U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you like to live here?
Yes, Tyler is beautiful city full of potential! 80 38.28%
No, its a boring retirement town full of old people & no nightlife. 94 44.98%
Maybe, I would have to see more of it... 39 18.66%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 209. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 03:15 PM

1 posts, read 12,298 times

Advertisements

Ok so a few years ago I went to Tyler in hopes of moving there. My original plan was to try to put my daughter in Brooks Hill School in Bullard, to which they said they are a non-demo school but seemed to be more christian(we are catholic, so no biggie)...My original impression of place was it was removed, and even though 90 miles from Dallas it seemed farther. My husband liked it more than I as he is more country. Even with a decent population, sorry but it seemed country, lol...I really wanted to like it but just couldn't. What I did like was it is pretty and does have what someone would need on day to day(stoores, chains) I also like the slower pace it seemed to have, loved the home prices of course....Did NOT like the lack of ethnicity, we are hispanic, also it is very "churchy" they just seemed to be EVERYWHERE, which I am sure is really needed I guess? I appreciate a town with variety of churches but this was overkill, sorry am sure it sounds bad but just my little opinion....I also did not like the "dry" town as I am not a big drinking person but appreciate a trip to the store for a bottle of wine when I feel necessary to get it. I also didnt like the layout of neighborhoods, it seemed to be sloppy and not well organized in the fact that they wantto build a lot but there isnt much need for it, even before recession.....I also did not like the downtown whatsoever, why can they not revamp it? Or did they since I was last there? If they could it would be soooo much better as it has potential. I did like the neighboring towns like Bullard. Last it needs a bigger mall too....

Am sure will be attacked but I would like it others would differ w/ me cuz my husband still wants to move there and am trying to look at pros of it....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2010, 04:03 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,332,779 times
Yes,it is a beautiful town with a slower pace. If you are not going to play the perfect citizen then beware. It is a no tolerance town and for people acting stupid and breaking the law it is 0 tolerance.

Old 09-25-2010, 04:16 PM

12,521 posts, read 23,003,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe tx gal View Post
Ok so a few years ago I went to Tyler in hopes of moving there. My original plan was to try to put my daughter in Brooks Hill School in Bullard, to which they said they are a non-demo school but seemed to be more christian(we are catholic, so no biggie)...My original impression of place was it was removed, and even though 90 miles from Dallas it seemed farther. My husband liked it more than I as he is more country. Even with a decent population, sorry but it seemed country, lol...I really wanted to like it but just couldn't. What I did like was it is pretty and does have what someone would need on day to day(stoores, chains) I also like the slower pace it seemed to have, loved the home prices of course....Did NOT like the lack of ethnicity, we are hispanic, also it is very "churchy" they just seemed to be EVERYWHERE, which I am sure is really needed I guess? I appreciate a town with variety of churches but this was overkill, sorry am sure it sounds bad but just my little opinion....I also did not like the "dry" town as I am not a big drinking person but appreciate a trip to the store for a bottle of wine when I feel necessary to get it. I also didnt like the layout of neighborhoods, it seemed to be sloppy and not well organized in the fact that they wantto build a lot but there isnt much need for it, even before recession.....I also did not like the downtown whatsoever, why can they not revamp it? Or did they since I was last there? If they could it would be soooo much better as it has potential. I did like the neighboring towns like Bullard. Last it needs a bigger mall too....

Am sure will be attacked but I would like it others would differ w/ me cuz my husband still wants to move there and am trying to look at pros of it....
When were you last here in Tyler?

A lot & I mean a lot has changed in the past 5-10 years.

Smith County went wet up in Winona just 10 miles north of Tyler, you can buy & drink Texas made wine across the street from the mall, Rusk just south of Bullard is wet now.

Downtown Tyler is starting to more closely resemble a big city downtown with an arts district, a few bars/restaurants, & a lively square. The renovation of the old Liberty Theater is also underway. It will house the East Texas Symphony Orchestra in a couple of more years & provide an extra venue in downtown for other performances other than the Caldwell Auditorium which is next to the library.

As far as the Hispanic population goes, you won't so much find it out in Bullard or out in any of the other suburbs. It is more inner city, especially on the East side of town. Drive down E. Erwin & its like Little Mexico with all the Hispanic restaurants, grocery stores, & night clubs.

We have a thriving Catholic community here. Many Filipino & Latino's contribute largely to it. One of our priests is from Puerto Rico, another from India, & the other from Ireland. Very diverse for Tyler.

The old Southern Baptists mentality that once was so prevalent in Tyler is dying fast. Don't get me wrong, there is still lots of "old money" in this town, but new blood is moving in from places like the Midwest, California, upper west coast & taking over.

Old 09-25-2010, 06:42 PM

5,098 posts, read 7,551,440 times
metro, when are you or mark gonna take some pics

Old 09-25-2010, 06:56 PM

2,618 posts, read 3,543,509 times
Mark doesn't have a camera, or real interest. But Metro should take some pics of The Cascades in Tyler if he does take any, and some pics of the speciality restaurants around town, that a visitor would not be aware of and for that matter most people in Tyler are not aware either.

Old 09-25-2010, 07:42 PM

5,098 posts, read 7,551,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark-Tyler is Special View Post
Mark doesn't have a camera, or real interest. But Metro should take some pics of The Cascades in Tyler if he does take any, and some pics of the speciality restaurants around town, that a visitor would not be aware of and for that matter most people in Tyler are not aware either.
you don't have any interest lol? it's just so hard to find good pics of tyler

Old 09-25-2010, 09:44 PM

18,509 posts, read 28,044,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Newest retirement development in West Tyler, the Cascades.

wow, nice pics Matt

Old 09-25-2010, 10:03 PM

2,618 posts, read 3,543,509 times
Nice "shot" al, way to go "big guy"

Old 09-26-2010, 05:04 AM

2 posts, read 13,271 times
Absolutely I would live here. I've lived here for almost 6 years. My husband took a job oppurtunity in Nacogdoches so we are moving there if he can pry me out of my home in Tyler This is a wonderful community with great people of all ages. It's a mere 2 hour drive to the DFW airport and all the shopping or whatever and then come back home to sweet serene living. Yes. Live here

Old 09-26-2010, 05:45 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,231,297 times
Would I live in Tyler?? NO and not because I think Tyler is a bad place I love Tyler but because I've been to Tyler sooooooooo many times and i'm a East Texas boy born in Marshall lived in Longview pretty much my whole life(in my mid 20's) so I always love to go back home to visit..but to reside nahhhh i'm more fast paced then laid back east texas..but it's a great place when your growing up as a kid and even now when I go back to visit.. trust me if I couldn't live in Houston/Dallas/Austin/San Antonio(which would be my first picks to live in Texas) I would move back to East Texas specifically Longview/Marshall/Tyler area...which I feel like is one of the best areas of Texas..plus it's right next to Shreveport so I can go gambling..not to mention I can watch some of the best hs football games in Texas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or