Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you like to live here?
Yes, Tyler is beautiful city full of potential! 82 38.68%
No, its a boring retirement town full of old people & no nightlife. 95 44.81%
Maybe, I would have to see more of it... 39 18.40%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 05:32 PM

580 posts, read 1,081,264 times

Advertisements

Exactly. I'm not saying Tyler is this little one-horse town, because it is a city, but it's not a teeming metropolis either.

Although based on what Metro Matt said, it sounds like there are quite a bit of interesting things to do there. Perhaps I might stop in for a day whenever I get the chance, if I'm out that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 06:01 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,972,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoZ View Post
Exactly. I'm not saying Tyler is this little one-horse town, because it is a city, but it's not a teeming metropolis either.

Although based on what Metro Matt said, it sounds like there are quite a bit of interesting things to do there. Perhaps I might stop in for a day whenever I get the chance, if I'm out that way.

Yeah, I fully realize that Tyler isnt what many consider a real city...and I kind of expect that from people who have traveled a bit. To tell the truth, up until EXTREMELY recently, I always referred to Tyler as a small town...I only stopped doing so because its recent development has made it stand out quite a bit by the standards of east Texas. Plus, Ive been to places that were FAR, FAR, FAR worse off than Tyler in terms of things to do, close minded people, cliquishness, backwardness, and lack of development. **Looking at you Lynchburg, VA.** So I can fully understand what you're talking about, and again, I have never really expected anyone to go to Tyler/Longview, and feel like they were in a real metro area. It just doesnt feel that way..It feels like a great smaller city, but it doesnt exactly have the development nor the bustle of a city like Little Rock or really even Shreveport. (which some consider another medium sized town)...I think its well on its way though

Last edited by solytaire; 06-09-2010 at 06:20 PM..

Old 06-10-2010, 03:44 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,080,951 times
Can't believe I almost missed this thread. Not on here much anymore. I read all the posts. LeoZ needs to make a visit in late March or early April and late October. Also, look around a bit. Did you say you wouldn't live in Tyler for anything? Why? Have you been there?

As I post this I think 21 people have it correct. Tyler is a pretty/beautiful place to live. Now, compared to most anyplace in Texas, not the USA.

Austin is pretty in a different way. And the posts, by Suzzi were way off, what town was she talking about - It wasn't the Tyler I have lived in 44 of my 64 years. 20 in Houston, which I liked.

Tyler is not an "OLD folks town" FULL of retirees. Hardly above average in retirees. But so true, it is not a party town either, so if that is what you need, DFW,Austin, Houston are the places.

Tyler is nothing like Fort Worth and little like Waco. imo

Yes, it is consevative, but not so much that Palin and Beck represent most of the town, not so, it's just that there is enough interest in all of East Texas for them to make there one stop in East Texas in the largest city, Tyler, that's it. Many liberals have said in many other posts, they haven't really had a problem living in Tyler, sure a few may say that there are "issues"

All and all Tyler has so much to offer for a city it's size. Just do a "search" from the tool bar at the start of page of city-data, chose "posts" not threads, and enter Mark-Tyler is Special, and read my 2 plus years of responses to requests about all aspects of living in Tyler, that I have made. Many very specific.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:22 AM

21 posts, read 92,553 times
We live about 45 miles from Tyler, but have family members there and go to Tyler on a regular basis for most of our major shopping.

I'd rate Tyler as an excellent location for a town of its size in NE Texas. Main drawbacks are common to everywhere in this part of the country: hot and often humid summers. Weather is usually nice rest of the year.

The town has excellent medical care and a typical selection of restaurants and shopping for a town of about 75,000 people. There are some very attractive residential areas.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:31 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimb2 View Post
We live about 45 miles from Tyler, but have family members there and go to Tyler on a regular basis for most of our major shopping.

I'd rate Tyler as an excellent location for a town of its size in NE Texas. Main drawbacks are common to everywhere in this part of the country: hot and often humid summers. Weather is usually nice rest of the year.

The town has excellent medical care and a typical selection of restaurants and shopping for a town of about 75,000 people. There are some very attractive residential areas.
Tyler had 75,000 people 15 years ago!

Its well over 100,000 in the city & 200,000 in the metro area now for sure. In fact, some numbers put it as high as 250,000.

The greater Tyler area is the hub of East Texas & the largest between Dallas, Shreveport, & Houston.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:15 PM

816 posts, read 1,946,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
The greater Tyler area is the hub of East Texas & the largest between Dallas, Shreveport, & Houston.
And Tulsa, OK.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:55 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,769,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by An0nym0us88 View Post
And Tulsa, OK.
If I was interested in a smaller metro, I would take Tulsa over Tyler in a heartbeat. Much prettier topography, a decent university, much better restaurants, a real art museum, much better architecture and a wash in terms of getting to a real city- DFW. Tulsa >>>> Tyler by any objective measure, despite being in OK., for the TX board. Tulsa would be livable for me, Tyler not so much!

Old 06-22-2010, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
If I was interested in a smaller metro, I would take Tulsa over Tyler in a heartbeat. Much prettier topography, a decent university, much better restaurants, a real art museum, much better architecture and a wash in terms of getting to a real city- DFW. Tulsa >>>> Tyler by any objective measure, despite being in OK., for the TX board. Tulsa would be livable for me, Tyler not so much!
Seriously?

You can't even compare Tyler to Tulsa, a metro twice the size of Tyler's. That would be like me comparing Dallas to Los Angeles, in theory.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:28 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,769,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Seriously?

You can't even compare Tyler to Tulsa, a metro twice the size of Tyler's. That would be like me comparing Dallas to Los Angeles, in theory.
People compare Dallas to L.A all the time! What's your point? Both Tulsa and Tyler feel like dumpy small metros on the edge of the southern plains. Tulsa has a real downtown, I can think of at least twenty Texas towns that have a more vibrant and attractive town square than Tyler - many way smaller: Georgetown, Boerne, Fredericksburg, Gonzales, Columbus, Uvalde - to name a few! I think in Tyler, you have the worst of both worlds, none of the excitement of the big city, but some of its strip mall sprawl horror, and little of small town charm, but all of its parochialism! There are a few blocks of very pretty Victorian houses in Tyler, but other than that, what makes it distinctive or interesting? Everywhere in East Texas from the Woodlands to Paris has all trees. I think Paris, TX, despite its ugly history, is a prettier town than Tyler.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
People compare Dallas to L.A all the time! What's your point? Both Tulsa and Tyler feel like dumpy small metros on the edge of the southern plains. Tulsa has a real downtown, I can think of at least twenty Texas towns that have a more vibrant and attractive town square than Tyler - many way smaller: Georgetown, Boerne, Fredericksburg, Gonzales, Columbus, Uvalde - to name a few! I think in Tyler, you have the worst of both worlds, none of the excitement of the big city, but some of its strip mall sprawl horror, and little of small town charm, but all of its parochialism! There are a few blocks of very pretty Victorian houses in Tyler, but other than that, what makes it distinctive or interesting? Everywhere in East Texas from the Woodlands to Paris has all trees. I think Paris, TX, despite its ugly history, is a prettier town than Tyler.
None of those towns have the roses, azaleas, & dogwoods Tyler has. Tyler is considered the Rose Capital of the World & boasts the annual Rose Queen Festival. The city was named after 10th US President John Tyler.

Tyler also boasts one of the state's nicest zoo's & it used to be free admission FOR EVERYONE up until a few years ago when funds finally dried up after 50 something years. It was all paid for by founder Mr. David King Caldwell. He adored kids. The largest African Elephant in the country can be found there.

Tyler State Park is a nice get away. It offers camping, fishing, boating, mountain biking, bird watching, hiking, & swimming.

The largest medical centers between Dallas & Houston are here. ETMC is East Texas' only Level 1 Trauma Center.

We may not have the most bustling small downtown in Texas, but its far from the worst. Downtown Tyler currently has 3 bars (one rooftop) a coffee shop, Subway, apartment lofts, a Main Street art gallery, a Children's Science Discovery Place, & a new urban market going in on the square...& Oh my gosh how could I forget the renovation of the old Liberty Theater into the new home of the East Texas Symphony Orchestra concert hall.

For higher education we have the famous TJC Apache Belles & the University of Texas at Tyler. We also have an historic all Black college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler