U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-15-2010, 06:37 AM
 
Location: Wisconsin
571 posts, read 900,297 times
Reputation: 637
Default Is Tyler (Smith County) a dry county?

I'm seeing conflicting articles on the Web, so I thought I would ask my Texan friends.

Does anyone know if Smith County is a "Dry" county?


Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-15-2010, 03:36 PM
 
217 posts, read 598,713 times
Reputation: 79
I believe some parts of the county approved the sale of alcohol in a recent election.

They do serve alcohol at some restaurants & private clubs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2010, 04:55 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
571 posts, read 900,297 times
Reputation: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripley View Post
I believe some parts of the county approved the sale of alcohol in a recent election.

They do serve alcohol at some restaurants & private clubs.

Thank you Ripley. Do you know if there's a website or literature that shows or says what the laws are. We've never been in a dry place before.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2010, 08:45 PM
 
217 posts, read 598,713 times
Reputation: 79
I have not looked, but I would start with The Smith County site, or TABC.

Here is an article about the City of Winona's recent election:
Winona voters approve alcohol | Patriot Talon

Here is another about the original voting plans, contains names of people you could contact:
Smith County Commissioners Call Election Concerning Alcohol Sales in J.P. Precinct 4 | www.bullardnews.com | The Bullard Banner

If you're on facebook, check out this site: "Make Smith County Wet"
Make Smith County Wet | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=77519816525 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2010, 08:59 AM
 
Location: Visitation between Wal-Mart & Home Depot
8,310 posts, read 19,916,152 times
Reputation: 6605
Quote:
Originally Posted by hankejp View Post
I'm seeing conflicting articles on the Web, so I thought I would ask my Texan friends.

Does anyone know if Smith County is a "Dry" county?


Thanks
Sort of. You can walk into any restaurant, mosey up to the bar and have a beer, wine or hard drink BUT you have to be a member of the Unicard system. That basically means that the first time you ordered a drink in Smith County you paid an extra $5.00 and filled out a little form in order to be legal.

I think (but do not know) that this exploits a loophole in the ordinance that banned public drinking establishments but permitted consumption of alcohol in a private club. By paying a nominal fee, you own a membership in a private club.

You can not, however, waltz into any gas station or supermarket and purchase a bottle of wine or a six-pack of beer. That can get a bit weary, but there are liquor stores stacked up on the county line down Hwy 155 to the SW (about 25 minutes from downtown), and out Hwy 31 to the East (also about 25 minutes from downtown and probably 15 minutes past the Apache drive-in porn theater).

There are upsides to Smith county's dry status. For example, you never see panhandlers in Tyler because there are no liquor stores or widely available alcohol. To me, this lends some credence to the idea that you should never give change to a panhandler.

Tyler is an acquired taste, but it's also a great family town. The town, as a whole, can sometimes take itself a bit too seriously and the gossip circle can be quit fervent, but if you give it a chance, start with an open mind and agree to disagree with some of the silliness - its a nice place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2010, 10:02 AM
 
Location: Wisconsin
571 posts, read 900,297 times
Reputation: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Sort of. You can walk into any restaurant, mosey up to the bar and have a beer, wine or hard drink BUT you have to be a member of the Unicard system. That basically means that the first time you ordered a drink in Smith County you paid an extra $5.00 and filled out a little form in order to be legal.

I think (but do not know) that this exploits a loophole in the ordinance that banned public drinking establishments but permitted consumption of alcohol in a private club. By paying a nominal fee, you own a membership in a private club.

You can not, however, waltz into any gas station or supermarket and purchase a bottle of wine or a six-pack of beer. That can get a bit weary, but there are liquor stores stacked up on the county line down Hwy 155 to the SW (about 25 minutes from downtown), and out Hwy 31 to the East (also about 25 minutes from downtown and probably 15 minutes past the Apache drive-in porn theater).

There are upsides to Smith county's dry status. For example, you never see panhandlers in Tyler because there are no liquor stores or widely available alcohol. To me, this lends some credence to the idea that you should never give change to a panhandler.

Tyler is an acquired taste, but it's also a great family town. The town, as a whole, can sometimes take itself a bit too seriously and the gossip circle can be quit fervent, but if you give it a chance, start with an open mind and agree to disagree with some of the silliness - its a nice place.
Thank you Jimbo. I think this cleared up quite a bit. It's actually not for me, but for my brother who is on his way there. He was all worried...LOL....he likes his martini's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2010, 04:43 PM
 
1,046 posts, read 1,218,062 times
Reputation: 409
Need a little updating. In the distant past you did need a unicard to order a drink, beer, wine, mixed, in a restuarant now, just go in like you are in Dallas and elsewhere and just order a drink, no ID. is there is no doubt about your age, ha, ha. no unicard required, now for the clubs with dancing and drinkin' they will run your drivers license thru some machine and check you out for background again on unicard needed, now, may or may not need to pay a cover charge.

Winona, about 10 miles from the northeast city limits of Tyler in Smith County Precinct 4, I think, just went "wet" for package store sales of, beer,wine and hard stuff. Whitehouse, setting on Tyler's southeast city limits will have an election this fall to go "wet" Bullard sitting on Tyler's southside will have and election in the fall, Troup just past Whitehouse will have an election in May. No word yet on any move for an election in Tyler, however, I bet it's coming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2010, 07:17 PM
 
Location: Upper East Side of Texas
12,241 posts, read 12,311,510 times
Reputation: 4683
Not anymore. Smith County is officially wet after 70 some odd years being dry.

However, only wine bottled in Texas can be sold within the Tyler city limits. Winona, which is in Northern Smith County is allowed to openly sell any kind of alcohol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2010, 07:01 AM
 
Location: Visitation between Wal-Mart & Home Depot
8,310 posts, read 19,916,152 times
Reputation: 6605
I lived in Tyler from 2003 to 2005. When I think about it, I guess that was the distant past and I am now an old fart with kids who tells young motorists to "SLOW DOWN!!!".

Matt: that's a pretty sweet deal for the winery off of 259. They have a captive audience of about 100,000 people just a little ways north.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2010, 12:15 PM
 
Location: Upper East Side of Texas
12,241 posts, read 12,311,510 times
Reputation: 4683
Jacksonville in Cherokee County, which is just 30 miles south of Tyler recently went wet. Bullard & Whitehouse in Smith County are voting on the proposed new liquor laws as we speak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top