U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-10-2008, 05:05 PM

94 posts, read 214,393 times

Advertisements

Looking around for a good place to raise kids.,
are there gangs or hints of gangs in Tyler Tx?

I read that the north areas are the 'bad' ones in Tyler,
what exactly is 'bad' in this case?

Also, any signs of it moving into other areas of Tyler?
Are the schools having probs?

any info. etc. helpful! Thanks!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 07:13 PM

Default reply to my own post.,

I was reading other posts about Tyler and I suppose this is one touchy area about Tyler (ie no replies).,
It appears Tyler has a crime problem, with school shootings
etc., and a rather split community where class is concerned. Pretty though! Oh well!!

Old 07-10-2008, 08:04 PM

3,700 posts, read 11,270,240 times
Please, every community with kids has gangs...some gangs are just not your seen on TV gun toting, jump-in membership types. Gangs, in polite society, are often referred to as "Clicks". "Clicks" can be just as psychologically dreadful as the gun-toting types are physically dreadful. Think about those nice kids in Colorado or other places where the victim of a "Click" ended up hauling off and shooting a few of his classmates. Gangs deal drugs and rob folks. "Clicks" tend to play nasty "jokes", use drugs (yes, I know.."Not my child"), and shoplift, tresspass or do other idiot things. Gangs tend to be socially unacceptable, "clicks" are viewed as a "phase" and are usually socially acceptable.

I guess it is all in how you see things.

Old 07-11-2008, 07:54 AM

595 posts, read 1,707,077 times
I live in and work in the Tyler area. I deal with relocation clients who chose to move here because of the small town feel, yet close enough to a large city. I have yet to hear one of them complain about the crime rate in Tyler or Longview areas. Sure there is crime....but you can find crime in towns of 1000 people. The difference here is that crime is still reported on the news because of this being a smaller metro area. In Dallas there may be 20 murders a night...but that's not big news there.

Last edited by destin04; 07-11-2008 at 07:55 AM.. Reason: sp

Old 07-11-2008, 07:57 AM

7,725 posts, read 18,213,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by destin04 View Post
The difference here is that crime is still reported on the news because of this being a smaller metro area. In Dallas there may be 20 murders a night...but that's not big news there.

I'm sorry, but 20 murders a night in any huge metro area would be gigantic news!!!!!

Old 07-11-2008, 12:18 PM

(destino4) I read that Tyler HS and some other HS are rivals, and there has been trouble at Tyler HS (shootings).,
even here in Tucson (large enough city) there aren't 'rival' schools
and shootings! Sounds like problems.

Old 07-11-2008, 12:37 PM

18 posts, read 53,264 times
Tucsonmom,

I'm from the New Orleans area and relocated to Tyler right after Hurricane Katrina. I have to tell you, obviously noplace is *completely* without crime, but this is the safest place I have ever lived or even visited.

I can't speak for all parts of town -- downtown and North Tyler can be rough in comparison to the rest of town but even that is relative. I live west of town -- in a mediocre, cheap, lower-to-middle-income "mixed neighborhood" (i.e., a mix of black, white and hispanic families). My husband works nights, so I'm home alone with my 2-year-old daughter A LOT, but I feel totally safe. I don't worry in the least about taking a walk in the evening alone, going out anywhere, taking my kid to the public pool (in what's considered an iffy part of town), leaving my garage door open, etc. I think the worst things I have experienced here have been some rowdy teenagers and being panhandled (once) in a gas station parking lot. Seriously.

Also, we live in what is considered a *bad* school district. However, even the *bad* schools here are so much better than the *good* schools in Louisiana it's almost laughable. If we're still in Tyler by the time my daughter is school-age, I won't have the slightest hesitation about putting her in public school.

Hope this helps. I don't know what Tucson is like, but I would venture to say that Tyler is going to seem very safe to anybody moving here from any large urban area.

Old 07-11-2008, 04:07 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,373,719 times
Default Tyler is a "Good Place" to raise a family.

I don't think this a "touchy" area - we just have not had a chance to respond. The vast majority of the "rivalry" of which you speak has to do with SPORTS between the two public high schools - there are only two 5A High Schools in Tyler. Even the rivarly between the two schools has diminished in recent years - very and I mean very little gang activity here - some 5 to 10 years ago the growing hispanic population felt they could just carry on as if in Mexico, I guess, and THEY had gangs going after EACH OTHER not the public. You may hear of a stabbing in a school now and then, usuallly the type of "stay away from my man/guy/girl stuff - but not going AFTER the general public. Yes, you do hear EVERYTHING in the news here - a purse snatching, when it occurs, will make a lead-in news item. And of course, a story where somebody gets hurt or killed somewhere in the GENERAL AREA, will run for a week - but again we do have crime - there are 200,000 people in the county which is our METRO area - but LIndale,Whitehouse,Bullard have what people say are "good" schools they mean small minorities - Tyler minorities are in the majority, still ,you can find schools - if that's what you want - where that is not the case - pull up Tyler by entering citi-data.com and under Texas Cities and you will find all the vaired opinions of Tyler - vast majority are positive. Good Luck, come on over - more than 13,000 population increase since that last census - many, from out of state. Welcome, Good Luck !!!

Last edited by Mark Senior; 07-11-2008 at 05:03 PM..

Old 07-23-2008, 08:13 PM

17 posts, read 185,700 times
Well I am for sure going on an interview in Tyler next week. I am really stressing over moving somewhere new as I have never left this area before. I know Tyler is lovely and friendly for the most part. I will be most interested in good Jr High Schools and living kind of out where I can have dogs and a back yard and no neighbors right on top of me. Is it possible?

Old 07-24-2008, 06:49 PM

595 posts, read 1,707,077 times
There are a lot of place in E Texas where you can find a little space and won't feel like you are sitting on top of your neighbor. We live north of Tyler in the Lindale area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler