U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 01:20 PM

428 posts, read 763,538 times
Have you considered accepting the job and living outside of San Juan? That salary should get you a pretty good living in the countryside and life is not bad in places like Cayey or Naranjito.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 05:41 AM

137 posts, read 122,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portorro View Post
Have you considered accepting the job and living outside of San Juan? That salary should get you a pretty good living in the countryside and life is not bad in places like Cayey or Naranjito.
And then get stuck in traffic. I personally think that would be an awful solution. It can take me 45 minutes to to from the beach to school which is 7 miles. Cayey is on the bottom half of the island so forget driving at all between 2:30 PM and 6:30 PM. I have no idea what a morning commute is like as my classes are in the evening.

Plus I used to live in Las Cumbres next to La Inter and paid 1/3 of what I pay now in Ocean Park. Avoid the beach and your rent will be cheap but you don't have to go far.

Old 03-10-2012, 05:29 PM

172 posts, read 139,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
It's not very appealing when you consider the cost of living. In order to enjoy the conveniences of what most people in the mainland take for granted in terms of access, you're looking at a dramatic premium in PR. 50K doesn't cut that. 50K is decent money on low cost of living South/Midwest United States. PR living is akin to Hawaii in terms of cost, which is why PR looks so riff raffy (i.e the median income is low).

I'd punt on that offer. They're trying to pay you in sunshine. Trust me, it ain't worth it.
Hindsight is right, you won't like it here, too crowded, big drug problem inherited from U.S. thug culture plus you'll automatically become a second-class U.S. citizen just by living in PR, you'll end up complaining about everything while you're here and badmouthing us when you go back because life wasn't easy, go somewhere ELSE.

Old 03-11-2012, 01:06 PM

80 posts, read 160,442 times
How can you NOT make $50K work well for you in San Juan? If you need help making that work for you, I'd be happy to help you budget. Puerto Rico is a beautiful place to live with some of the nicest people you will ever meet, but live in the wealthier areas and not the caserio.

And, DO NOT MOVE to the countryside. Traffic is insane. Living closer to work is the key. You can do that easily on $40-$50K if you leave your options open of what type of home you will accept, meaning condos or a small home. If you are smart, the costs of living is comparable to any other large city in the states.

Old 03-11-2012, 01:53 PM

137 posts, read 122,664 times
I totally agree with La Boricua Rosa. I may be moving to the US Virgin Islands and will be making about 45,000. That will be very hard. I am am from the San Francisco Bay Area and PR is super cheap compared to the Bay Area. Food costs are the same. Gas is way cheaper here in PR. Rent is dirt cheap. I could never live a block from the beach in CA for pennies like I do here. The only thing that is expensive is electricity. But if I economise I can keep my bill down to 50 in the winter and about 80 in summer.

In the USVI electricity is 2.5X the price that is is in PR. I was comparing bills per watt of a friend in the USVI. Food is super expensive and there is no Costco to go to like there is here.

Anyway you don't care about the USVI. But 45,000 to 50,000 is very good salary here. It really is not expensive except for electricity and even that can be managed.

Activities are cheap in Puerto Rico. You pay 6 USD to go to the movies here and concerts are a lot cheaper. Plus there are always free events like movies in the park next to the lagoon in Condado. Or salsa concerts in the park on the way to Old San Juan. Or the concerts the last SUnday of ever month in Condado.

If you are active you can find any type of activity here from Tae Kwon Do, Capoeria, roller derby, paddle boarding, surfing, kite boarding, cycling, and at least a dozen styles of yoga. ANy activity you can find in any US big city you will find here. There are several groups that meet at night during the week and cycle around town. And the stuff you pay for is cheap. Roller derbyis less than 10 USD a month where the states it is over 100. Yoga is about 10 to 12 USD for a single class where in the states it is 16 to 18. Capoeira is 1/3 the price it is back home. I pay 30 USD a month for unlimited dance lessons including 4 levels of salsa classes, chachacha, bachata, merenge, ballet, and zumba.

And again every weekend there is something free "en plein aire" from Ocean Park to Old San Juan. And since I live in this area I ride my bike to this stuff as there would be no place to park any way.

I say do it. It will be an awesome experience. You only live once and why not do it in 80 degree weather all year long.

And just ignore the poster expatriado. That bitter person is not representative of the people you will find here.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:02 AM

639 posts, read 958,601 times
What is so much more expensive in PR besides electricity? Gas is cheaper than most states, if you eat local food it's definitely cheap. Rent is cheaper, and many landlords will pay your utilities. If I had 45 or 50 grand a year coming to me here, I'd never leave. Unfortunately I'd have to live on half of that if I stayed, so I'm out in May.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories