned such, I would have to agree with him or her.

There are lazier than heck white people too, and it's just as sickening. There are whites that have vulgar mouths and do vulgar things. There are whites that are rapists, murderers, child molesters, et all.

Let's face it; people in general these days leave a lot to be desired regarding character, taste, class, ethics, and values.

Old 07-04-2008, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
exactly. well said. of course alot of us have "preferred neighborhood demographics"...i mean, come on now, if you were a single white woman, would you truly feel comfortable in a 99 percent black neighborhood in the Bronx? come on!
i have lived in multi-cultural areas-having been a military wife living on post, and i was quite comfortable. of course there was so called "white trailer trash" as well as other race trash.
but being an EXTREME minority can be uncomfortable. straight up!
yes i think the OP was a bit overboard with the use of labeling "black" for everything....i agree.
but the bottom line is, we cant assume that the OP was "inciting" this kind of behaviour or inviting this kind of experience as some , moving to Texas as an extreme racist KKK member or something. sure, she could have worded things a bit different. but she is trying to give a picture of her experience there.
No offense at all Belle, but as a self proclaimed " redneck woman " It's obvious that you wouldn't take offense to the O.P.

Old 07-04-2008, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
If I had chosen a black husband, I wouldn't want to live in an all white neighborhood either.

I totally agree with you about some of the all white neighborhoods that my daughter refers to as PWT (poor white trash). That's awful, I know, and she's totally white. So if someone black mentioned such, I would have to agree with him or her.

There are lazier than heck white people too, and it's just as sickening. There are whites that have vulgar mouths and do vulgar things. There are whites that are rapists, murderers, child molesters, et all.

Let's face it; people in general these days leave a lot to be desired regarding character, taste, class, ethics, and values.
Obviously I'm not saying that everyone is perfect but come on, unless you're in a hate group you have to admit that the stuff this woman said was racist. She didn't have to go into the details in such a way that she did. It almost looks like she did it on purpose to start another Joe Horn type thread. Alot of black kids act like and do what they see on TV just as much as white kids do. I've met more successful black adults in my life then I have bums/drunks/panhandlers, ect, ect. To say the stuff that woman said is wrong and reading what she wrote and how she described it, It looked like she had a bad opinion of the town from the get go and didn't even attempt to like the place or be friendly with anyone. Sickening.

Old 07-04-2008, 04:17 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,761,226 times
People that was the OP's second post ever, don't get sucked in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler