U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 12:44 PM

56 posts, read 111,802 times

Advertisements

Waring: A lot of generalization, but it is based on long term personal experience.

Lets see if we can break down PR culture.

My intention was not to sound negative, but it just went that way, blame it on PR not me. Contribute to this list but I am not for getting into debates unless Im running for public office and need votes.

1) PR is NOT into hunting at all.
2) PR is extremely into music and dance and sports more than anything else, like African Americans
3) Rice and beans and fried chicken and fried plantains(like bananas) is the most common meal.
4) PR driving is bad, no turn signal, no paying attention, crash all the time bad.
5) PR people talk a lot, like they just do not be quiet unless they are surrounded by compelte strangers, other than that, probably among the most talkative people on earth!
6) PR ppl are short, 5'5 is average height for men
7) PR ppl steal a lot, no everyone, but too much. Lack of morals or respect for other peoples personal property.
8) PR ppl beg for money a lot, there are a lot of bums on lights and on sidewalks begging.
9) PR ppl dress casual, all the time. Short pants, jeans, are the norm, seeing someone in a suit is a little rare.
10) PR ppl do a lot of drugs.
11) PR ppl divorce a lot/dont get married. Very very high out of wedlock children too.
12) PR ppl are very into local meaningless politics.
13) PR men pluck their eyebrows and have earings, most of them.
14) PR has a LOT of fruits that grow off trees that you can eat, like avocados, mangos, coconuts, bananas, and hundreds more, everywhere, even in the heart of the metro area
15) PR has a lot of greenery, its about 80% green, full lush green.
16) PR is hot all year, every year, eternal summer, 87 to 93 always
17) PR has a lot of drug dealer related murders, about 2 a day in an island of only 4 million! thats a lot. Life has no meaning for many ppl here. None.
18) PR is not religious.
19) PR is completely developed with the lates technology.
20) PR has no civil wars or real political turmoil.
21) PR ppl are anti-racist and anti-prejudice, which is amazing. Ppl are not/rarely judged right away for their background.
22) PR ppl shop a lot
23) PR women dress skimpy, cleavage, short skirts, etc...
24) PR ppl are not commonly overweight, like really really overweight, most ppl by far are of a healthy weight.
25) PR does not play soccer(footbol) or american football AT ALL!

Anyone want to add to the list?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 01:44 PM

353 posts, read 911,168 times
A couple of comments on the current list:
2) I wouldn't say "extremely". More like quite common. Salsa, reggaeton, and pop (not in that order) is the usual norm. American music is hardly known to most.
3) I just have to say this is so true. If I didn't eat rice and beans, I didn't eat at all.
10) I would specify this is usual for ppl in the projects. It's not so usual with ppl living outside the projects.
13) I wouldn't say most men. I would say it's common. For example, of the guys I know, only 2 wear earrings and 3 pluck their eyebrows. This is from a total of something like 30 guys I know.
15) I would specify this is true outside Metro Area, specially San Juan.
16) Heck yeah! One of my biggest gripes.
18) I wouldn't say PR is not religious. Most people are, they just don't worship as often or at all.
25) Add hockey to that list. Soccer is hardly played, so is football.

Now, some new ones off the top of my head:
26) You will find many busted up cars. This is an effect of 4.
27) Once you get money to repair for any car damage from a collision, if the car can still run without the repairs, ppl usually use the money for other things. Unless you really want to fix the car.
28) You can pay about $20 and pass the car inspection even if your car is spewing the foulest gases.

Old 08-27-2010, 02:56 PM

2,630 posts, read 3,157,858 times
Since 1998, I've visited Puerto Rico once or twice per year. Since then, one of the things that I've noticed is how Puerto Rican society is becoming more multi-cultural, akin to what is seen in many cities within mainland USA.

I returned from PR just two days ago after my second 7 day trip this year. For the first time, I saw several persons of Asian descent in different areas. It was a bit amusing to hear a Boricua accent from the mouth of a person of complete Asian descent. To this I add the existence of a Mosque in my hometown of Vega Alta which has been there many years.

So, to add to the OP's theme, I have to say that PR is slowly becoming an even greater melting pot than what it already was given our Taino-African-Spaniard tri-racial ancestry. That is a portion of Puerto Rico's contemporary culture.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:05 PM

123 posts, read 176,095 times
[quote=username3;15649107]Waring: A lot of generalization, but it is based on long term personal experience.

My intention was not to sound negative, but it just went that way, blame it on PR not me. Contribute to this list but I am not for getting into debates unless Im running for public office and need votes.

2) PR is extremely into music and dance and sports more than anything else, like African Americans
3) Rice and beans and fried chicken and fried plantains(like bananas) is the most common meal.
4) PR driving is bad, no turn signal, no paying attention, crash all the time bad.
5) PR people talk a lot, like they just do not be quiet unless they are surrounded by compelte strangers, other than that, probably among the most talkative people on earth!
6) PR ppl are short, 5'5 is average height for men
7) PR ppl steal a lot, no everyone, but too much. Lack of morals or respect for other peoples personal property.
8) PR ppl beg for money a lot, there are a lot of bums on lights and on sidewalks begging.
9) PR ppl dress casual, all the time. Short pants, jeans, are the norm, seeing someone in a suit is a little rare.
11) PR ppl divorce a lot/dont get married. Very very high out of wedlock children too.
14) PR has a LOT of fruits that grow off trees that you can eat, like avocados, mangos, coconuts, bananas, and hundreds more, everywhere, even in the heart of the metro area
17) PR has a lot of drug dealer related murders, about 2 a day in an island of only 4 million! thats a lot. Life has no meaning for many ppl here. None.
18) PR is not religious.
21) PR ppl are anti-racist and anti-prejudice, which is amazing. Ppl are not/rarely judged right away for their background.
22) PR ppl shop a lot
24) PR ppl are not commonly overweight, like really really overweight, most ppl by far are of a healthy weight.

Question #1: Hunting is a sport for people who have homicidal tendencies and use hunting as a way to keep these tendencies in-check, otherwise they will become real human hunters.

#5: They are extremely gregarious, friendly people, who love to be happy.
#6: You will find many of different sizes.
#7: If SOME do, they have learned that from HOLLYWOOD, FLORIDA, AND
NEW YORK GANGSTERS.
#8 Poverty will create beggars. The ISLAND has a high unemployment
rate.
#10 Drugs are rampant EVERYWHERE in the USA, they have copied from
them. Since 1940, millions have traveled to the US, specifically
New York and Florida, and most Islands surrounding PR, like Santo
Domingo, Jamaica, Haiti, Venezuela, and St. Thomas are drug infes-
ted. PR has also been INVADED by a multitude of people from
SANTO DOMINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#23 New York women have a great influence on PR women. Many PR
women have won the MISS UNIVERSE CONTEST!!!!!!!
#25 For myriad of years, baseball is the most common.
PR men wear ponytails, take good care of themselves, and smell
great!!!!!!!! And many of the people are religious, they just not wear
religion on their sleeves.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:57 PM

198 posts, read 585,963 times
Not true!!I don't steal, Im not short, Im not most of those things.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:45 PM

291 posts, read 636,084 times
A win - lose society.

Old 09-07-2010, 01:27 PM

809 posts, read 1,985,801 times
If your observation #6 is true about men being 5'5'' on average, that's because those Pr dudes are here, in the states. Let me tell you I have come across some TALL Pricans. I don't mean 5'10; I mean 6 foot and beyond.

Old 09-07-2010, 03:28 PM

353 posts, read 911,168 times
Actually, 5'5" isn't that far from the truth. In my every day live, most guys are something around my own height, which is 5'8". Women tend to be smaller, somewhere around 5'3" I would say is the average.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:15 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,653,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by username3 View Post
Waring: A lot of generalization, but it is based on long term personal experience.

You won't find any game species on the island. No deer, wild rabbits, squirrels, bears, etc...
7 and 8. Are you serious? Yes, there are a lot of bums on lights, but you make it sound like more than 50% of the population is begging for money or stealing.
Well, it is a tropical island. If you go to the banking section of Hato Rey, or any courthouse, you'll see a lot more people in suits. Also, when I lived there, hospitals had dress codes, no flip-flops or short pants, which I see all the time here in US hospitals.

10 & 11: In what public housing development did you stay?
True. I think that 100 years from now, people will still be debating the status.
See 10 & 11
14-17: True
18) PR is not religious.
Hmmm. I don't know of any churches closing in PR as they are in the mainland. Most businesses close for Good Friday, Christmas, and Three Kings Day. Processions through the streets of town are common during Holy Week.
19-21: True
22) PR ppl shop a lot
Yes we do. I remember the day after Hurricane Georges, Plaza Las Américas was packed.
If God gave them the body....
We prefer baseball and basketball
Red is mine.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:16 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,653,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny come lately View Post
Question #1: Hunting is a sport for people who have homicidal tendencies and use hunting as a way to keep these tendencies in-check, otherwise they will become real human hunters.
Did you get this from PETA, or do you truly believe that? Hunting is a valuable wildlife management technique. One that provides food for many people and generates revenue for the government. Did you know that most wildlife conservation funding comes from an 11% tax on all firearms, ammo, and hunting equipment, known as the Pittman-Robertson Federal Aid in Wildlife Restoration Act, which was passed at the request of hunters. Or that Duck Stamps have provided more than $750 million for wildlife and waterfowl habitats.

Most murderers have never hunted in their lives. Maybe that explains the high incidence of murders in PR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories