U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 04-11-2012, 08:37 AM
 
80 posts, read 189,277 times
Reputation: 70

Advertisements

There seems to be a lot of advertising for educators to go to Texas. Is Texas the new migration hot spot for Puerto Rico? I also know quite a few number of PRicans who have moved to Georgia and North Carolina. I also read a recent article in El Nuevo Día and US Today that told how recent graduates in technology and science are being sought after in universities in PR, like UPR Mayagüez (RUM).

If there are less employment opportunities in PR, then of course there will be migration to other areas with possible employment opportunities. The discrimination toward PR in various areas of the US is appalling. We are all citizens of the US. However, this discrimination is what made me want to leave the US and return to PR in the first place. It's a constant in the south.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-11-2012, 05:35 PM
 
1,557 posts, read 2,623,716 times
Reputation: 3715
Quote:
Originally Posted by La Boricua Rosa View Post
There seems to be a lot of advertising for educators to go to Texas. Is Texas the new migration hot spot for Puerto Rico? I also know quite a few number of PRicans who have moved to Georgia and North Carolina. I also read a recent article in El Nuevo Día and US Today that told how recent graduates in technology and science are being sought after in universities in PR, like UPR Mayagüez (RUM).

If there are less employment opportunities in PR, then of course there will be migration to other areas with possible employment opportunities. The discrimination toward PR in various areas of the US is appalling. We are all citizens of the US. However, this discrimination is what made me want to leave the US and return to PR in the first place. It's a constant in the south.
Come on. Um, the 1970s NYC are calling, they want their copout back. I am a first generation Puerto Rican. You know where I finished my degree in aerospace engineering? The University of Alabama. Was my social interaction sprinkled with racism? Yes. But that didn't make me wanna go curl up in a ball and go back "a la islita porque allí po'l lo menos no me discriminan....".

The reason you don't hear Georgia, N.Carolina, Texas touted as a mecca among Ricans is because in order to get competitive jobs you need an education and the willingness to assimilate as a minority...not bring half the "municipio" with you with no education and blast Gilberto Santa Rosa up and down the street while decrying you're not being given a fair shot in America. The Ricans that have settled in these states follow a more ethnic-neutral migration pattern. This is to say, all sorts of minorities with the right credentials are moving to the GA, NC, TXs of this Country. There's oil booms in Western North Dakota, NW Louisiana, SE Texas. You don't hear too many Ricans moving there, but some are. You just have to be willing to do away with that folkloric hangup and assimilate. Most of the people who are unwilling to do that or don't have the educational skillset to make that jump simply congregate in Central Florida, NYC, et al. And to be certain, there are a BOATLOAD of Ricans in Texas, Carolina and Georgia... The metro areas of Dallas/Houston, Charlotte and Atlanta to be specific.

But please, racism in the South? You don't say. That would be akin to saying "well I was gonna go to college and make something of myself, but I couldn't find parking the first day so I quit." If people want the "arroz con gandules" experience over a livable wage job in a place they don't culturally identify with, then that's good and great, but don't blame the system for that choice.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2012, 12:02 AM
 
92 posts, read 138,994 times
Reputation: 105
Florida is the new New York/ Chicago, people migrate at a higher rate than to other portions and fail to assimilate and just create their little Puerto Rico and after a couple of years that they are doing the same crap in Florida that they were doing in PR and just come back. And the cycle will keep repeating and repeating until they start having kids there and you get the second generation and third and you will have the third largest migration point for puertoricans in the state.

My biggest questions is why where ever large concentrations of puertoricans end up it becomes such a big ghetto? I just can't comprehend that. I have some theories but it just baffles me why we become so marginalized when we have all the tools needed to succeed.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2012, 06:30 AM
 
4,080 posts, read 3,538,647 times
Reputation: 3818
Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
Come on. Um, the 1970s NYC are calling, they want their copout back. I am a first generation Puerto Rican. You know where I finished my degree in aerospace engineering? The University of Alabama. Was my social interaction sprinkled with racism? Yes. But that didn't make me wanna go curl up in a ball and go back "a la islita porque allí po'l lo menos no me discriminan....".

The reason you don't hear Georgia, N.Carolina, Texas touted as a mecca among Ricans is because in order to get competitive jobs you need an education and the willingness to assimilate as a minority...not bring half the "municipio" with you with no education and blast Gilberto Santa Rosa up and down the street while decrying you're not being given a fair shot in America. The Ricans that have settled in these states follow a more ethnic-neutral migration pattern. This is to say, all sorts of minorities with the right credentials are moving to the GA, NC, TXs of this Country. There's oil booms in Western North Dakota, NW Louisiana, SE Texas. You don't hear too many Ricans moving there, but some are. You just have to be willing to do away with that folkloric hangup and assimilate. Most of the people who are unwilling to do that or don't have the educational skillset to make that jump simply congregate in Central Florida, NYC, et al. And to be certain, there are a BOATLOAD of Ricans in Texas, Carolina and Georgia... The metro areas of Dallas/Houston, Charlotte and Atlanta to be specific.

But please, racism in the South? You don't say. That would be akin to saying "well I was gonna go to college and make something of myself, but I couldn't find parking the first day so I quit." If people want the "arroz con gandules" experience over a livable wage job in a place they don't culturally identify with, then that's good and great, but don't blame the system for that choice.

Great synopsis!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2012, 04:05 PM
 
2,322 posts, read 2,268,167 times
Reputation: 1534
Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
Come on. Um, the 1970s NYC are calling, they want their copout back. I am a first generation Puerto Rican. You know where I finished my degree in aerospace engineering? The University of Alabama. Was my social interaction sprinkled with racism? Yes. But that didn't make me wanna go curl up in a ball and go back "a la islita porque allí po'l lo menos no me discriminan....".

The reason you don't hear Georgia, N.Carolina, Texas touted as a mecca among Ricans is because in order to get competitive jobs you need an education and the willingness to assimilate as a minority...not bring half the "municipio" with you with no education and blast Gilberto Santa Rosa up and down the street while decrying you're not being given a fair shot in America. The Ricans that have settled in these states follow a more ethnic-neutral migration pattern. This is to say, all sorts of minorities with the right credentials are moving to the GA, NC, TXs of this Country. There's oil booms in Western North Dakota, NW Louisiana, SE Texas. You don't hear too many Ricans moving there, but some are. You just have to be willing to do away with that folkloric hangup and assimilate. Most of the people who are unwilling to do that or don't have the educational skillset to make that jump simply congregate in Central Florida, NYC, et al. And to be certain, there are a BOATLOAD of Ricans in Texas, Carolina and Georgia... The metro areas of Dallas/Houston, Charlotte and Atlanta to be specific.

But please, racism in the South? You don't say. That would be akin to saying "well I was gonna go to college and make something of myself, but I couldn't find parking the first day so I quit." If people want the "arroz con gandules" experience over a livable wage job in a place they don't culturally identify with, then that's good and great, but don't blame the system for that choice.
Aw man. I was liking what you had to say, and then I found out you went to Alabama.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2012, 11:09 AM
 
Location: Philly
35 posts, read 90,006 times
Reputation: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunch View Post
Florida is the new New York/ Chicago, people migrate at a higher rate than to other portions and fail to assimilate and just create their little Puerto Rico and after a couple of years that they are doing the same crap in Florida that they were doing in PR and just come back. And the cycle will keep repeating and repeating until they start having kids there and you get the second generation and third and you will have the third largest migration point for puertoricans in the state.

My biggest questions is why where ever large concentrations of puertoricans end up it becomes such a big ghetto? I just can't comprehend that. I have some theories but it just baffles me why we become so marginalized when we have all the tools needed to succeed.
unfortunately theres a high poverty rate among Puerto Ricans, poverty breeds high crime and "ghetto-ness". and dont let island lie to u and say its only american puerto ricans that are ghetto and poor, cuz over half the people living in pr live below the poverty line (highest under the US flag). puerto rico also has the highest number of public housing projects in the US, dont believe me, look it up

also the main reason most puerto ricans wont assimilate and have alot of pride is mainly because were a colony, which brings alot of problems, false pride, laziness and leeching of the American system
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2012, 11:21 AM
 
Location: Miami, FL
2,793 posts, read 2,440,988 times
Reputation: 3518
Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
Come on. Um, the 1970s NYC are calling, they want their copout back. I am a first generation Puerto Rican. You know where I finished my degree in aerospace engineering? The University of Alabama. Was my social interaction sprinkled with racism? Yes. But that didn't make me wanna go curl up in a ball and go back "a la islita porque allí po'l lo menos no me discriminan....".

The reason you don't hear Georgia, N.Carolina, Texas touted as a mecca among Ricans is because in order to get competitive jobs you need an education and the willingness to assimilate as a minority...not bring half the "municipio" with you with no education and blast Gilberto Santa Rosa up and down the street while decrying you're not being given a fair shot in America. The Ricans that have settled in these states follow a more ethnic-neutral migration pattern. This is to say, all sorts of minorities with the right credentials are moving to the GA, NC, TXs of this Country. There's oil booms in Western North Dakota, NW Louisiana, SE Texas. You don't hear too many Ricans moving there, but some are. You just have to be willing to do away with that folkloric hangup and assimilate. Most of the people who are unwilling to do that or don't have the educational skillset to make that jump simply congregate in Central Florida, NYC, et al. And to be certain, there are a BOATLOAD of Ricans in Texas, Carolina and Georgia... The metro areas of Dallas/Houston, Charlotte and Atlanta to be specific.

But please, racism in the South? You don't say. That would be akin to saying "well I was gonna go to college and make something of myself, but I couldn't find parking the first day so I quit." If people want the "arroz con gandules" experience over a livable wage job in a place they don't culturally identify with, then that's good and great, but don't blame the system for that choice.
oh, you're good.

I get it
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2012, 05:18 PM
 
Location: Puerto Rico
7 posts, read 14,493 times
Reputation: 13
Because it's similar to PR (weather, etc.), and because there are lots of Hispanics in that area, (Miami).
Nothing wrong with that, in my opinion.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2012, 02:23 AM
 
93 posts, read 107,394 times
Reputation: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latina7 View Post
I go to Central Florida every year for the winter, and my experience with PRicans is that most of the ones coming to the Orlando Area, are leaving the Bronx, and Brooklyn ghettos' of NYC enmass. Many are second-generation who have not made it in NYC, or have little education, with no goals, no motivation, and no self-discipline. And have the tendency to blame their failure on the system....With goals, motivation, self-discipline and a plan, they can further their education or go to a trade school to learn, and the doors to their future will open W I D E.......O P E N.......

I'm going to play the role of interloper here for a second, if I may.
I think that racialization coupled with the second class citizenship has to characterized Puerto Rican experience in the northeast. Being tarbrush (as many PR's appear to be) has usually meant being socially stigmatized for being seen as closer to Black for most of 20th century. Add 2nd class citizenship to mix and you have a volatile compound mix. It appears this is the precipice on which collective experience on stands in the northeast atleast. Understanding Mainland Puerto Rican Poverty by Susan Baker touches on this somewhat, however it obvious there many other factors involved.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2012, 10:06 AM
 
210 posts, read 452,843 times
Reputation: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
Central Florida is the late 20th century/early 21st version of New York City. It's the latest ghetto enclave of emigrating Puerto Ricans. Just like the first and second wave, most of the folks moving to Central Florida lack a marketable education or reasonable leads for competitive employment. Many return back to the island within 24 months. Many more end up hopping back and forth.

Reasons for central Florida are simple. It was a sprawling element from the Miami area. It was perceived as having employment opportunities of consequence compared to over-saturated Miami, while still retaining a semblance of a warm climate. Just like Miami, it retains relatively cheap airfare to and from the island, which is huge for these folks. The only reason the President went to save face in San Juan last year was to court the central Florida vote. Everybody understands this. The island itself is and has been politically irrelevant to our continental affairs for quite a while. As it should be, considering the level of self-appointed indecision Puerto Ricans have willingly opted for.

As we all know, the scheme of pulling chocks and rounding up the wagon sight-unseen to a new frontier without a job lined up is an utter failure of a plan. Worked for the Sooners in the 1800s when land had no dibs yet, but these days, it's foolish and desperate. There's no 'something for nothing' anymore.

My real beef with the particular migration pattern you highlight in your post is that this particular group of Puerto Ricans is developing a rather nasty anti-american sentiment in central Florida that arises from their own frustration in failing to attain headway in the American Economy. They feel marginalized when they don't get the milk and honey day-to-day they thought they were entitled to by merely going through the "hardship" of giving up sunny island weather. Sounds dense but that's exactly how they see it. Education levels, networking and geographical flexibility outside Florida never crossed their brain. Consequently, their anger is being channeled into a classic "ghetto" pattern of clustering, just like their forefathers in New York did more than half a century ago. If they haven't been paying attention, they got a Newyorican in the Supreme Court and a black president; i.e. the Country has got over the affirmative action stigma. The boat has sailed. There may still be economic disadvantages to getting ahead in the workplace if your name is Garcia, but baby that pitch is getting harder to capitalize on anymore when you have black presidents, Rican supreme court judges and hispanics in every facet of corporate america. Having 'Tokens' in high places is not good for the handout crowd and these Ricans need to get with the program.

This migration pattern is not good either for the state of Florida or the general perception of Puerto Ricans in the CONUS. I've had plenty of PRicans from extended family in Florida look at me like I have three heads when I tell them my educational and work pursuits have had me living for 3-4 years at a time in places like Georgia, Alabama,Louisiana, Oklahoma, Texas and even Indiana (who they can't even pick on a map). They see it as the Moon. Alien to their condition.... But their economic dispossession, within the context of that unwillingness, is somehow other people's fault...

These are natural born US citizens mind you, but just like I would tell a Mexican immigrant: assimilate or get out of my Country.
You are unfortunately, spot on. I believe there is a social class issue at play also here. I find that the less educated and/or less socially diverse people are, the more likely they are to cluster in a ghetto.

Last edited by Annie of Oldsmar; 05-15-2012 at 12:23 PM..
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top