Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 07:49 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,257,582 times

Advertisements

Puerto Rico clearly looks nothing like Florida.

Puerto Rico, pictures
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 07:52 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,445,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikeboy25 View Post
Most U.S. residents probably do not realize that Puerto Rico is a U.S. commonwealth. So to all my city-daters out there, WHEN YOU GO TO PUERTO RICO, DOES IT FEEL LIKE YOU ARE IN ANOTHER COUNTRY OR DOES IT FEEL LIKE BEING IN THE U.S?

puerto rico feels like greece to me as they dont want to pay their bills either

Old 09-15-2015, 10:39 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
Puerto Rico clearly looks nothing like Florida.

Puerto Rico, pictures
https://therealestatestation.files.w...8000000-o1.jpg

Silly boy, don't comment on things you don't know . By the way, focus. You mentioned architecture, yet show me mostly nature. Focus! Of course Puerto Rico's scenery isn't gonna look like the Adirondacks, dur

Old 09-16-2015, 02:40 AM

7,668 posts, read 5,257,582 times
That doesn't look like Florida either!!

Old 09-16-2015, 05:31 AM

11,046 posts, read 5,266,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
No. Outside of the resorts Puerto Rico feels like a foreign country. Like another poster said, you would have no idea you are in a U.S. territory if someone blindfolded you and dropped you off there.
You could say the same thing for many parts in the City of Denver and Reno,Nevada and California.....LOL

Old 09-16-2015, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
puerto rico feels like greece to me as they dont want to pay their bills either

and our we paying our bills? the last time I look our debt is close to 20 Trillion dollars and growing and that's just on the federal level.

the debt in all 50 states combine is over 6 Trillion.

Old 09-16-2015, 12:11 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
That doesn't look like Florida either!!
Well it IS Florida, a house in Jacksonville to be exact. Goes to show you you have no idea what you're talking about. Spend more time in normal areas and less time on a golf resort

Old 09-21-2015, 05:16 PM

1,616 posts, read 1,806,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
You could say the same thing for many parts in the City of Denver and Reno,Nevada and California.....LOL
are u being…. you know… just wondering cuz u know Boricuas are American

Old 09-23-2015, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papichulo2 View Post
are u being…. you know… just wondering cuz u know Boricuas are American

thanks for telling me, I didn't know that....

Old 10-20-2015, 06:48 AM

39 posts, read 42,253 times
I could take you into parts of Dade county Florida where the architecture is virtually the same...can we say Hialeah anyone? The US southern border isn't the ONLY place in the US where illegal aliens filter across the border. Its done every week here in Puerto Rico by Dominicanos, Columbians, Cubans and other Latin American peoples so BE CAREFUL in how you say things. Are we Americanized to a degree on the island? Well DUH, this is part of the US and has been for over 100 years. Boricuas do NOT need a green card and don't scatter when someone screams Immigration because we are US citizens. Yeah the island is Americanized in the sense of every fast food chain being here as well as Sears, Kmart, Walmart, and enough Walgreen's to make me wish I was in a foreign country. Someone brought up the education system on the island and folks that rests solely on the Government in San Juan and NOT DC. The first thing that gets cut or shut down here is the schools and teachers so its not the Yanqui who wants Puerto Ricans to be dumb...it is our own government right here in Puerto Rico so to those of you I say this....educate yourselves before talking about something you don't understand. Is Puerto Rico different than the mainland? Folks this is the Caribbean and even the USVI where English is the native tongue is different. Go to Guam or the Marianas and you will find even they have a native tongue as well as English. Many of us are not clueless and speak English as easy as we do Spanish! As far as this continuous comparison to Greece stop now. That is a political assumption so they local government can do away with things like workers comp and minimum wage which if happened in one of the 50 would cause riots and demonstrations. Puerto Rico is subject to federal law just like the 50 and the other misconception is we don't pay taxes. I missed that memo cause I filled out a 1040 the beginning of this year just like every other American. However the Feds allow San Juan to keep the lions share of taxes but some still goes to the US treasury. We also pay an 11.5% sales tax, a 15% gast tax on every liter (not gallon) and now there is a 4% Business to Business tax in effect and to ice the cake of Tax Hell we pay taxes on everything that comes by boat which is EVERYTHING thanks to the Jones Act. Still we love our island and that love isn't just a Boricua thing. Many people from the mainland have made their homes and livelihoods here love this place
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories