Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 06:21 PM

595 posts, read 2,721,716 times

Advertisements

We just accepted a transfer to Tyler today. My husband's office is on the north side of Tyler and we have decided on Hideaway Lake...which is a gated community in Lindale. I've researched the school system in Lindale and I'm very satisfied with what I have learned. Tyler is only a 15 minute drive away and they have all the good stores.....do they have a Kohl's? I forgot to check!!!! OH NO! Hopefully our house will sell in the northern suburbs of Dallas and we will be on our way as soon as school is out. We have a child who attends college and one who will be entering 9th grade next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2007, 10:21 AM

216 posts, read 934,526 times
Kohl's is on the way! They are building stores in both Tyler and in Longview.

Old 04-25-2007, 04:57 PM

Default Kohl's coming to Tyler and Longview....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripley View Post
Kohl's is on the way! They are building stores in both Tyler and in Longview.
Now that I know Kohl's is on the way....my life is complete!

Old 04-28-2007, 02:09 PM

1 posts, read 5,962 times
Default Ghetto?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
What does THIS mean? We have a friend moving to Tyler at the end of May. Just curious about the town.
I so beg to differ. I have lived and worked in and around Tyler my whole life (50 years) and it is a conservative, clean town with far more good people than bad.

Maybe 'eastwest' had a bad experience or would like to explain the 'Ghetto' comment in more detail.

Lindale, Whitehouse, and Troup are all suburbs of Tyler for those people who prefer a small town atmosphere with close proximity to shopping and restaurants.

The schools and community work very hard to solve problems and deficiencies. Alternatively there are plenty of private schools to chose from and at least a couple of home school associations.

Tyler has positioned itself as a regional medical hub. The two main hospitals ETMC and Trinity MFHS have branched out with clinics in most surrounding communities. We also have a branch of the UT Health System that is a teaching/research hospital. Our quality of health care is among the best.

We have a well established Economic Development Council and city leaders who are committed to keeping Tyler a clean, vibrant, healthy, growing place for families to live work and earn a living.

Our pay scale isn't the best unless you are in the Health Services industry and I've been told the cost of living compares with Dallas where incomes are higher.

We have an active citizenry that does not include the criminal element (who are not known for their civic mindedness - outside of court ordered community service).

We have many clubs and organizations that are geared toward helping the economically disadvantaged. Habitat for Humanity builds several homes a year and a trip through their neighborhood off Gentry Parkway would lift your spirits to see what can be accomplished when people work together.

Bethesda Clinic in Tyler provides low cost medical care for the working uninsured enabling them to pay for medical services on a sliding scale.

The Tyler Literacy Council works with hundreds of people every year to help them improve their quality of life. The Junior League, Rotary Clubs, Kiwanis and Lions Clubs; The Shriners and Elks, Make A Wish Foundation, Meals on Wheels, Child Advocacy Center, Gentry Parkway Youth Center, County Extension Agencies, Volunteer Firefighters, American Red Cross, ARC of Smith County, The East Texas Regional Food Bank, The Circle of Ten, Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, Hispanic American Association, East Texas Hispanic Business Association, the Metro (Black) Chamber of Commerce, Heart of Tyler Mainstreet, The Greater Tyler United Way, AIDS Services, The Salvation Army, and our many churches all work together to keep Tyler from being a "ghetto". Those who have give so that those who don't can have a chance.

Everyone who lives and works in Tyler and East Texas has the opportunity and most will generously give their money or their time through these numerous organizations to help those less fortunate. Many people find these opportunities through their jobs as local businesses sponsor, participate and lead their employees into active community service.

We do not neglect or ignore any segment of our citizenship. That's what creates "ghettos".

Old 04-30-2007, 05:54 PM

43 posts, read 142,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwest View Post
Watch out for the horrible crime in Tyler. GHETTO.
I cannot imagine what possible basis eastwest has for this statement.

I have lived in the Tyler area for about five years now and it is relatively crime free.

If one can say anything about the African American community it is that it is docile and uncomplaining despite considerable reason for grievance.

Old 06-04-2007, 04:50 PM

11 posts, read 54,057 times
Default About Lindale

Hello. About Lindale. It's a wonderful little town. Its growing at a very fast pace.
My family is originally from east texas. My wife & I visited lindale in feb 2006. We liked it so much we bought 6 acres right on F.M. 16

Old 09-28-2007, 12:44 PM

3 posts, read 19,968 times
Default Tyler Texas

Here is the Tyler Texas wiki which has some pretty helpful information about Tyler and what they have to offer:

Tyler has a very nice Zoo with the recent addition of a peguin exhibit. You can watch 5 pairs of peguins cohabitate and swim in a glass aqaurium type facility. It is really fun to watch them go at it.

Tyler, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-13-2008, 09:41 AM

1,197 posts, read 3,581,217 times
Default Traffic in Lindale

How is the traffic there now that the growth is happening? Three years ago, there was really no traffic heading up from Tyler. Has that changed recently and if so, has the town done a good job of expanding?
I've always enjoyed Lindale and the school district was top notch when I used to sub there.

Old 02-13-2008, 03:26 PM

Traffic? It depends on if you are coming from ...if you are coming for DFW then there's no traffic. If you are coming from Mineola...then you may think the traffic is heavier than it used to be. I've been told that it takes about 20 minutes to get from downtown Lindale to the loop in Tyler at 7:30am on a weekday.

Old 02-13-2008, 03:52 PM

1,197 posts, read 3,581,217 times
Okay, that helps. Can anyone tell me how Lindale has been affected with the growth happening there. Does it still have it's small town feel?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
View detailed profiles of: