U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 06:41 PM

294 posts, read 881,492 times

Advertisements

When it comes to racism you really can't win with some foiks. I've had some good black friends in the past but when you meet many for the first time they'll assume certain things or that's how they come across. Only by continuing to be civil and kind will you win some over but many you never will. On the other hand I worked for a year in Hattiesburg, MS. Blacks there were overwhelmingly some of the most genuinely decent, kind people I've ever met. The whites I met were great with white people but would often rant and rave against blacks. It just seemed systemic to take out their frustrations with life on blacks. Too many people are just uncomfortable with anything that's different from their comfort zone. Combine that with people, no matter what their race, that perpetuate stereotypes by acting badly in public, and you will always have racism. Heck, Biil Clinton used to be called the first Black president. Now many Blacks are angry with him for the racial overtones of his wife's campaign. For the sake of this forum, it would probably be best to keep comments to "you felt you experienced racism" rather than trying to suggest that certain races do this or that. By the way, many White women today date and even marry Black men. If, in a city that's 26% Black, you moved into an area that's majority Black as you described, stands to reason that those Black men giving you attention probably thought you like Black men. If you were getting that much attention you must be quite attractive. Thus alot of men were hopeful to attract you. Take it as a compliment and either ignore it or move. Your post certainly didn't do anything to scare away potential Tyler residents. Just made the world a little less friendly.

Old 07-04-2008, 06:46 PM

812 posts, read 2,098,341 times
If the poster said something positive maybe I'd think something was neutral but seems all negative so I can't find that a town I have been to has changed so much that hookers are running around all over the place. I don't care what color people are and what they drive and how many people travel together. If you move to the wrong part of town sometimes that will happen.

Old 07-04-2008, 07:42 PM

15,295 posts, read 27,422,463 times
Closed pending Moderator review.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or