U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 12:22 PM

1,583 posts, read 1,534,358 times
Default West Coast Boricuas Fairing Better. . .

Recently, a NY Times article by Sam Dolnick stated that within NYC, Puerto Ricans are far worse off than any other Latino group. The article declared that 33% of Puerto Ricans in NYC lived below the poverty line.

With that article as the focal point of discussion, at another Boricua forum, several posters from the New England states, Florida, Puerto Rico, and some western states tried to come up with a logical reason as to why this is happening to our couterparts in NYC. Given that many of us were former New Yorkers, we could identify with the challenges of inner city living. We also discussed the opportunites we had discovered after leaving NYC. The overall consensus was that Boricuas in western states are doing far better than those on the east coast or on the island.

While it wouldn't be fair to say that success is impossible back east or that it's guaranteed in the west, it would be fair to say that most Boricuas in the west are better off. It seems like many of us in the west have had no choice but to make it on our own, given that there are no immediate Boricua communities or extended family to turn to. And maybe because we've had no one to turn to is the primary reason why many of us have made it on nothing more than our individual abilities.

Personally, every Boricua I've met in California either has a profession, a vocation, or some marketable trade. That's not to say that they/we are all rich, but no one seems to be just "getting by" even in these tough economic times.

One motivating example is that of Raul Labrador, a lawyer by profession and. . .Idaho's newly elected congressman:

About Raul | Raul Labrador for Idaho

Maybe more Boricuas should come west. . .to seek a better life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 12:52 AM

172 posts, read 313,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
Recently, a NY Times article by Sam Dolnick stated that within NYC, Puerto Ricans are far worse off than any other Latino group. The article declared that 33% of Puerto Ricans in NYC lived below the poverty line.

With that article as the focal point of discussion, at another Boricua forum, several posters from the New England states, Florida, Puerto Rico, and some western states tried to come up with a logical reason as to why this is happening to our couterparts in NYC. Given that many of us were former New Yorkers, we could identify with the challenges of inner city living. We also discussed the opportunites we had discovered after leaving NYC. The overall consensus was that Boricuas in western states are doing far better than those on the east coast or on the island.

While it wouldn't be fair to say that success is impossible back east or that it's guaranteed in the west, it would be fair to say that most Boricuas in the west are better off. It seems like many of us in the west have had no choice but to make it on our own, given that there are no immediate Boricua communities or extended family to turn to. And maybe because we've had no one to turn to is the primary reason why many of us have made it on nothing more than our individual abilities.

Personally, every Boricua I've met in California either has a profession, a vocation, or some marketable trade. That's not to say that they/we are all rich, but no one seems to be just "getting by" even in these tough economic times.

One motivating example is that of Raul Labrador, a lawyer by profession and. . .Idaho's newly elected congressman:

About Raul | Raul Labrador for Idaho

Maybe more Boricuas should come west. . .to seek a better life.
A fellow Boricua living in of all places Idaho. I was under the impression that not too many of our fellow Boricuas live west of the Mississippi. It's nice to see our Boricuas moving up in the world.

Old 11-07-2010, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKE-Ed View Post
A fellow Boricua living in of all places Idaho. I was under the impression that not too many of our fellow Boricuas live west of the Mississippi. It's nice to see our Boricuas moving up in the world.
You're absolutely right. There aren't too many of us west of the Mississippi. But, it seems like those who decided to jump west of it are doing a little better than those who stayed east of it.

Go west, Boricua!

Old 11-07-2010, 05:35 PM

88 posts, read 203,247 times
Yes it is true Puerto Ricans have the highest poverty rate of any nationality from Latin America in the USA but they are still the most diverse group economically. You can find PR's in every economic strata. Unfortunately there is a large highly concetrated population in deep poverty in some northeastern cities (NYC, Philly, Camden, Hartford, ect) which skew the stats but even in these cities PRs can be found in every neighborhood with varying incomes. The west coast lacks these poverty concentrations and Florida has also been good to PR's. Even the suburbs of the northeast see more and more affluent, assimilated Puerto Ricans.

Old 11-07-2010, 06:47 PM

807 posts, read 1,172,164 times
I lived in Seattle for a year and they DO have a puertorrican food restaurant. Texas is pretty crowded with PRs as well as other latinamerican nationalities.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:50 AM

232 posts, read 269,383 times
San Rafael, just north of San Francisco has a good PR restaurant called Sol. Check out their website, it's pretty good.

Sol Food Restaurant

Old 11-10-2010, 10:33 PM

1,264 posts, read 1,367,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykeroutoftown View Post
Unfortunately there is a large highly concetrated population in deep poverty in some northeastern cities (NYC, Philly, Camden, Hartford, ect)
And what do these cities have in common? Liberal Democrats that will do everything that they can so that minorities stay on welfare and dependent on the government. Sure, they give you free housing and plenty of welfare, but if you try to better yourself, or buy your own home, they punish you mercilessly with exorbitant taxes. It is almost impossible for a middle class family to live in the above cities and lead a decent life.

It is no wonder that Puerto Ricans are doing a lot better in the less liberal parts of the country, where there are less government benefits, but taxes are a lot lower.

Old 11-10-2010, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker7 View Post
And what do these cities have in common? Liberal Democrats that will do everything that they can so that minorities stay on welfare and dependent on the government. Sure, they give you free housing and plenty of welfare, but if you try to better yourself, or buy your own home, they punish you mercilessly with exorbitant taxes. It is almost impossible for a middle class family to live in the above cities and lead a decent life.

It is no wonder that Puerto Ricans are doing a lot better in the less liberal parts of the country, where there are less government benefits, but taxes are a lot lower.
To some extent, I agree with you. Sure, what better than for us to be self reliant and less dependent on gov't welfare? I cannot stand the thought of those who mooch their way thru life off my hard earned tax dollars. Shame on every person who does such thing.

On the other hand, some of us who live in liberal states have done well for ourselves despite (or in lieu of) liberal laws. Not to say that I agree with every liberal law instituted in California. But, some do have merit.

To get back to the original point of this thread, I will once again state that it seems like Boricuas in the west are doing far better than those in the east.

Another example of Boricua success out her would be that of Marie Astrid Gonzalez. I was fortunate enough to sit next to her on my way back from Puerto Rico back in January of this year. She is an artist/book writer and more recently she is a Los Angeles Times columnist. Google her name and you will definitely find her.

Boricua. . .go west!

Old 11-11-2010, 11:14 AM

8,752 posts, read 9,044,079 times
We know why Puerto Ricans are doing better, in general, outside of NYC. Those that could leave, i.e. the more educated, those with marketable skills, professionals, etc. left when all the rest of the middle class people left. What was left behind in the inner city was the poorest, least educated, least adaptable, least capable population, so there should be no surprises here.

Those that could leave did, and were much more likely to be successful than those who could not leave or improve their lot in life. What you are seeing in place like the Bronx is not representative of Puerto Ricans anymore than the whites in appalachia are representative of whites in America. It is but one segment, the least successful/capable segment, and nothing more.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:47 AM

One other "plus" I've noticed about being Boricua in the west is the positive image that the mayority of people out here have about us. Excluding a handful of people, most everyone has responded positvitely upon finding out that I'm Boricua. Most people by default mention salsa music, and the beauty of the island which many have seen on TV.

Not completely sure this is the case for Boricuas back east given the notoriety we've acquired over the decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories