U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-24-2009, 08:20 PM
 
Location: ITL (Houston)
9,223 posts, read 13,804,246 times
Reputation: 3545

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Any links to your said paper?

Here we are mourning the loss of an innocent man trying to do the right thing by helping SPED students & his teaching credentials are brought up as a factor in this cold blooded murder by a kid with a troubled upbringing?

LUDICROUS!!!

John Tyler has had a history of violence & racial tension for some time now. Nothing new there. I can remember back in my high school days between 94-98 at Robert E. Lee (Tyler's other high school) gang violence was a big issue over at JT & to some extent at REL.

This all boils down to parents (mostly minorities) failing to raise their children right...simple as that. You know if this was a white kid murdering a black teacher we'd have the NAACP causing a stink here in Tyler right away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-24-2009, 08:25 PM
 
Location: Upper East Side of Texas
12,521 posts, read 23,045,361 times
Reputation: 4890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
What was the face palm for? You have no idea what goes on here in Tyler. I should know first hand...I've lived it the past 20 some odd years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2009, 08:57 PM
 
Location: west texas
34 posts, read 122,563 times
Reputation: 25
One really can't seperate the people of a town and the times, they are a reflection of each other. I just made changes 5 years ago and left a progressive urban place back east and landed out here in west Texas where I live around little hamlets where people and life seem to be 5-7 years behind where I came from. Too when one hears of the names of certain places negative connections occur and there is usually some base to it: Little Rock and violence, Los Angeles and gangs Jackson and racism, Seminole and Mennonites, Des Moines and higher education. One just gets accustomed to making connections like this. I've always heard Tyler was a progressive middle class middle of the road suburban community. When it gets down to actual fact one may find gangs and violence and racism and higher educated or drop outs and even Mennonites any anytown and not everyone in LA is in a gang and not everyone in Des Moines is a college grad. No the times and people of a community are usually a reflection but have you ever drive any of the little hamlets in west Texas like Presidio or Van Horn or Sagauro or Lamesa or Sterling City or Robert Lee? most major behind the times in progress and most of the folks too but thats not necessarily a bad thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2009, 10:55 PM
 
Location: Northeast Texas
816 posts, read 1,673,535 times
Reputation: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Any links to your said paper?

Here we are mourning the loss of an innocent man trying to do the right thing by helping SPED students & his teaching credentials are brought up as a factor in this cold blooded murder by a kid with a troubled upbringing?

LUDICROUS!!!

John Tyler has had a history of violence & racial tension for some time now. Nothing new there. I can remember back in my high school days between 94-98 at Robert E. Lee (Tyler's other high school) gang violence was a big issue over at JT & to some extent at REL.

This all boils down to parents (mostly minorities) failing to raise their children right...simple as that. You know if this was a white kid murdering a black teacher we'd have the NAACP causing a stink here in Tyler right away.
I agree totally. It really is all about the parents.

I know all about between these two schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2009, 10:57 PM
 
Location: ITL (Houston)
9,223 posts, read 13,804,246 times
Reputation: 3545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
What was the face palm for? You have no idea what goes on here in Tyler. I should know first hand...I've lived it the past 20 some odd years.
No, it's just your ignorant NAACP comment (among other things). And how do you know I don't know what goes on in Tyler? Like I don't know anybody from there?

Child please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2009, 11:18 PM
 
Location: Northeast Texas
816 posts, read 1,673,535 times
Reputation: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
No, it's just your ignorant NAACP comment (among other things). And how do you know I don't know what goes on in Tyler? Like I don't know anybody from there?

Child please.
You sound like you're in the Minority too. You do know that would've happened. Doesn't truth hurt?

Your friends who live in Tyler probably just exaggerating what they've told you, probably.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2009, 11:23 PM
 
Location: ITL (Houston)
9,223 posts, read 13,804,246 times
Reputation: 3545
Yeah, okay

I heard about that stabbing yesterday. Some people here at my university from Tyler knew the teacher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2009, 11:52 PM
 
Location: Upper East Side of Texas
12,521 posts, read 23,045,361 times
Reputation: 4890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
No, it's just your ignorant NAACP comment (among other things). And how do you know I don't know what goes on in Tyler? Like I don't know anybody from there?

Child please.
How is it ignorant when its happened before at those schools & when I was attending one?

Do you even know the history of REL HS or what General Robert E. Lee stood for? Blacks are the ones responsible for forcing that school to change their mascot from the Rebel to the current Red Raider back in the 70's much like the University of Mississippi did with their Rebel mascot back in 2003.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2009, 11:55 PM
 
Location: ITL (Houston)
9,223 posts, read 13,804,246 times
Reputation: 3545
Yeah, I learned that yesterday actually, while we all were just sitting around talking in the TV room. And why does it matter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2009, 11:57 PM
 
Location: Northeast Texas
816 posts, read 1,673,535 times
Reputation: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
How is it ignorant when its happened before at those schools & when I was attending one?

Do you even know the history of REL HS or what General Robert E. Lee stood for? Blacks are the ones responsible for forcing that school to change their mascot from the Rebel to the current Red Raider back in the 70's much like the University of Mississippi did with their Rebel mascot back in 2003.
That is very true.

Political correctness is bull**** and only getting worst.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:35 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top