Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 10:51 PM

103 posts, read 302,153 times

Advertisements

PR will be solid democrat. It will be a really good experiment for repubs to see how they approach the Hispanic vote. In PR people tend to be very socially conservative except when it comes to death penalty. It could be fertile ground for GOP but at the beginning it will be a blue state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 11:05 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,997,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andros 1337 View Post
The U.S. Constitution sets a fixed number of seats in the House of Representatives to 435. Using TUBW's estimate, there would only be a net gain of two electoral votes for the Democrats (assuming Puerto Rico becomes a solid blue state and all the states that lose representatives are solid blue states) due to the two additional Senate seats allocated for Puerto Rico. Two electoral votes won't have much of an impact on presidential elections.
Actually the number of seats is fixed by law. It was capped at 435 so you would need to change that law or redistribute the reps. The electorial votes would be control by state law(i.e. the state is given X number, how it allots them is by state law..almost all alot the EC as a whole but two states have a system of spliting the votes(i.e. which ever candidate wins the rep. desitrict wins that vote and the person with most votes gets the remaining 2). It would have more than two as the min number of EC votes is 3.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:14 AM

7,327 posts, read 12,336,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
Actually the number of seats is fixed by law. It was capped at 435 so you would need to change that law or redistribute the reps. The electorial votes would be control by state law(i.e. the state is given X number, how it allots them is by state law..almost all alot the EC as a whole but two states have a system of spliting the votes(i.e. which ever candidate wins the rep. desitrict wins that vote and the person with most votes gets the remaining 2). It would have more than two as the min number of EC votes is 3.
You are misunderstanding. I didn't say that Puerto Rico would have two electoral votes; I said there would only be a net gain of two electoral votes for the Democrats assuming Puerto Rico becomes a solid blue state, as most likely the states that will lose representatives (and thus electoral votes) would be the major solid blue states. That net gain of two electoral votes would come from the two additional senators representing Puerto Rico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories