U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 06:50 AM

5 posts, read 19,855 times

Advertisements

Hey thanks for all the great info. It's a start. I'm working on the SSDI part but If none of that is available, I hate to ask, but are there any jobs around, like house keeping? Someone mentioned a higher cost of living...How much higher?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 07:34 AM

473 posts, read 842,419 times
Living solely on SS, SSI or any government program is possible or impossible, depending on a series of factors. If one thinks of living in a beach community , a condo, or a high end area like Miramar or Condado forget it!

If one insists on living in the metropolitan area one should check out Rio Piedras where most Dominicans live. Dominicans usually live on much less income than the general PR population.

If one picks to relocate to a small town say, like Adjuntas, Ciales or Juncos, one might be able to pull it off better, however one has to change one's life style to be closer to that of people who live in small towns of Mississippi, Aabama or Texas. Rental properties in smaller towns are easier to get and some are begging for renters. Any land lord would be willing to negotiate a rent as long as its reasonable and steady. Keep away from towns with large Section 8 recipients because they have cornered the market and landlords prefer them.

A big problem would be trying to fit in. Like any small town, people are suspicious of strangers, but its never like living in the deep South. If one has family in these towns its better, but don't expect the Puerto Rico of 1948 when families watched out for each other.

Many of these towns have relocated their food marts to out skirts of town, requiring long walks or a car. If one keeps to Ventorillos, Plazas del Mercado or town colmados, one might be able to save.
Wheels are a requirement because the once reliable publicos have all but disappeared. Nonetheless some municipal governments have put in place hourly busses which are free. Inter town transportation by busses still exists, specially the route Humacao, Caguas, Rio Piedras for $1 +. But one has to be back home before sundown.

If renting in a small town one also has to figure out what to do with one self. Most of these towns are desolate after the sun goes down. Movies shuttered a long time ago. The plazas have been taken over by shady characters, but neighborhood bars are open and friendly year round. Beer is $1.25, and a Fonda meal is about from $3.00 to $7.00, mostly at noon.

If push comes to shove one can always find some sort of job to supplement income like most Dominicans always do.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:08 AM

8 posts, read 15,966 times
Default Social Security Retirement in Puerto Rico

What are some of the best places for someone living on retirement income. Looking for a place not so remote with things to do, but private, good internet service, transportation.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:35 AM

2 posts, read 2,435 times
I have compared the COL of my state and PR and find it much more appealing to live in PR since I am on both SSI/SSDI. I wouldn't need SNAP or other benefits, so would I still receive my benefit each month ? and would I have to return regularly to the states for any evaluations?

Old 04-09-2014, 10:43 AM

2 posts, read 2,435 times
I am a small town girl from Texas, I can understand and speak several languages (including latin), I prefer the quiet life to the city....sounds like I might just fit in there!!

Old 04-12-2014, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine1963 View Post
I have compared the COL of my state and PR and find it much more appealing to live in PR since I am on both SSI/SSDI. I wouldn't need SNAP or other benefits, so would I still receive my benefit each month ? and would I have to return regularly to the states for any evaluations?
What I understand is that you might continue recieving certain benefits however they are not on par with those of a state. Parity is one of the so called benefits outlined in the recent GAO study ( April 2014). As a state Puerto Rico will get parity with the other 50 states. Sounds great for Puerto Ricans but the question is how is that going to fare in a future Republican Congress, food for thought.

Old 07-14-2018, 03:38 PM

996 posts, read 414,891 times
Exclamation Statehood.....!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clip314 View Post
What I understand is that you might continue recieving certain benefits however they are not on par with those of a state. Parity is one of the so called benefits outlined in the recent GAO study ( April 2014). As a state Puerto Rico will get parity with the other 50 states. Sounds great for Puerto Ricans but the question is how is that going to fare in a future Republican Congress, food for thought.

ALL my family..........WILL VOTE FOR STATEHOOD........!!!!!!

Old 07-15-2018, 11:14 AM

328 posts, read 137,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasie123 View Post
ALL my family..........WILL VOTE FOR STATEHOOD........!!!!!!
New York is already a state.

Old 07-15-2018, 05:31 PM
miu

16,964 posts, read 34,121,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branal View Post
new york is already a state.
lol!!!

Old 07-17-2018, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdixson913 View Post
I am wanting to move to Puerto Rico from mainland U.S. and draw SSI. I am wondering if anyone knows if I will still be able to get my benefits such as monthly check, medical insurance, and food stamps there?

When are we going to get away from this WELFARE MENTALITY !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories