Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 02:20 PM

1 posts, read 2,085 times

Advertisements

I moved to PR a little over 4 years ago and I'd like to respond to your comments. PR has an incredibly high homicide rate (almost 900 so far this year alone). Most of the targets are involved in the drug trade. As far as thefts go, personal robberies are not rampant. Most robberies are commercial such as pizzerias, auto parts stores, grocery stores, etc. We seem to have an unusually high domestic violence rate. There seems to be a "law of silence" when it comes to investigations. Everyone knows, but no one speaks. Police here also, for the most part, are very lackadaisical when it comes to really solving crimes. It seems like they all gave up. I plan to move away in the coming years if it's possible. As far as you not experiencing or witnessing any crime, it's probably because you stayed within your limits. Don't get me wrong, all of PR is not like this, but you have to know where you're going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 02:41 PM

238 posts, read 1,071,405 times
I should note I have been beyond the limit for urban studies, going into places like Barrio Obrero and deep into La Perla. Just sayin

Old 09-11-2010, 11:15 PM

81 posts, read 301,422 times
I moved to Aguadilla 2 months ago from Green Bay, WI. My wife and i where married here and have been coming here for over 10 years. In that time i have not experienced any crimes with the exception of a domestic problem that was taken care of by 3 local thugs. I guess they had a heart that day
I realize it exists but if you just go about your normal everyday life you will be fine. We ride our scooters threw all kinds of neighborhoods and never have any problems.

Old 09-24-2010, 12:01 PM

9 posts, read 34,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
I lived in Va Beach, then moved to Luquillo PR, when I left there I moved to Las Vegas.
You're just the guy I need to talk to! I live in LV and considering logistics of moving to San Juan area if a job pops up first. I live in NE section of LV near Pecos and Lake Mead so I understand about local violence/crimes. So...Can you shed some light for me on the issues below. Also since you're in LV, I'd be happy to buy you coffee to chat about the major issues only if you would be comfortable with that...or call me at (702) 806-9394. I might travel with just my dog and essentials. Here are my initial questions:

1) How does Luquillo compare to your section of Las Vegas in regards to:
cost of living?
and crime?
2) Did you transport into Luquillo:
furniture, vehicle?
pet?
What moving company did you use? Cost?
Thanks!
Linda

Old 09-26-2010, 10:23 PM

177 posts, read 256,619 times
Damn... I don't live in PR but I know about Detroit and to compare PR to it is a bit overboard.

I may be wrong. But damn... Detroit?

Old 09-27-2010, 09:57 AM

58 posts, read 138,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borikua View Post
Damn... I don't live in PR but I know about Detroit and to compare PR to it is a bit overboard.

I may be wrong. But damn... Detroit?
Statistically, both place are very comparable. With Detroit being slightly safer and having lower unemployment than PR when adjusted for population. I started this trend to see people opinions on PR safety. Not to highlight any of the two places in bad light/taste. Detroit is a beautiful city with rich architecture. It is just an underdog -- like a talented person not living up to their full potential. Furthermore, PR is beautiful in culture and natural scenery.

Old 09-28-2010, 12:02 AM

6,405 posts, read 8,983,825 times
My friend lived in PR for a few years when he was younger and has some crazy stories. One involves a decapitation.

Old 09-28-2010, 10:04 PM

238 posts, read 1,071,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaMove123 View Post
Statistically, both place are very comparable. With Detroit being slightly safer and having lower unemployment than PR when adjusted for population. I started this trend to see people opinions on PR safety. Not to highlight any of the two places in bad light/taste. Detroit is a beautiful city with rich architecture. It is just an underdog -- like a talented person not living up to their full potential. Furthermore, PR is beautiful in culture and natural scenery.
PR is a whole state (Territory!). Just in case. Everyone forgot about that.

I think Detroit is 370 km^2 and PR is correct me if I'm wrong 3500 km^2.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:11 AM

58 posts, read 138,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davsot View Post
PR is a whole state (Territory!). Just in case. Everyone forgot about that.

I think Detroit is 370 km^2 and PR is correct me if I'm wrong 3500 km^2.
Nobody said that it was not a whole state (Territory!). Furthermore, size was never a factor. I was dicussing population (2000)! Now 2010 population may be off, because of flight. Also, Detroit metro is bigger than 370 km^2.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:54 PM

9 posts, read 34,392 times
Question Portsmouth, VA?

Hi John,
(not sure I sent my message to the right thread window. If you got this already, disregard: Thanks for your friendly advice on Puerto Rico. Your idea is right on target for me (should I get lucky and get a job of course). Anyway, I have another Q4U. Since you lived in Virginia Beach, do you know about crime in Portsmouth, VA? I'm just wondering why it's cheaper to live there than LV and of course V. Beach but not much more crime per my research. Here are my usual sources:
I'm looking at Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
and see little difference in crime btw the 2 VA cities; and
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
shows the drop in cost of living. Thanks for your helpful input. BTW, I have a good friend in Fayetteville, NC who's single & fun, lol
Linda in Las Vegas
kilukl@yahoo.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
I lived in Va Beach, then moved to Luquillo PR, when I left there I moved to Las Vegas.

Last edited by Yac; 10-18-2010 at 06:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories