Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you like to live here?
Yes, Tyler is beautiful city full of potential! 82 38.68%
No, its a boring retirement town full of old people & no nightlife. 95 44.81%
Maybe, I would have to see more of it... 39 18.40%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 02:32 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Outlaying areas?

Tyler is THE medical hub of East Texas & has the only Level 1 Trauma center between Dallas, Shreveport, & Houston.

I'd hardly call a smaller metropolitan area of 200,000+ outlaying.

Tyler's cost of living may be comparable to some of Austin's suburbs, but not the city itself. Its terribly expensive to live in central Austin. Not the case in Tyler.
Tyler isn't exactly the sticks, but it is out of the way. It's not even on a major interstate, and I'd venture that most people outside of Texas have never even heard of Tyler.

So it's the medical hub of East Texas. Uh, it pretty much has to be, seeing as how it's the largest city in the middle of very sparsely settled land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 03:01 PM

816 posts, read 1,947,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Tyler isn't exactly the sticks, but it is out of the way. It's not even on a major interstate, and I'd venture that most people outside of Texas have never even heard of Tyler.
Do you think people outside of Texas heard of Round Rock, Georgetown, Port Arthur, or maybe Bryan?

It is not on the interstate because the old money people in Tyler back in the 50's didn't want the city to grow so they put it like 10 minutes out of Tyler from the loop.

Quote:
So it's the medical hub of East Texas. Uh, it pretty much has to be, seeing as how it's the largest city in the middle of very sparsely settled land.
From what I've read on here, the medical hub of East Texas accounts of 450,000 people around East Texas.

You really think it is sparsely settled land? Did you think Tyler was in the Northeast?

Compare that to many states in the West and Midwest, Tyler is really not in the very sparsely settled land.

Old 11-13-2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by An0nym0us88 View Post
Do you think people outside of Texas heard of Round Rock, Georgetown, Port Arthur, or maybe Bryan?

It is not on the interstate because the old money people in Tyler back in the 50's didn't want the city to grow so they put it like 10 minutes out of Tyler from the loop.

From what I've read on here, the medical hub of East Texas accounts of 450,000 people around East Texas.

You really think it is sparsely settled land? Did you think Tyler was in the Northeast?

Compare that to many states in the West and Midwest, Tyler is really not in the very sparsely settled land.
I probably exaggerated by saying "sparsely" settled, but East Texas isn't dense by any stretch of the imagination.

Tyler is an important city to East Texas, no doubt, but it is slightly remote.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:30 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:

Partially true.

Tyler's northern city limits is a stones throw away from I-20...literally.

If I had to guess its probably 100 yards away at most.

The new outer loop/tollway being built will reach I-20 eventually.

Tyler is becoming denser because its not annexing anymore land. As a matter of fact we turned down the offer to incorporate Whitehouse not long ago. They were practically begging us to.

Sparsely settled land? Tyler's CSA is over 260,000 people.

Our booming med center is like a mini me version of Houston's. It even feels pretty urban given the size of Tyler & is located less than a mile outside of downtown.

Here is an outdated shot of the med center skyline I took from the roof of a 12 story building in downtown about 3 years ago. Its much more built up now as you can see the cranes rising 200 feet into the air. The tallest tower to the right (Olympic Plaza) is 150' tall & was built back in 1996.

UT Tyler Medical Center on the outskirts of town has grown a lot too in the past couple of years. I need to get out there soon & snap some shots of the recent major expansion which has almost doubled it in size.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 11-14-2011 at 12:12 PM..

Old 11-14-2011, 12:13 PM

469 posts, read 886,388 times
I could NEVER live in a town that small

Old 11-14-2011, 12:47 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talkispoison View Post
I could NEVER live in a town that small
My moms best friend moved here from Los Angeles a few years back & they've had no problems at all getting adjusted to the slower pace of life Tyler offers. In fact, they absolutely love it here, so much so they say they would NEVER go back to life in Los Angeles & they own multiple properties in both places. He is Japanese/Hawaiian & his wife is Italian/American Indian.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
My moms best friend moved here from Los Angeles a few years back & they've had no problems at all getting adjusted to the slower pace of life Tyler offers. In fact, they absolutely love it here, so much so they say they would NEVER go back to life in Los Angeles & they own multiple properties in both places. He is Japanese/Hawaiian & his wife is Italian/American Indian.
I grew up in a small Texas town. NEVER AGAIN

Old 11-14-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Partially true.

Tyler's northern city limits is a stones throw away from I-20...literally.

If I had to guess its probably 100 yards away at most.

The new outer loop/tollway being built will reach I-20 eventually.

Tyler is becoming denser because its not annexing anymore land. As a matter of fact we turned down the offer to incorporate Whitehouse not long ago. They were practically begging us to.

Sparsely settled land? Tyler's CSA is over 260,000 people.
"Sparsely settled" was a reference to the general East Texas area, which has a very low population density.

Tyler being the medical hub of ET isn't an accomplishment; it's a given.

Quote:
Our booming med center is like a mini me version of Houston's. It even feels pretty urban given the size of Tyler & is located less than a mile outside of downtown.

Here is an outdated shot of the med center skyline I took from the roof of a 12 story building in downtown about 3 years ago. Its much more built up now as you can see the cranes rising 200 feet into the air. The tallest tower to the right (Olympic Plaza) is 150' tall & was built back in 1996.

UT Tyler Medical Center on the outskirts of town has grown a lot too in the past couple of years. I need to get out there soon & snap some shots of the recent major expansion which has almost doubled it in size.
A "mini" TMC? More like a chip off of a very large block. And I would hardly call that a "skyline", as the buildings barely seem to rise above the tall trees.

I'm not trying to take anything away from the town, but let's be honest. To the average person from urban America, Tyler is the country. It can most definitely be described as outlying.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Also, keep in mind I moved to Chicago because Dallas wasn't "urban" enough for me.

Old 11-14-2011, 05:59 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,055,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talkispoison View Post
I grew up in a small Texas town. NEVER AGAIN
If you think Tyler is a small town, then no, you didn't grow up in a small town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler