U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-03-2012, 09:36 PM

18,834 posts, read 9,082,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by espizarro View Post
Who cares what the British say, we all know they are as arrastraos and lambones as some Puerto Ricans are with the US.

Again, as I said, America is the continent, YOU get over it, dividing the continent in two is not going to change the fact that AMERICA is NOT the United States.

Most people in the world consider America the continent.
Most people in the world DO NOT consider America as one continent. It's only the Spanish speaking countries that do, plus a few others in eastern Europe. Even India, China, much of Western Europe consider the Americas as 2 continents. There's a North America and South America. For goodness sakes, the two continents are on different tectonic plates . What's with the insults towards English speakers, by the way? That's low brow of you to call them that, especially seeing as you live in the US. GO back to Puerto Rico and fight for independence that no one wants, seeing as you sound like a typical independista
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2012, 10:50 PM

666 posts, read 263,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Most people in the world DO NOT consider America as one continent. It's only the Spanish speaking countries that do, plus a few others in eastern Europe. Even India, China, much of Western Europe consider the Americas as 2 continents. There's a North America and South America. For goodness sakes, the two continents are on different tectonic plates . What's with the insults towards English speakers, by the way? That's low brow of you to call them that, especially seeing as you live in the US. GO back to Puerto Rico and fight for independence that no one wants, seeing as you sound like a typical independista
Yeah... the typical comment coming from an estadista fanatico. LOL. Who is even mentioning something about independence of Puerto Rico for God's sake? I am not insulting anyone. It is arrogant to use the name of a landmass to refer to a country- ok maybe not arrogance, but let's say lack of originality. The rest of people from the country in the America landmass are still americanos, or are you going to tell me that a Brazilian is South American but not American and a person from the U.S. is North American and American? The U.S. can get its own name, like Canada and Mexico did. There is nothing wrong with that, if they don't want as a nation they can choose to stay nameless.

Old 11-04-2012, 06:19 AM

Tom, unfortunately, he's Puerto Rican just like me. He smells of an independista, though (which is why he accuses me of being a PNP radical), which I'm wondering why he hasn't gone back to Puerto Rico if he thinks Americans are so arrogant and geographically challenged? I told him only the butthurt Spaniards, which in turn influenced the Latin Americans, say North and South America are one continent. Majority of the world sees us as separate from South America and the majority of the world calls us Americans and say we live in 'America'.

Last edited by Annie of Oldsmar; 11-04-2012 at 06:57 AM..

Old 11-04-2012, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Yeah... the typical comment coming from an estadista fanatico. LOL. Who is even mentioning something about independence of Puerto Rico for God's sake? I am not insulting anyone. It is arrogant to use the name of a landmass to refer to a country- ok maybe not arrogance, but let's say lack of originality. The rest of people from the country in the America landmass are still americanos, or are you going to tell me that a Brazilian is South American but not American and a person from the U.S. is North American and American? The U.S. can get its own name, like Canada and Mexico did. There is nothing wrong with that, if they don't want as a nation they can choose to stay nameless.
That's what I've been trying to tell you

Do you know why this country is called the United States of America? It shows you don't know your American history. This dates back to the Articles of Confederation which loosely united 13 different "countries" together in a confederacy on the North American continent. The Articles were then replaced with the US Constitution, which kept the old confederate name and the states are still similar to sovereign nations, but united under one flag and they seceded some functions of a sovereign state to the federal government. So, there is your history lesson.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:00 AM

I don't like to argue with statehood fanatics, really. Not that it pisses me but I find them so funny with their lamboneria (kiss a** behavior) that it hurts my stomach and ashame me... But let's see, do you think the party you support in Puerto Rico really look forward for giving PR the statehood when some of their leaders don't even speak English? Do you think they really care for an island with a general decrease in quality of life, more murders than ever before, corruption to nauseating levels... They keep you zombified with their "pledge" to statehood... PLEASE

Old 11-04-2012, 08:26 AM

3,862 posts, read 3,859,168 times
At least the statehooders have more dignity than to vote Yes for the colony. They Soberanistas are also colony supporters since Congress will never approve ELA Soberano. They actually think that they can dictate the terms to us LOL

The only valid status options are statehood or full independence.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:08 AM

2,233 posts, read 2,203,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
Maybe a large corporation like Lockheed-Martin (they have a large presence in San Juan) but I doubt some local firm would hire anyone without Spanish. As much as one needs English to get ahead in PR,you would be particularly crippled without Spanish (for the most part). Exception of this are in Rincon where enough norteamericanos actually live to warrant seeing people tending bars or having their own small businesses where Spanish skills are slim to none.
Yeah that's what I figured. The topic had me wondering if English might be preferred in the professional world though.

Old 11-04-2012, 02:47 PM

1,557 posts, read 2,589,457 times
Quote:
I don't like to argue with statehood fanatics, really. Not that it pisses me but I find them so funny with their lamboneria (kiss a** behavior) that it hurts my stomach and ashame me... But let's see, do you think the party you support in Puerto Rico really look forward for giving PR the statehood when some of their leaders don't even speak English? Do you think they really care for an island with a general decrease in quality of life, more murders than ever before, corruption to nauseating levels... They keep you zombified with their "pledge" to statehood... PLEASE

Puerto Ricans who do not share your views on the political status of the island are not Uncle Toms. Again, you wish to speak for Puerto Ricans as a collective when many do not share your particular sense of national identity. Stop accusing other Puerto Ricans of being less "genuinos". You wouldn't have fared well in present-day Tehran or 18th century England; you've been coddled by the very Americanized cultural construct you decry, to recognize the sheer privilege of getting away with political dissent inside the walls you protest.

I truly don't think you have a concept of how privileged that position is. You remind me of my high school classmates, mocking me in class and spewing hate about my desire to move to the CONUS after graduation. These days you see their facebook profiles: "Lives in: Tampa, FL.. Dallas, TX.. Houston,TX..Fairfax VA, Atlanta GA...Orlando, FL..." et al ad nauseam. Hypocrites. They're the 'Lambones' of the system if you ask me, running up here to the money with their tail between their legs. Blasting their Rican pseudo-patriotism up here ignorantly in the streets. Puerto Ricans should have spent less time being angry about America and paid more attention to US history class. Apparently they didn't get memo about the United States being a Country built by and for Immigrants, which is to say, nobody cares about your arroz con habichuelas up here. Newflash, we all have that from all over the world. Folklore does not equal culture.

At least the rest of Latin and South America has shed blood for their political constructs. Puerto Ricans? We've had it easy historically: 500 years of relatively irrelevant Spanish peasant life colonialism (due to our size mostly) and 100 years of a golden goose ticket to membership in the most affluent post modern super power in post industrial History, with more Ricans shedding blood for ol' Glory in aggregate than the Spanish or the local flag combined. Meh. PRican Independentistas look like weekend civil war reenactment actors when compared to the historical bloodshed of Latin and South Americans. Puerto Ricans are coddled.

Disenroll from your american college, get an airline ticket to PR, get a place down there and knock yourself out calling out Puerto Ricans who identify nationally as 'American' as "lambones". I have no problem with your political position...But not from Tampa, Florida. Doing it from Tampa, FL makes it sound like a typical bitter migrant with an entitlement complex. I'll call you on it every single day of the week and twice on Sunday. Do it from the island if you wish to be taken seriously.

Old 11-04-2012, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
Puerto Ricans who do not share your views on the political status of the island are not Uncle Toms. Again, you wish to speak for Puerto Ricans as a collective when many do not share your particular sense of national identity. Stop accusing other Puerto Ricans of being less "genuinos". You wouldn't have fared well in present-day Tehran or 18th century England; you've been coddled by the very Americanized cultural construct you decry, to recognize the sheer privilege of getting away with political dissent inside the walls you protest.

I truly don't think you have a concept of how privileged that position is. You remind me of my high school classmates, mocking me in class and spewing hate about my desire to move to the CONUS after graduation. These days you see their facebook profiles: "Lives in: Tampa, FL.. Dallas, TX.. Houston,TX..Fairfax VA, Atlanta GA...Orlando, FL..." et al ad nauseam. Hypocrites. They're the 'Lambones' of the system if you ask me, running up here to the money with their tail between their legs. Blasting their Rican pseudo-patriotism up here ignorantly in the streets. Puerto Ricans should have spent less time being angry about America and paid more attention to US history class. Apparently they didn't get memo about the United States being a Country built by and for Immigrants, which is to say, nobody cares about your arroz con habichuelas up here. Newflash, we all have that from all over the world. Folklore does not equal culture.

At least the rest of Latin and South America has shed blood for their political constructs. Puerto Ricans? We've had it easy historically: 500 years of relatively irrelevant Spanish peasant life colonialism (due to our size mostly) and 100 years of a golden goose ticket to membership in the most affluent post modern super power in post industrial History, with more Ricans shedding blood for ol' Glory in aggregate than the Spanish or the local flag combined. Meh. PRican Independentistas look like weekend civil war reenactment actors when compared to the historical bloodshed of Latin and South Americans. Puerto Ricans are coddled.

Disenroll from your american college, get an airline ticket to PR, get a place down there and knock yourself out calling out Puerto Ricans who identify nationally as 'American' as "lambones". I have no problem with your political position...But not from Tampa, Florida. Doing it from Tampa, FL makes it sound like a typical bitter migrant with an entitlement complex. I'll call you on it every single day of the week and twice on Sunday. Do it from the island if you wish to be taken seriously.
I just "love" the mindset of the estadista recalcitrante. First of all, to you and the other two estadistas telling me to move back to Puerto Rico: where did you get that I want PR to be independent? What does all of this political babble has to do with the misuse of the name America? You see, I don't kiss the a** of the Americans like I think you do, the fact that there are some things of Americans that I don't like does not mean I hate them and that I am here hypocritically. You can be sure that I dislike a lot of more things from Puerto Ricans especially from people like you, who have such a mediocre mindset where everything is black and white. You can kiss the Americans all you want, but for me they are just another group of human beings with their good things and bad things and I am never going to drag myself to another group of humans because of pure lamboneria.

And I think this is enough already.

Back to regular programming

Old 11-04-2012, 08:23 PM

232 posts, read 286,504 times
re;espizarro
Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
you've been coddled by the very Americanized cultural construct you decry, to recognize the sheer privilege of getting away with political dissent inside the walls you protest.

I'll call you on it every single day of the week and twice on Sunday. Do it from the island if you wish to be taken seriously.

Pretty much sums it up, what else can be said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories