U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 03:56 PM

4 posts, read 23,074 times

Advertisements

Hey.

Quick backstory:

I'm a 20 year old half Mexican, half Puerto Rican male.

I've been through some significant turmoils in the last few years and I'm ready for a complete new start...

My reasonings for moving to PR mainly include the fact that I want to get in touch with that side of my culture and learn the language, while hopefully figuring out who I am in the process...I have a PR friend who said there's nothing like the life he lived there for a year...it was tough but the things he learned were invaluable. *note* I also only plan on being there for a year as of now..

I'm currently in California, but I'm ready to go as soon as I find out enough about PR..Mostly, what living is like there, vs the states, and just anything you all can give me.

Appreciate it.

G-d bless
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 12:15 AM

80 posts, read 159,264 times
oskmwg i have lived all over the US and the island is very different. While i enjoy living here there are alot of people that come from the states and cannot adapt to living on a rock. It seems to me that everyone here is in a hurry while driving but when you go to a place of business (grocery store, fast food joint) they take their time. This drives me nuts but you learn to live with it. I would recommend you coming for a visit and see for yourself. I would also recommend you travel around the island and see other places than San Juan. When you get out of the tourist trap of San Juan you will see how the island really is, a beautiful, peaceful place to live.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:56 AM

@ExBmWeX Thank you for the reply! The more I read the more I see what you've said ... It would definitey be something to adjust to. I will also make sure I visit first. thanks again.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:59 AM

1,992 posts, read 1,929,349 times
It is hard to answer this question because we don't know what you are used to. I haven't lived in California so I really can't compare it, but imagine you will find it very homogeneous compared to a place like LA. I think it is very different than living in the states. The work ethic here is not the same, for one thing. Be prepared for lots of no shows. The water, electricity and cable goes out with some frequency but you get used to it. I think the greatest shock for me was how expensive groceries are here. It sounds like you have some good reasons for coming here and a year goes by pretty fast, so why not try it for yourself? As long as you are young and healthy you should do fine.

Old 01-21-2011, 05:53 AM

26 posts, read 70,304 times
Living in Puerto Rico is different than the states and particularly California. In Puerto Rico things go a lot slower, so you have to have a lot of patience. As an example, it takes about a week to get your electricity, phone etc. where it should take about 2 days. This is living on the island, everything is about living, not about work. Puerto Rico has its own holidays and the federal government holidays, so Puerto Rico has double the holidays than the mainland. Coming from California you will find a lot of things are cheaper in Puerto Rico, compared to California, since everything in California is so expensive.

The job market is very tight(just like everywhere else) and salaries are much lower than in California. There is a lot of property crime(car and home theft). More serious crimes like homicides, are typically related to drug crimes. If you are not looking for that...there is nothing to worry about. Most of these are in the capital, San Juan, If you plan to be outside of San Juan, you will not find much of this, it is quieter and more peaceful, but also less things to do, and less job opportunities.

People in Puerto Rico are family oriented, so a lot of time is given to the family. The weather is great, unless there is a hurricane on the way! Also, like it was mentioned, the utilities will go out with much frequency than in California. If you want to live, get to know the culture, and the language, it will be a great experience. But I don't recommend it for those who want to get ahead economically, is an island and the opportunities are limited. For more on Puerto Rico: Puerto Rico Is The Place

Old 01-21-2011, 07:29 AM

@Sandhillian thank you for the info, I am definitely not going there in hopes of a better job...just a new life. I guess living in CA has made me used to dealing with rude people and their impatience so life on PR sounds like cake as far as dealing with people. Thanks again!

@pristheplace thanks, I think you really just confirmed the mental picture I had of the island, so for that I'm relieved. The only thing now is to figure out WHERE in PR..I think I'll skip out on San Juan, besides, I think I want a quieter place.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:18 AM
mym

251 posts, read 279,108 times
where'd your friend stay?

Old 01-21-2011, 08:33 AM

@mym Coamo

Old 01-22-2011, 12:53 AM

80 posts, read 159,264 times
I prefer the western side of the island but then again i dont go to clubs. Everything is about family on this side and there for we dont have alot of places fast food chains or pub type eateries. If you do visit just travel around the island and see how different things are from one area to the next.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:52 AM
mym

251 posts, read 279,108 times
i'd prefer to live closer to the beach but life in the hills is real nice too. the views are beautiful. its cooler. either way you're gonna need a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories