Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 04:27 PM

4 posts, read 14,588 times

Advertisements

Hi, me my wife and two girls are contemplating to move back to Puerto Rico, I work for the U.S Postal Service and maybe I am transfering, my wife's hole family lives over there, I know all the problems that Puerto Rico have and watching Wapa Television does not help I am impressed by the crime in the Island twice of the NY City!my daughters are 14, and 9 they speak some Spanish but they don't write we curent live in Oklahoma and it is ok here cost of living etc but we feel isolated`and we miss the beach, the girls want to go my wife too but I am having cold feet about it.
We left back in 2006 due to all the problems in the Island in search of a better life but with the economy crises and housing crash we did not achieve our goal my wife always find a job anywere we also moved to 3 different cities in this last 6 years and we are tired now, but I would like to hear some opinions.Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 01:25 PM

4,601 posts, read 6,359,230 times
Hmmm....with a Post Office job, where do you have an option of transferring to ? Are you thinking Metro San Juan with 2 teenage girls, who don't communicate well in Spanish ? Perhaps a smaller city far removed from San Juan ? What about So Florida..., beaches, real estate there is finally affordable, better/more opportunities for the kids, and wife....
Were I in your shoes, regardless of how gorgeous the beaches are, PR would be on the bottom of the list.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 04-24-2012, 01:44 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,394,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy64 View Post
Hi, me my wife and two girls are contemplating to move back to Puerto Rico, I work for the U.S Postal Service and maybe I am transfering, my wife's hole family lives over there, I know all the problems that Puerto Rico have and watching Wapa Television does not help I am impressed by the crime in the Island twice of the NY City!my daughters are 14, and 9 they speak some Spanish but they don't write we curent live in Oklahoma and it is ok here cost of living etc but we feel isolated`and we miss the beach, the girls want to go my wife too but I am having cold feet about it.
We left back in 2006 due to all the problems in the Island in search of a better life but with the economy crises and housing crash we did not achieve our goal my wife always find a job anywere we also moved to 3 different cities in this last 6 years and we are tired now, but I would like to hear some opinions.Thanks.
I can definitely sympathize with your wife and daughters' emotional yearning to relocate to PR. Who among us would not love being near family, childhood friends, our accent, our joyful humor, our music, our beaches, etc? However, this may be one of those moments where you, as a loving and responsible father and husband, must place logic, reasoning and the wellbeing of your loved ones before the emotional yearnings of wife and daughters.

I won't say that you and your family are doomed if you return to PR now. That all depends on many variables. Yet, as a father myself, I would encourage you to weigh (and write down) the pro's and con's of a potential return to PR.

How does what you have now in Oklahoma compare to what you don't yet have in PR?

How does what you have and don't yet have compare to your's and your family's life goals?

Can those goals be best accomplished in Oklahoma or PR?

I'm sure you and your wife could come up with several reasonable questions of your own which will give you direction. I urgently encourage you to have an open and sincere discussion with your wife (and possibly your daughters) and write down all the different points on paper for further analysis.

¡Buena suerte hermanito!

Old 04-24-2012, 05:49 PM
mym

706 posts, read 1,170,674 times
i say go for it. see if you can live on the west coast. send the girls to ramey or seso. the classes are in english and they have ssl classes. personally i wouldnt move unless i could afford to put my kids in a private school. that's my only concern.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:30 PM

I would be station in San Juan Hato-Rey General P.O I don't have any other option now and PR don't come easy! I can't live in the west coast is to far for me I am aware about the schools yes it has to be private, we don't have much here in Oklahoma just to cars we live in a small town north of OKC called Edmond wich suppose to have the best school system and I am not impressed the facilities are awesome but the education is not that great except for the extra curricular activities that are great but I think that will be for their advantage to grow up bilingual and with a culture family etc..
My wife works as a case manager here in OKC but I hear that the job marketing is even worst in PR . We have a lot of support from her family until we can get in our feet I know the cost of living is about the same except for electricity I still undecided and I thank you all for the support.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:12 PM

We are going toPR on june 13th, new life!

Old 07-31-2012, 07:53 PM

1 posts, read 3,704 times
My husband us from PR and like you he's contemplating moving from Texas to San Juan. How did ur trip go? Any advice?

Old 07-31-2012, 08:13 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,997,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy64 View Post
We are going toPR on june 13th, new life!
Keep us informed of your adjustment, we would love to hear from you and yours.

Orlando, Florida has a huge Puerto Rican population, and it seems most of them are employed. You can get a 4- bedroom, detached- new house, with a pool for $125,000, or you can rent it for about $900 per month. Has an international airport, and one can be in Puerto Rico in 2 hours.

Good luck to all of you........

Old 04-20-2013, 04:32 PM

15 posts, read 69,966 times
If you can get the transfer do it. Your wife and children, I am sure, would prefer it. The average household income, as you know, is much lower than stateside. It isn't like you would be going over there and having no one or nothing there. You have her family and if you live out in the country or in a suburb on the western side, I think the crime rate is considerably lower. Hope I helped, feel free to write back.
Jeff

Old 09-22-2015, 08:01 PM

Default sorry the delay!

Well after almost 4 years in Puerto Rico I must say it was not easy even though we had my whole family full support I want to tell what happened here:
1- My wife was never able to get a job like in the stes there where some ridiculous offers like $1, 000 for teaching etc.
2-our kids were obligated to go to private school $400.00 a month per kid and the education sucked my oldest sayd they were 2 years behind! And the classes supposed to be in english but since the teacher did not see any gringos in the class she took of in Spanish of course we complained. And since we could not afford we decided to home school our kids (one of the better moves we ever made!)
3-My teenager daughter does not like Puerto Rico at all! Was never able to make friends because of the language barrier (puertoricans specially young don't know english or thinks she knows spanish and is trying to be cool.
The 12 yo is more used to it , they have plenty of activities singing theater, rockband but everything is expensive .
4- I got my position back as an electronic tech at the PO and they pay 11.5% cola but it all goes, rent electricity is around 400 a month etc...Now the Isald is bankrupt and is getting worse sales tax 11.5% and the plan is to raise to 17%!.
5-So we are contemplating to move back to the states, San Antonio Texas could be an option but I never been thereI now some people that work on the Post office there and they say is awesome there so wright now Im in the cross roads
6- Thousands of Puertoriquenos are living the Island and it is sad!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories