U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 03:01 PM

5 posts, read 26,731 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me any info on Tyler Texas please. I got a great job offer that Im considering but I would like to know how the people are (friendly, racial, small town mentality or other things) Any info would be helpful. I have a large family and we are racially mixed. Puerto Rican and Black children. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2007, 07:01 PM

595 posts, read 2,426,252 times
Wow! We found out we are being transferred to Tyler. My hubby has to start his new job the 16th of July!!! We are moving from a suburb north of Dallas. We have decided to locate in Lindale, Texas which is 10 miles north of Tyler. Their highschool has one of the best ratings in the state. We both know a lot about Tyler. There is so much history there. Also...the town is very beautiful. I don't think a racially mixed family would have a problem. The prices on housing is cheap! Great houses under 200,000.00!!!! Good luck! Do a search on Tyler and several past post will come up.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 06-05-2012 at 09:48 AM..

Old 06-15-2007, 04:24 PM

434 posts, read 1,588,447 times
I grew up near Tyler and it is a great place to live! It is growing really fast and has everything you need and there are more transplants there every year. Just be careful about which area you move into because there is a bad side of town like every other town. Where are you moving from? Buying or renting? What part of town would the new job be in?

Old 06-15-2007, 11:48 PM

5 posts, read 26,731 times
The new job is at one of the local hospitals and I would be looking to buy. Thank you to all that responded. What parts are the bad parts?

Old 06-16-2007, 06:38 AM

Based on where you'll be working I would look to the East and Southeast of the loop. (It should be obvious on the map, it's loop 323) If you look at a map you can tell Tyler is growing South so obviously the North part of town is the old and not so nice part. If you go far enough north that you are out of town there are some nice "burbs" like Lindale but you still have to commute throught the creepy part of town. You can check this website you are on for crime stats by zip or just google it and that will help you eliminate areas. Depending on how long of a commute you want and how much you intend to spend, the area down hwy 69 starting at the loop on the south side and going south (toward Bullard) is the newest nicest area that is affordable and there are existing homes as well as new homes there. Also that is where the mall and the best shopping is Any of the schools on the south side or east are ok (Chapel Hill, Robert E Lee etc) Stay away from the areas the would be in the John Tyler High School district. Any more question?

Old 06-16-2007, 07:51 AM

595 posts, read 2,426,252 times
Depending on where you are coming from...what some people consider the bad part of town is relative....we are coming from the DFW area. Tyler like all city has a lower income area...but right in the big middle of that area is the Azalea District which is where all the "old" Texas oil money lives. The area is as pretty as anything you will see. It's been in Southern Living many times. I agree about John Tyler HS. For the life of me I can't figure out why Tyler can't get that school cleaned up. We looked at the south part of Tyler also...but we wanted to be closer to I-20 for access to Dallas and the entertainment and arts. My husband is an avid golfer and the gated community we are moving into has 27 holes of golf and 3 lakes!

Old 06-21-2007, 03:41 PM

1 posts, read 8,129 times
hey - i am planning to move to tyler in the next 2 weeks - from what i hear south and south east of the loop is the "good area" - now would you guys know - where exactly do i look appts for renting- whitehouse? bullard? any link which has the appartmnets listed?
As for me i am moving alone - just looking for a peaceful - safe neighbourhood to live in!

Old 06-22-2007, 11:54 AM

5 posts, read 23,758 times
The Tyler area must be experiencing an influx - my family will be moving to the area as well in the next month. I am glad I found this thread, it helps to know that where we need to live (on the S/SE side) is considered a good, safe area. my husband will be working in Troup, so we were hoping to live on that "side" of Tyler, or perhaps halfway between, in Whitehouse. Any info on that area?? And thanks to Clawson and Destin - I have three school-age children, 4th grade, 8th grade, and 11th grade so getting near good schools is a high priority!

Old 06-22-2007, 04:50 PM

Hi Nwlamom! Here is a good site to compare schools!

2005-06 AEIS Reports

Tax info here
Tyler Texas - Smith County Property Tax Information

I don't have kids but lived there when I was one and would say stay away from TROUP SCHOOL. My nephew goes there now (as did I) and it is too small, no gifted programs, really clannish etc. Property taxes in Whitehouse are high but it is a good "medium sized" school. (Be sure to look at County, city, and school tax to get the "real" tax total.) If I were choosing I would live in the Tyler School District (TISD) so the kids could go to Robert E Lee High School. Other than private schools I think they have the most programs and variety of extra-c's in the area. It is a larger school than Whitehouse and the taxes are much lower. If you are looking for something "medium sized" Whitehouse isn't a bad town just more of an AG program focus than the Tyler Schools. Whitehouse has a grocery store, movie rental, pizza joint etc but you will still have to drive to Tyler for most shopping. They did just build a fabulous new Super Wal-Mart on 110 heading out of Tyler toward Whitehouse so that would be convenient. The main reason I would have rather gone to Lee in Tyler than a smaller school like Troup is they have a lot more to offer for college prep etc. Any other questions I can answer about the area feel free to PM me.

Old 06-24-2007, 03:30 PM

4 posts, read 20,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by destin04 View Post
Wow! We found out we are being transferred to Tyler. My hubby has to start his new job the 16th of July!!! We are moving from a suburb north of Dallas. We have decided to locate in Lindale, Texas which is 10 miles north of Tyler. Their highschool has one of the best ratings in the state. We both know a lot about Tyler. There is so much history there. Also...the town is very beautiful. I don't think a racially mixed family would have a problem. The prices on housing is cheap! Great houses under 200,000.00!!!! Good luck! Do a search on Tyler and several past post will come up.
Cheap is in the eye of the beholder. Maybe to you, someone from the big city of Dallas, $200,000 is cheap. But to me, someone that was born and raised in the "small" town of Tyler, $200,000 is ridiculously expensive.

Used to be you had no problem buying a very nice house for less than $100,000 dollars. Now, with all the new "McMansions" sprouting up in this area, it's artificially increasing property values all over Smith county. In fact, we have a new developement called the Cascades that will be offering multi-million dollar homesites. In a town of barely 100,000 people.

Used to be lots of diversity here. Lots of blue-collar jobs and white-collar jos. Now, Tyler is mostly Doctors, Lawyers, and businessmen. Us poor blue-collar people are being forced out of our town simply because we can't afford to live here anymore.

As far as living locations, inside Tyler city limits:

South side = wealthiest part of town

North side = poorest part of town

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 06-05-2012 at 09:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or