Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 02:24 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,177,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chako View Post
Forwarded to city-data website:
I'm a young woman who was traveling (2008-2010) to the now ultra-chic Vieques, the NY Times and credited, luxury magazines have all anointed Vieques as the next IT place to vacation. I came here several times alone,
... <SNIP>
Another sourceless quote from Chako.
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
So, Chako, from whence did these alleged reports come? If you're going to quote, you must at least cite the source so the contents can be verified.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:17 PM

4,602 posts, read 6,364,058 times
"For some time now, I have been suspecting that certain people are trying to give the island of Puerto Rico a bad name".....

Wow, where did that idea come from ?

Was it reporting the horrendous murder rate on the island ? Is it the fact that normal people have to hide behind multiple locked gates in order to feel safe in their own home ? Or maybe the fact that only 40% of working age, able bodied people are gainfully employed...(and what are the other 60% doing?) Is it the hundreds of crumbling old buildings covered with graffiti that the Government and the citizens just ignore ? Is it the fact that if PR was a country they'd have the honor of being he 6th worst debtor nation in the world, with a debt load that is greater than the gross product produced annually on the island ? Is it the fact that PR spends roughly double ($4.3M) to service it's debt than it spends on capital improvements for schools, roads and water plants ... a whopping $54 per person is spent on improving schools, roads and water treatment plants annually...ever wonder where the rest of the taxes collected from that 40% of the working population is going ?

And you believe people are actually "trying" to give PR a bad name....this leads one to surmise that you believe a bad name is undeserved ? Puerto Rico has a lot going for it, it’s a US destination, no passport required makes it easy to travel to, the weather is tropical, the natural beauty of the island is wonderful, but it is overshadowed by the trash left everywhere….
The population of PR needs to wake up and take control of their future...the future is not drugs, either legal or illegal, it's not agriculture, it's not manufacturing, …..it's Tourism. Clean up the island, make it shine, make it a destination that tourists will want to visit....more than once. And…tourists speak English, a language that is taught in Puerto Rican schools. English….use it or lose it.
An interesting history of the English langrage in Puerto Rico: English in Puerto Rico (http://home.earthlink.net/~apousada/id1.html - broken link).

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 08-18-2011, 04:45 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker7 View Post
Another sourceless quote from Chako.

I haven't been back to Vieques in many years but know several who are there on a regular basis and have never heard a word of anything remotely similar to this sort of drama and even asking has resulted in a confused look.

Where this latest "evidence" from the young woman who allegedly traveled alone is concerned why, since she doesn't now go to Vieques, does she say, "Proudly, I remain anonymous" after such a ghastly tale of murder and corruption? She has no personal stake in the island but has allegedly taken the time to compose her harrowing tale ... lots of dead fishies in the waters and they really are pretty stinky.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:19 PM

Reading comprehension seems to escape you Chako when, apart from ignoring all measured requests to provide links to the incidents you relate, you're incapable of even insulting the right poster ...

Old 08-18-2011, 07:39 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,177,189 times
Quote:
I came here several times alone, naively sharing my story with seemingly friendly locals who just wanted to chat and pass the time. I quickly made friends with locals and other americans. I became involved with a man who "moved" to Vieques to "change his life". My involvement with him lead to discovering a strong network of satanic (santeria)/ritualistic torture and murder going on. Much of it used to cover drug-smuggling/selling etc.

The local government, and some residents, ex-pats included, are partaking as well. I felt compelled to share because people do not realize what is going on in Vieques. No one talks about it, for fear. Those who know, are silenced/placated with money, drugs etc. Drug and alcohol abuse are rampant there because of boredom and it's depressing.

Locals there prey on visiting, partying Americans and I was warned many times against "mickey's" in my drink. During my time visiting and meeting many friendly people, I was told local stories about smuggling from St.Croix, people finding drug shipments washed up on shore, taking it home with intent to sell, then being hunted down and killed.
Thank you ParadiseNO.com

Old 08-19-2011, 06:11 AM

14 posts, read 93,429 times
hate to inform u that there's no difference between veques and the main island.. issues are the same. do not let your guard down.. though its a beautiful island.. there is alot of crime here on the main island.. we have alot of great people here.. but beware... drugs and crime is high.. enjoy ur stay and dont stray.. WELCOME..

Old 08-19-2011, 06:17 AM

14 posts, read 93,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirategirl View Post
I live in Vieques full time and I have to tell you that if you keep your NOSE clean and don't hang out with people who drugs, you will be safe. (Hey, wait, I guess that's probably true of anywhere, world wide...go figure!!!)

Yes, there have been about three murders since Jan. that were clearly related to drugs. Yes, one person was beheaded...upon his release from prison. He'd just been released...he had been convicted of sexually abusing a young child. (I'll get the coffee, you guys debate amongst yourselves about the ethical minefield around *that* topic.)

Why anyone would want to bad mouth Vieques while also say they live there is beyond me. If it sucks so much, go home. Please.

As to the person who puts together that web site, he is living proof that you can make statistics say anything you want them to say with just enough innuendo and manipulation.

Just like anywhere in the Caribbean (read the St. Thomas and St. Croix papers on line if you like) drug smuggling is a constant battle and that's where most of this crime comes from. Add to it the fact that there are a lot of houses sitting empty for 10 months out of the year and you can pretty much figure out where the crime comes from....

so if you are a tourist and are not going to make some money smuggling drugs, won't be an a$$hole to the locals, and don't plan to buy a house that you will leave empty for 10 months out of the year, come on down and have a good time. Leave your stuff at the house, who needs a watch or a cell phone when you're in paradise anyhow....

Common sense is always a good travel companion, Vieques is no different form other places as far as that goes...

P.S. If you decide not to come to Vieques for vacation, for GOD'S SAKE DON'T GO TO NYC! Have you seen their crime rate? (just a little levity for the alarmists on this thread...)

very well put......

Old 08-20-2011, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Pirategirl? You probably ARE ONE PIRATE THIEF in the islands. Perhaps a drinker too? Mmmm... Hey! Do you lose your boat? And do you really think people will travel where people's heads can potentially get CHOPPED off with a MACHETE while on vacation???? Not one of you has expressed the numbers and those who have been killed. No remorse or advice. Why are you scared of that website??? LOL Please~ People are smarter than that. The island is finished, any you guys know it. Time to go.....
Indeed time for you to go, Chako, You've not sensibly responded to any source request from anyone but simply ranted and rambled on. Your credibility is zero. Bye bye.

Old 08-20-2011, 06:16 PM

4,602 posts, read 6,364,058 times
We've beaten this horse to death, it's time to end the thread.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 08-22-2011, 01:10 PM

355 posts, read 717,012 times
El caballo está muerte!

I started this thread with a question about the site ParadiseNo five months ago. After all the feedback posted, it's a safe conclusion that the site's representations of tourist/resident safety on Vieques are a bit on the "fringe" end of things and not accurate. Somewhere in the mix there is most likely a grain or two of truth which has been exaggerated and intentionally mis-represented. Why, who can say?

So... if I began the thread, may I close it?

Yo decree este es cerrada. jejeje
Moderator cut: Thread closed. Yac.

Last edited by Yac; 08-23-2011 at 12:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories