U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 08:41 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,621,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Just for LAnative's sake, I will post the "progressive, liberal minded" City of Denton's population makeup, a city very close in size to "ultra conservative" Tyler.

As of the 2000 census, there were 80,537 residents, known as "Dentonites", 30,895 households, and 16,405 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,309.7 people per square mile (505.7/km˛). There were 32,716 housing units at an average density of 532.0/sq mi (205.4/km˛). The racial makeup of the city was 75.62% White, 9.12% African American, 3.39% Asian, 0.58% Native American, 0.05% Pacific Islander, 8.85% from other races, and 2.40% from two or more races. Hispanics or Latinos of any race comprised 16.38% of the population.

As you can clearly see, the White population of Denton in 2000 was at 75.62% vs. 61.72% in Tyler. Tyler has a significantly larger Black population at 27% vs. Denton at a measly 9%. Denton has twice the Asian population of Tyler, yet the Hispanic population is exactly the same.

Denton is a White Bread town compared to Tyler & its a lot closer to Dallas too.
Yeah North Texas outside of Dallas is very white bread. However, Denton isn't as conservative as Tyler and this is mostly due to the college scene there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 08:47 PM

12,521 posts, read 23,062,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Yeah North Texas outside of Dallas is very white bread. However, Denton isn't as conservative as Tyler and this is mostly due to the college scene there.
Very true statement.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:27 PM

13,403 posts, read 21,140,090 times
Quote:
Just for LAnative's sake, I will post the "progressive, liberal minded" City of Denton's population makeup, a city very close in size to "ultra conservative" Tyler.

As of the 2000 census, there were 80,537 residents, known as "Dentonites", 30,895 households, and 16,405 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,309.7 people per square mile (505.7/km˛). There were 32,716 housing units at an average density of 532.0/sq mi (205.4/km˛). The racial makeup of the city was 75.62% White, 9.12% African American, 3.39% Asian, 0.58% Native American, 0.05% Pacific Islander, 8.85% from other races, and 2.40% from two or more races. Hispanics or Latinos of any race comprised 16.38% of the population.

As you can clearly see, the White population of Denton in 2000 was at 75.62% vs. 61.72% in Tyler. Tyler has a significantly larger Black population at 27% vs. Denton at a measly 9%. Denton has over twice the Asian population of Tyler, yet the Hispanic & rest of the population is exactly the same.

Denton is a White Bread town compared to Tyler & its a lot closer to Dallas too which is whats so surprising.
This post is worthless to say the least. I respect the arguement you made for Tyler, but this makes me think youre trying to hard to prove a point that doesnt exist.

Youre comparing the demographics of the cities of Denton and Tyler and using Denton's proximity to Dallas to prove what? If you think whatever Denton is proves anything about Dallas, would you say that Cleveland proves anything about Houston?

Where did you see me say that I thought Denton was more progressive than Tyler? It is, but I never said it until now. And is Jluke points out, the reason it is more progressive is because of UNT.

Also you should look up the definitions of diverse vs. progressive. They mean two different things, yet you seem to think they are the same. I said Tyler isnt progressive and I dont think it is, but I never once said Tyler isnt diverse. I also never said Tyler was a racist or racial town.

Tyler is a traditional and conservative city. Thats wonderful. Tyler is far from the worst Texas has to offer. I have nothing against that. Based off of your posts Matt, you are also a very politically conservative person. There isnt anything wrong with that.

Last edited by Cowboys fan in Houston; 12-16-2009 at 09:36 PM..

Old 12-16-2009, 11:29 PM

12,521 posts, read 23,062,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Based off of your posts Matt, you are also a very politically conservative person. There isnt anything wrong with that.
I consider myself a Moderte, or Middle of the road, leaning a little more to the right.

For Texas Governor, I'm voting for ex-Houston Mayor Bill White, a Democrat. He did an unprecedented job handling Hurricane Katrina when I was living down in H-town during the midst of it all & he later became some what of a national celebrity for his swift handling of a job the incompetent Mayor Naggin of New Orleans couldn't & wouldn't handle.

Bill White also later headed the largest evacuation of a major city in US history with over 5.5 million people fleeing Houston during Hurricane Rita. I was there for that one too & was stuck on I-45 for over 16 hours driving back to stay with family in Tyler which is normally a 3-3 1/2 hour trip each way.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 12-16-2009 at 11:43 PM..

Old 12-17-2009, 06:30 AM

13,403 posts, read 21,140,090 times
Quote:
I consider myself a Moderte, or Middle of the road, leaning a little more to the right.

For Texas Governor, I'm voting for ex-Houston Mayor Bill White, a Democrat. He did an unprecedented job handling Hurricane Katrina when I was living down in H-town during the midst of it all & he later became some what of a national celebrity for his swift handling of a job the incompetent Mayor Naggin of New Orleans couldn't & wouldn't handle.

Bill White also later headed the largest evacuation of a major city in US history with over 5.5 million people fleeing Houston during Hurricane Rita. I was there for that one too & was stuck on I-45 for over 16 hours driving back to stay with family in Tyler which is normally a 3-3 1/2 hour trip each way.
Yeah, I like Bill White too. I would vote for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or