Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2011, 01:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,821 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking to rent a place in a tropical climate this winter. We are adventurous mid-twenties self-employed writers/artists looking for inspiration, culture and perspective. We want to explore nature, relax on beaches and eat organic vegetables. We are very friendly, laid back and believe less is more. We also have a medium sized dog and 2 cats who insist on coming along. We would prefer not to NEED a car. Walkability or public transportation would be nice but willing to get a car if a better and more affordable location demands it.

- Hawaii was our first thought but very expensive, Americanized

- Mexico (particularly Isla of Mujeres) seems small, expensive

- Costa Rica is our new front runner for the diversity and affordability (and for being the greenest county on earth)

- Puerto Rico and Panama are also on the Central America radar but we don't know as much about them

These are the places we've researched, hope you get the just of our search criteria - any comments or suggestions greatly appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 04:07 AM

202 posts, read 686,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker630 View Post
My wife and I are looking to rent a place in a tropical climate this winter. We are adventurous mid-twenties self-employed writers/artists looking for inspiration, culture and perspective. We want to explore nature, relax on beaches and eat organic vegetables. We are very friendly, laid back and believe less is more. We also have a medium sized dog and 2 cats who insist on coming along. We would prefer not to NEED a car. Walkability or public transportation would be nice but willing to get a car if a better and more affordable location demands it.

- Hawaii was our first thought but very expensive, Americanized

- Mexico (particularly Isla of Mujeres) seems small, expensive

- Costa Rica is our new front runner for the diversity and affordability (and for being the greenest county on earth)

- Puerto Rico and Panama are also on the Central America radar but we don't know as much about them

These are the places we've researched, hope you get the just of our search criteria - any comments or suggestions greatly appreciated!!!
OK first,do you speak Spanish? You can't get around in Mexico,Panama,Costa Rica,or Puerto Rico(Somewhat) without it.

Also, is money an issue? Are you willing to pay big money to live in places like Hawaii? And what about immigration? Do you have a way of getting a visa to go to Mexico or Panama or whatever? That's not an issue with Hawaii and Puerto Rico, because they are both under U.S. jurisdiction, of course.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:15 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,033,621 times
While it might be cheaper than all 50 States its by no means a steal to live in PR. If you want your money to go farther think foreign countries, especially Central America. If you want to live like a KING think Nicaragua! Its as beautiful as Costa Rica with as much biodiversity but for a fraction of the price.

Old 08-21-2011, 04:26 PM

74 posts, read 295,161 times
"Hawaii was our first thought but very expensive, Americanized"

Hawaii IS America.

I am sorry, but this sounds ignorant.

Old 08-21-2011, 05:04 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vashdown View Post
"Hawaii was our first thought but very expensive, Americanized"

Hawaii IS America.

I am sorry, but this sounds ignorant.
Color me unsurprised. About 21% of Americans can't point out where the U.S. is on a map of the U.S.

Old 08-21-2011, 05:38 PM

74 posts, read 295,161 times
In respect to your 3 animals you want to take along for the winter: Have you researched just how much it costs to travel internationally with animals?

I have 2 Persian cats, and have taken them to France, Lebanon, and back and forth to the USA, but I only do this when I will be abroad for 3 or 4 months. Otherwise, i get a petsitter.

Not only will you pay AT LEAST 250 dollars EACH WAY for the cats/ dog, you will need to make sure that animals will be able to enter the country easily. Also, you will need to go to the vet beforehand to get a certification stating they are fit to travel.

Cost:

500/ dollars per animal (minimum) for Round-Trip international traval x 3= $1,500
Vet fees= $200

Estimate: 1,800 dollars to take your animals abraod with you.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:05 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,872,814 times
I have a problem with Nicarague, since the Communist Daniel Ortega was emected back in power 2 years ago.
To the op : CR seems to me a sure bet, more expensive than Nicaragua but you've got what you pay for, right? last winter I rented a big studio with A/C all amenities and pool in Quepos 1000 bucks for 3 weeks, I don't find this expensive and I'm a very average wage earner .

Old 08-22-2011, 08:11 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,872,814 times
Oh and forget about Panama : I did a research on the web (wanted initially to vacation there next winter), it's 30% more expensive than CR, and the reason is that there are not as many hotels, hostels, and rentals - besides some places : Colon and the Darien , are insecure (much more than the CocaCola bus station in San José,- people who traveled to CR know what I mean-).
I'm currently researching Yucatan, I know Mexico has some problems right now, but I've heard good things about Tulum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories