Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you like to live here?
Yes, Tyler is beautiful city full of potential! 82 38.68%
No, its a boring retirement town full of old people & no nightlife. 95 44.81%
Maybe, I would have to see more of it... 39 18.40%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 10:56 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by a75206 View Post
No way, just not my pace. Too small. And it's in East Texas, away from other large cities (million+). And I'm pretty sure it's not exactly a hotbed of liberal thought/views.
So a 90 mile drive to Dallas is too far for you? I used to make that drive every weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Does Jamie Foxx from Tyler, Texas and f so does he still live there????
He is from Terrell, Tx. Two different places.

Earl Cambell is from Tyler though. Try his hot link sausages sometime, they're good.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:33 PM

521 posts, read 1,313,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
So a 90 mile drive to Dallas is too far for you? I used to make that drive every weekend.
Different strokes for different folks, I suppose. And yes, 90 miles just to get to Dallas is a stretch. And every weekend?! If you like Dallas so much that you want to hang out there every weekend, might as well live in the metroplex, no?

I really want to be in a big city, which is close to other big cities. This situation doesn't fit.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a75206 View Post
Different strokes for different folks, I suppose. And yes, 90 miles just to get to Dallas is a stretch. And every weekend?! If you like Dallas so much that you want to hang out there every weekend, might as well live in the metroplex, no?
I did live in both Dallas & Houston for a total of about 10 years, so I've had my share of city life. Due to family situation & the current uncertain economic times we are in, I must deal with the cards I have been dealt. When life gives you lemons, make lemonade as they say.

Tyler isn't so bad these days, I used to hate it when I was in my late teens-early 20's. Now being a mature adult in my early 30's I don't find it necessary to go clubbing 4 nights a week & stay out till the sun comes up anymore. The last time I went clubbing was in Chicago this past April & I had an absolute blast. Its Ok every once in awhile, but gets old pretty darn quick.

I've learned to enjoy the much simpler things in life.

Do I see myself moving back to the "big city"? Maybe. As for right now, I'm perfectly content here in good ole' East Texas.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:09 AM

521 posts, read 1,313,154 times
Quote:
I did live in both Dallas & Houston for a total of about 10 years, so I've had my share of city life. Due to family situation & the current uncertain economic times we are in, I must deal with the cards I have been dealt. When life gives you lemons, make lemonade as they say.

Tyler isn't so bad these days, I used to hate it when I was in my late teens-early 20's. Now being a mature adult in my early 30's I don't find it necessary to go clubbing 4 nights a week & stay out till the sun comes up anymore. The last time I went clubbing was in Chicago this past April & I had an absolute blast. Its Ok every once in awhile, but gets old pretty darn quick.

I've learned to enjoy the much simpler things in life.

Do I see myself moving back to the "big city"? Maybe. As for right now, I'm perfectly content here in good ole' East Texas.

That's good. You sould like a happy man, and it's not good to live in place if you're not happy.

I'm in my early 30s and I've never really been a club person. I can party and hang, but that's now what attracts me to a bigger city. I like the vibrancy, I like the culture, I crave walking from neighborhood to work and on my way back, stopping by at a farmer's market to pick up some things so I can whip up some supper at home and enjoy it with a few friends over good beer or something like that. I definitely want seasonality in local weather around the year. I want world-class high culture like art museums and symphonies. And if I'm ever bored with my own city, I want another destination city that's a day trip distance away. Or the beach isn't too far away. Nor the mountains, or a national park or a historical park/site.

No wonder I appreciate the mid-Atlantic region. It's not for everyone, I realize that. But I think it will work for me. At least I hope it does! Otherwise I'm heading back to Texas! ...perhaps.

Old 05-19-2010, 01:01 AM

2,368 posts, read 5,103,296 times
Quote:
Try 380 miles to Detroit EVERY weekend.

Old 05-19-2010, 04:44 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,205,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
I think Tyler is probably about the same as Jackson MS. I did a search on the temps there for July of 18 last year and Tyler was 4 degrees cooler. Just a random sample, which isn't all that accurate, but I "think" the two are pretty close temp-wise.
I made the slightly cooler comment because I looked up the averages for both cities; Tyler has slightly warmer average temperatures all throughout the year.

Tyler's averages: Average Weather for Tyler, TX - Temperature and Precipitation
Jackson's averages: Average Weather for Jackson, MS - Temperature and Precipitation

And as for the July 18th comment, are you sure you didn't mix them up? I looked up the data for that date and it was Jackson that was 4 degrees cooler. (Also of note, Tyler's average high for that date is 3 degrees higher than Jackson's average.)

Tyler: History : Weather Underground
Jackson: History : Weather Underground

As for the temperatures during the year of 2009, Tyler beats out Jackson for the observed highs:

Tyler: History : Weather Underground
Jackson: History : Weather Underground

So, overall, Tyler is slightly warmer than Jackson. Terms such as "slightly" are subjective, however, so you may not see it as much of a difference. Yes, this may come across as obsessive, but I really hate this subtropical climate I'm currently stuck in. I wouldn't dream of living anywhere hotter, not even by a little bit.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:37 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,082,651 times
Quote:
J33

You asked for it, so I let you have it. Obviously you were terribly offended & scarred for life by my take on what Tyler represents as a city & how it portrays itself in the rest of Texas & the whole United States. Tyler is a family friendly town to retire & raise your kids. It also happens to be conservative. Nothing wrong with that!
There are family friendly conservative places and and there are family friendly liberal places, politics has nothing to do with how 'family friendly' a place is. That a place has to be conservative (or liberal) in order to be family friendly is what I was taking offense to, that is all. If you have read my first post, I was actually being complimentary toward Tyler for what it was, too bad you couldn't read beyond your 'liberal=bad' lens to see that.

Where you got the bizarre notion anything has scarred me for life is beyond me. Seriously bud, I'm at a loss for words on that one.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:41 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,082,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
If you believe one person represents Texas than we don't need that type of ignorance here.
I'm well aware that one person doesn't represent Texas, I have several friends from there, I descended into a bit of hyperbole last night, and for that I apologize.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:56 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
There are family friendly conservative places and and there are family friendly liberal places, politics has nothing to do with how 'family friendly' a place is. That a place has to be conservative (or liberal) in order to be family friendly is what I was taking offense to, that is all. If you have read my first post, I was actually being complimentary toward Tyler for what it was, too bad you couldn't read beyond your 'liberal=bad' lens to see that.

Where you got the bizarre notion anything has scarred me for life is beyond me. Seriously bud, I'm at a loss for words on that one.
I didn't respond originally to the "family friendly=conservative" post because I wanted to give the OP the benefit of the doubt, but he showed his true colors. I had a feeling this thread was going to take this turn. Oh well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler