U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-21-2009, 12:20 AM

20 posts, read 36,301 times

Advertisements

Hello!

We are moving BACK to Texas (thank heavens)!!! My family and are are originally from the DFW/northeast Texas area but are considering the Tyler and Lindale area for our next move. A few years ago we made a "blind" move to Shreveport, LA and could have chosen a better neighborhood had we had more information to go on (that's a polite understatement). Not wanting to make THAT mistake again , I am looking for some very specific insider information regarding neighborhoods in Tyler or Lindale. All I know of the area is that "Lindale has great schools" and "all the rich people live in south Tyler". My husband and I are both professionals with decent-paying and easily transferrable careers (he is a teacher and I am a registered nurse) and are looking for some solid upper middle class neighborhoods with good schools and low crime.

Im not a cookie-cutter suburban-ish kind of girl looking for a postage stamp property where your home looks just like your neighbor's and would prefer a neighborhood or part of town with larger lawns and diverse home plans/architecture. I love older homes but am interested in new construction as well. I really just want a nicely built home with character with a safe place for my children to play! What about some of the smaller towns like Whitehouse, Flint, Bullard and thier neighborhoods/divisions?

I've seen a few subdivisions (for lack of a better term) mentioned repeatedly on some of the real estate websites but haven't been able to find much neighborhood information. I don't mind commuting to work (imagine I will work at one of the many Tyler hospitals) and would love relatively easy access to a route to DFW (much loved and missed...but not where I want to raise my children).

If you were a young, growing middle-to-upper-middle class family where would be your dream home in Tyler?

Thanks for any help!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 08:48 AM

595 posts, read 1,728,260 times
I love Lindale!

Old 06-21-2009, 02:00 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,427,170 times
As a former real estate broker I would spend the time and have the client sit and view the mls listings on the computer in their price range. Then drive by the neighborhoods to give the buyer a "feel" for the areas. If you agent thinks their too busy for this, look for another agent!

I would now chose zip codes 75701 and 75703 plus Whitehouse, Lindale, Bullard, Flint and Southern Smith County.

Try going by the Chamber of Commerce and pick-up a city map, and drive areas of South Tyler or Central Historic District (Azales District).

Or even without a map drive some of the neighborhoods. Tyler is not so large as for this to be a difficult task, especially if you would to have the best information from which to make a decision.

If you don't want Tyler Public Schools, however, many professional upper middle, or upper income people send children to some of the public schools, then Tyler has at least 4 private schools grades Pk thru 12.

Good luck

Old 06-22-2009, 09:23 PM

I went over your post again and wanted to tell you why we chose Lindale over any other area of Tyler. We love the Lindale ISD. We have a child in the HS who after coming Frisco/Lewisville ISD has progressed much better than our wildest dreams. She loves the HS here. She feels very safe and the friends that she has made are such quality kids. There are many good schools in this area but we chose Lindale due to the fact that it's so easy to get to the DFW metroplex. As I have said in previous post we can get on I-20 and be in the eastern suburbs of the DFW area in 1 hr 10 minutes. We can easily go to a Ranger Game and be home 1 1/2 hours after the game is over. We go the the metrolplex at least once every two weeks to do a little shopping and see our older daughter. We also like the fact that it's just a quick to shop in Longview as it is in S Tyler. I would love to answer any and all questions you might have about the Lindale area.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:59 AM

4 posts, read 6,013 times
Do yourself a favor and do not do a blind move to this area and do not take a lot of what is said to heart on this board. We made a blind move here of 1800+ miles. I did all the research I could possibly do, unfortunately, was not able to actually come here before moving. We were told what a wonderful place it was, with such wonderful people and the job market was great with average wages comparable to what we are used to. (Info gleamed from local authorities via email and phone and Chamber of Commerce)
Tyler is a very pretty town but that is all that it has going for it. It is very warm and welcoming on the outside...don't let that fool ya. I have lived in small towns and big cities and rich places and poor places. This is the most pretentious bunch of people I have ever met in my life. The warm and welcoming part stops as soon as you try to go through the door. They are warm and welcoming long enough for you to spend your money and go away. They do not take real kindly to newcomers and unless you live on the 'correct' side of town, there are times that i feel my money isn't good enough to even be caught there. I am a white female/mid-aged with a family and I have no social agenda.

There is a great divide between the have's and the have-nots here. If you aren't a generously paid, professional of some type, then you will be considered a have-not. We're in the $50,000 range and are considered have-not's. I have never regretted a decision to move to a place more than I have regretted moving here. I have been here a year and although I am not a 'professonal' (doc/lawyer/cpa..etc) by choice (I chose to raise my kids instead of trying to have it all) I have always been paid well for what I do well...not here.

We are, after 1 year of being here, moving back to where we came from. This was represented as an area where we thought we would be paid decent wages, there was a lot of work and we would be welcoked (as Southerners are known for) but the truth is a very different reality.

Being in the fields that you are professionally, you wil probably not have any problems fitting into the correct social classes here. And that is what Tyler seems to be founded on...social classes. I have talked with a lot of people here and 'the good ole boy network' has not died out. I have friends that are wealthy, poor, middle class and everywhere in between. I consider myself a decent upstanding citizen and I have raised my children as such - but being caught in the class warfare that goes on here has truly opened my eyes (and my childrens, who are teenagers) and I find it very difficult to find a happy medium to feel comfortable in.

Good Luck on your move, I hope everything works out for you.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:54 AM

1,200 posts, read 1,427,170 times
Sorry about your experience. I'm surprised you were lied to about the low payscale. How was it you accepted a low wage scale and moved anyway? Where 1800 miles away did you move from? I moved here from Houston only made 30,000 a year in a state job. And have run into to very little of what you said. But, heck, that was your experience. I am sorry for that horrible experience. Good luck on your move.

Old 06-26-2009, 03:14 PM

We moved here from the DFW area (Frisco) 19 months ago...we have not had any problems fitting in here. We don't make a ton of money either. Now we don't live in Tyler proper...but I work in Tyler and I'm on several boards in Tyler. It's all what you make it.

Old 06-28-2009, 12:01 AM

3 posts, read 8,317 times
We love Whitehouse. Moved to Texas 7 years ago from Arizona and just got lucky with picking the Whitehouse School District.. My boys were in the 3rd & 5th when we first moved here... Now in HS they have loved all of their Whitehouse experiences... Being that you are a nurse I would imagine you'll be looking to work in Tyler.. Close to ETMC or Trinity Mother Frances... We work with ETMC and love that too... We are far enough from town, yet close enough too...

Old 06-28-2009, 09:01 AM

8,984 posts, read 15,710,836 times
Class warfare is everywhere. Have and have nots are everywhere. It's more extreme in the newer neighborhoods because people have, but they don't really HAVE, so it tends to be more cut throat. Insecurity is a bi*ch.. Just my experience with that.

Either you let it affect you, or you ignore it. The real HAVES don't get involved in the game and ignore it.

As to the good ol' boy system, well yes, it exists everywhere. And aren't those who can take advantage of it lucky? It's also called networking, and it's gone on for generations and will continue to do so, no matter how much the government tries to kill it.

No one said life was easy or fair. Good luck on your journey, I hope you land somewhere happy.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:58 PM

2 posts, read 2,567 times
You must look in Emerald Bay, aboug 20 minutes west of Tyler, large grocery and medical facilities, including extensive hospital work-out facilities within minutes. It is an older (40 year) beautiful surburban development with private golf course, safe streets and beautiful surroundings, located on Lake Palestine. Gated. Almost all buillt up -- older homes are currently coming down and being rebuilt...it is still possible to own a home in Emerald Bay for $150,000 (a couple new very small cottages in that price range), but most at that price are 70's era homes with some updating. But Homes range from that low ($150,000) to $1,000,000 plus. Emerald Bay has its own water supply and sewer system, and is run by the residents -- about 520 homes. No matter how much $ you have, each home is one vote. No one gets preference. Interesting community varying from folks who must watch their $ to multi-millionaires. Mostly plus 50 age but not restricted to that age and there are families with children who attend school -- I think in Bullard -- buses come right in the addition. VERY SAFE. Can ride your bike, roller blade or walk all through and around the addition. Swiming pool, 2 tennis courts, old basketball court. VERY unpretencious. Not your ordinary cookie-cutter neighborhood. Ducks, people, golf carts have the right of way. Driving through is like thinking of neighborhoods back in the 50-60's -- when everyone kept yards neat and waved to each other. Other than at the club dining room, not much to offer in the way of eating out in the area, small diners, fast food and BarBQ only. Other than driving into Tyler, no shopping other than groceries. Four lane highway all the way into Tyler, and about 1.5 hours from Dallas. You should look. Monthly fees are low for a country club....not your ordinary country club as we tend to think of them....very low key.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler