Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 06:44 PM

6 posts, read 14,797 times

Advertisements

Hi, I was looking to find a school in East Texas, preferrably around Tyler that are not closed minded on males with long hair and peircings. We have two teenage boys in high school, both have hair past the collar, and one has pierced lip. The school they currenty go to is great, very good school that does not judge people on their looks. I have been told Austin is the place to be because they just don't care! You can be gay, have spikes in your head, whatever~ being weird is normal there~ people are not judged~
But we are originally from the East Texas region, and since we have so much family that lives there we would like to stay in that area. So if anyone has any information please share~ Thanks so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 06:54 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apeladay View Post
Hi, I was looking to find a school in East Texas, preferrably around Tyler that are not closed minded on males with long hair and peircings. We have two teenage boys in high school, both have hair past the collar, and one has pierced lip. The school they currenty go to is great, very good school that does not judge people on their looks. I have been told Austin is the place to be because they just don't care! You can be gay, have spikes in your head, whatever~ being weird is normal there~ people are not judged~
But we are originally from the East Texas region, and since we have so much family that lives there we would like to stay in that area. So if anyone has any information please share~ Thanks so much!!
Long hair with piercings it not uncommon in Texas; I would assume as well as East Texas.However, It's been a while since I've been to Tyler though.

Old 07-18-2009, 08:03 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,465,801 times
You should probably check the dress codes of the school districts you are interested in and see what the rules are as far as length of hair and piercings on boys.

Old 07-19-2009, 01:22 AM

1,488 posts, read 5,238,155 times
Every school district is required to have printed copies of school regulations, including dress codes, available for parents/students. Many of them have them online on their district website.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:01 PM

14 posts, read 126,936 times
you'll have to end up in Tyler - probably at Lee or possibly Whitehouse. I can tell you flat out that Longview doesn't allow it and none of the smaller schools do, either. My advice? Stay in Austin.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:42 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
I doubt any of the schools in Tyler would allow it. Heck, I saw on the Dallas news where a girl was suspended from school for dying her hair.

This is Texas, not California. To be quite honest, I'm actually shocked Austin
schools would even allow it.

Most schools all over the country have some form of dress code.

Old 07-02-2010, 01:02 AM

816 posts, read 1,947,454 times
Definitely not Tyler ISD and Whitehouse ISD.

Old 07-02-2010, 07:09 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
the OP posted this originally almost a year ago--
thread was reopened by someone who obviously searched for some topic that tie to it and then posted w/o checking the date

Old 07-02-2010, 07:57 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Long hair is pretty much acceptable anywhere in Texas (Or so I thought; It's acceptable in Waco), but the pierced lips are not.

Old 07-03-2010, 05:25 AM

52,688 posts, read 47,955,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apeladay View Post

Well, good luck in finding what you're looking for. If you wish to move to Austin, then please do. Of course, your kids might have a devil of a time finding the right kind of job down the line since many companies and businesses have specific dress codes, so given their style, things could be limited. I say this now because most school districts also have specific standards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
View detailed profiles of: