Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 11:18 AM
Red

32 posts, read 163,865 times

Advertisements

You don't want to move to Tyler. No one should move to Tyler. Go to SA or Austin or Dallas. Everyone should move to one of those cities. Actually, on second thought, everyone should move to Oklahoma or Mississippi so that Texas house prices can stay reasonable. Tyler's mine, all mine! You people need to keep Tyler a secret!

--Red
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2006, 01:00 PM

437 posts, read 2,238,862 times
Can I please have a little of Tyler? I won't bother you. We all know how wonderful Tyler is that is why we are coming. That was sweet.

Old 11-26-2006, 03:50 PM

82 posts, read 221,848 times
My husband and I may be moving to Tyler due to a promotion in his career. I am an artist, having some sucess in both Louisiana (prior to Katrina) and now Chicago. I am investigating the southern part of Tyler as an area to move into and would love some tips on the city (close enough to nice restaurants, shows, shopping, but in a subdivision type area)... our budget is set around 200k. We'll be looking for a place large enough to encompass an art studio. Hopefully I'll be able to make connections there so that I can begin to take in students for workshops. I have not found much in the way of art leagues there yet, or there's little internet presence. I'm also curious about galleries not connected with the university.

Old 12-11-2006, 12:46 PM

4 posts, read 29,307 times
You might want to consider the downtown azalea district as a place to live; there are quite a few old homes that have been restored with natural hardwood floors,etc. The reason I'm suggesting it is for your art studio. There are several quaint shops in the area and downtown that are on that line. OF course, south Tyler is great,too. I would consider the holleytree subdivision or some of the subdivisions on Paluxy Drive south of Loop 323. As far as shopping Broadway has the best shops and more coming in all the time. Brookshires is the place for groceries-locally owned chain that has convenient banks inside (Southside State Bank) and the owners are very community oriented and really do a lot for our city. The Junior League of Tyler would be a great place to meet people that have a lot of connections with the "art world". There is Tyler Jr College and the University of Texas at Tyler to consider for art students. The Tyler Museum of Art would be a great place to look into as well. The Rose Festival has many opportunities for advertising and meeting people. Green Acres Baptist Church is a large church but very warm and has something for every age - I would love to have you there as my guest! (birtk@suddenlink.net)

Old 01-06-2007, 12:31 PM

8 posts, read 44,423 times
I love Tyler! My husband and I moved here in May of 2006 (we planted a church-Calvary Chapel Tyler in November 2004 and had been commuting until then) The pay rate is lower, but there are still houses that are easily affordable. There are two great healthcare systems (Trinity Mother Frances, and ETMC) lots of restaurants, churches, parks and then of course is the Rose Garden, The azalea district and the Caldwell Zoo! It still has most of the "brand name" restaurants and shops without the big city push. There are two high schools, and yes as the others have mentioned there is a bit of an economic divide. You have huge, expensive houses, then a block later find the old wood frame houses.

If you are in Tyler, and are looking for a church please drop by. the website is: www.calvarytyler.com for more information.

Old 01-06-2007, 04:32 PM

Hi brokenground, glad to hear you like Tyler. That is where we would like to live if only our house would sell.

It is good to hear some good things about Tyler. Not to many live there that are on the forum here. So I do appreciate you taking your time and coming on.

Anything else you can share with us about Tyler and the surrounding areas? WE want about 3 to 4 acres just outside of town so that we can have our dogs (9) so as not to bother others. They are good dogs. They are our kids you know.

So here we sit waiting for Spring to get here and maybe this time the house will sell.

Take Care and don't be a stranger.

Old 01-06-2007, 06:27 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,008,637 times
We currently live in the Arizona Desert. We visited Tyler in July via DFW Airport. We were somewhat amused...from the time we got off the plane everyone complained about the heat. The record 100 degree heat etc. Once we got to Tyler and spent a few days there, we couldn't understand what all the fuss was about...lol. Granted, the air seems a little heavier (if that makes sense) but for us it was NO WHERE NEAR as miserable as where we come from. Here in Arizona we deal with 125+ in the summer and from July-Sept we have what's called monsoon season which makes it even more unbearable. I was afraid we would suffer in the humid climate...I'm sure your body becomes acclimated it seems worse however. We also had the joy of experiencing one of Tyler's sudden Thunderstorms....loved that too!
Right now we are kind of torn between Tyler and the San Antonio area. We haven't been to San Antonio yet, but hopefully in the next couple of months we can visit. So far I think Tyler is where we'll be and BrokenGround, rest assured will come visit your church! Tyler is beautiful and full of great people (the only person we met we didn't care for was our first real estate lady, other than that, wonderful people). Dumb enough, the only thing that makes me hesitate is that I have heard there are more ticks and chiggers etc in East Texas than San Antonio area...how true is that?...I'm not sure!
Good luck to you bound and maybe we'll meet up along with Brokenground in Tyler

Old 01-06-2007, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawgpz550 View Post
We currently live in the Arizona Desert. We visited Tyler in July via DFW Airport. We were somewhat amused...from the time we got off the plane everyone complained about the heat. The record 100 degree heat etc. Once we got to Tyler and spent a few days there, we couldn't understand what all the fuss was about...lol. Granted, the air seems a little heavier (if that makes sense) but for us it was NO WHERE NEAR as miserable as where we come from. Here in Arizona we deal with 125+ in the summer and from July-Sept we have what's called monsoon season which makes it even more unbearable. I was afraid we would suffer in the humid climate...I'm sure your body becomes acclimated it seems worse however. We also had the joy of experiencing one of Tyler's sudden Thunderstorms....loved that too!
Right now we are kind of torn between Tyler and the San Antonio area. We haven't been to San Antonio yet, but hopefully in the next couple of months we can visit. So far I think Tyler is where we'll be and BrokenGround, rest assured will come visit your church! Tyler is beautiful and full of great people (the only person we met we didn't care for was our first real estate lady, other than that, wonderful people). Dumb enough, the only thing that makes me hesitate is that I have heard there are more ticks and chiggers etc in East Texas than San Antonio area...how true is that?...I'm not sure!
Good luck to you bound and maybe we'll meet up along with Brokenground in Tyler
Don't forget the snakes. Thanks for your story. I am from Apple Valley, Ca. The high desert and I was wondering if I was going to be able to stand the weather they talk about in East Texas. Glad to hear you thought it was alright. Something we Calif will get used to. Not so bad. Great

So many have said Tyler was beautiful. I can't wait to go and visit. I was in Longview and I liked that also.

When are you moving? Everyone seems to be getting out of Arizona for some reason. They say that it is just like Calif. Very expensive also. I have had enough of the desert. I need some greeeeeeen.

Old 01-06-2007, 10:13 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,008,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bound for Texas View Post
Don't forget the snakes. Thanks for your story. I am from Apple Valley, Ca. The high desert and I was wondering if I was going to be able to stand the weather they talk about in East Texas. Glad to hear you thought it was alright. Something we Calif will get used to. Not so bad. Great

So many have said Tyler was beautiful. I can't wait to go and visit. I was in Longview and I liked that also.

When are you moving? Everyone seems to be getting out of Arizona for some reason. They say that it is just like Calif. Very expensive also. I have had enough of the desert. I need some greeeeeeen.
If you're in Apple Valley you'll know where I live. Bullhead City/Laughlin, NV. I am also tired of the desert and ready for some GREEN! My daughter was born in Apple Valley at St Marys Hosptial. My sister lived in Apple Valley for several years and worked for Dr. Mac Reddy, maybe you know who he is?
Yeah, I'm sure there are more snakes in east Texas as well. I am more worried about that having kids than I am the ticks...but we'll manage. It's worth leaving the desert for. I have been here for 18+ years and have had enough.
We are looking at moving at the beginning of summer as soon as the kids get out of school. Hopefully will give us a chance to get there and get used to things before school starts.
I don't know how much you know about the Tyler area and I don't know if you have or will have kids going to school or??? You can get some good deals in and all around Tyler. However, If you have kids that will be going to public school, you will really want to consider Lindale, Troup and Whitehouse schools. Stay away from Chapel Hill (NOT GOOD). Tyler schools are not very good either. It was my understanding that John Tyler High was the school to stay away from, however, Robert E Lee isn't very good either. I don't know what ethnicity you are, but Tyler High whites are minority and there is a lot of gang activity. Lee High has more whites, but they are growing in fights etc and if you go to greatschools.net you'll notice their test scores are not very good either. Lindale, Troup and Whitehouse are the better choices.
I have done quite a bit of research so if you have any questions, I can try to answer them.

Old 01-07-2007, 09:31 AM

Great information, thanks so much. No, my son and grandson will be staying here.

We are looking at places for us as retirees but need to be out of the city because of all the dogs we have..

WE have gangs here too so that is sad to hear. I wonder if the gangs there are the same as we have here. These gangs kill you for $4.00 bucks. Very hard core. Then they have wantabees who are not so dangerous. There is a difference.

I am white and have no problems with any race. I am to old to deal with that kind of thing at my age. I hope I will love the Tyler area even though they have their problems.

Yes, we all know Dr Reddy, St Mary's. Won't miss any of this stuff. Growing to fast for me. We live in the County and all we see now is wells being made. Noise, new people with their quads/cars speeding by. It is a different age group moving here.

I would hate to move so far away and find the same problems we have hear. That is my worry. 1500 miles and find the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler