Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 08:27 AM

666 posts, read 1,287,879 times

Advertisements

So today in the news I read the Miguel Cotto himself decided that Puerto Ricans pay for viewing the fight for tomorrow against Pacquiao while here in the US it will be free.

I dont have a link right now in English but the next link in Spanish for those that may understand explains better:

DACO recibe 117 querellas contra Showtime - El Nuevo Día
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 09:35 AM

355 posts, read 715,667 times
Translated from El Nuevo Dia:

The Department of Consumer Affairs (DACO) has received 117 complaints from people who object to having to pay "pay per view" to see the fight between Miguel Cotto and Austin Trout.

Secretary of DACO, Omar Marrero said that the complaints have continued to arrive "consistently" so do not rule out that number in the afternoon can be much higher.

"To see the fight going to have to pay," said Marrero but that the complaint does academic research since DACO, through the Anti-Discrimination Office Commercial (OADC) Equal Treatment, go ahead.

Cotto explains why pay to see the fight

Marrero said the cable company and TV, Showtime, acquiesced to the jurisdiction of DACO, and responded to the first round of questions put to him. He added that DACO will send a second letter asking for more information and requesting documents to substantiate your initial position.

The decision to charge in Puerto Rico by the transmission of the undercard between Miguel Cotto and Austin Trout is not the Showtime television network and another company co-sponsor of the event, Miguel Cotto Promotions, Showtime spokesman said, adding that the chain has the broadcast rights to the continental United States, but not for the Island

"For Puerto Rico, Miguel Cotto Promotions wanted to do a special event with extended coverage that includes several talented young fighters that the company believes are the future of Puerto Rican boxing," said Showtime spokesman, who declined to be identified, via email.

"This is nothing against Miguel Cotto," said Secretary of DACO, who said it is the first time that the agency encountered a similar situation.

Marrero said consumers can take your complaint through both email and tratoigual@daco.pr.gov DACO Mobile applications for Android phones available in the Google Apps Store, and for Iphone, in his shop, which is available from Monday 26 November.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:47 AM

3,556 posts, read 4,380,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by espizarro View Post
So today in the news I read the Miguel Cotto himself decided that Puerto Ricans pay for viewing the fight for tomorrow against Pacquiao while here in the US it will be free.

I dont have a link right now in English but the next link in Spanish for those that may understand explains better:

DACO recibe 117 querellas contra Showtime - El Nuevo Día
Please! This is news?

I read the article and the comments therein. If anything, this is another example of the freeloader mentality of many people who live on the island. They want everything given to them free of charge, entertainment included. Please!

Hey, if I want to see the fight bad enough, I will pay the damn $45 and enjoy myself. That chump change is not going to bankrupt my account. And for those who feel they cannot pay, then guess what? You will just have to go without watching it! Simple as that!

Oh. . .boo-hoo! ¡Ay bendito! Poor you! How unfair! Maybe the Gov't should establish a new taxpayer funded program to pay PPV events for those who live below the poverty line. ¡Lo unico que falta!

¡Vayense al. . .Caribe Hilton!

Old 11-30-2012, 12:28 PM

7,801 posts, read 10,085,987 times
So this means Alaska and Hawaii would also have to pay to see Cotto fight on TV?

Alot of Puerto Ricans don't understand how businesses operate. For example, they complain that Amazon denies Prime membership free 2 day shipping & Instant Video to Puerto Rico solely because they are Puerto Ricans (ie: racial discrimination) but in reality Hawaii, Alaska, Guam, the Mariana's, etc are also in the same situation. It has nothing to do with being Puerto Rican but rather with the high cost of shipping from the mainland to these islands.

Though in all fairness I believe Amazon Instant Video is available in Hawaii and Alaska so I think that should also be available to the US territories. The shipping issue I can see however so I don't fault Amazon.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
Please! This is news?

I read the article and the comments therein. If anything, this is another example of the freeloader mentality of many people who live on the island. They want everything given to them free of charge, entertainment included. Please!

Hey, if I want to see the fight bad enough, I will pay the damn $45 and enjoy myself. That chump change is not going to bankrupt my account. And for those who feel they cannot pay, then guess what? You will just have to go without watching it! Simple as that!

Oh. . .boo-hoo! ¡Ay bendito! Poor you! How unfair! Maybe the Gov't should establish a new taxpayer funded program to pay PPV events for those who live below the poverty line. ¡Lo unico que falta!

¡Vayense al. . .Caribe Hilton!
This is not the problem, chacho. The problem is that here it will be given free and apparently what has been said is that Miguel Cotto himself approved this, for whatever reasons. I dont think this is fair. After all he would make much more money for the so called development of boxing in the island by PPV here.

Old 11-30-2012, 04:41 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,170,638 times
Quote:
This is not the problem, chacho. The problem is that here it will be given free and apparently what has been said is that Miguel Cotto himself approved this, for whatever reasons. I dont think this is fair. After all he would make much more money for the so called development of boxing in the island by PPV here.
If the problem is Cotto, then why are people complaining to DACO? The CO in DACO stands for consumer, not freeloaders.

Old 11-30-2012, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker7 View Post
If the problem is Cotto, then why are people complaining to DACO? The CO in DACO stands for consumer, not freeloaders.
He did it through his company, Miguel Cotto Promociones. Therefore, the DACO has jurisdiction.

Remember, also, that the complaints began yesterday and it was today Showtime let people know that it was M.C. Promociones the responsible for this.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:28 AM

3,556 posts, read 4,380,197 times
Quote:
Friend, I respectfully disagree with you.

The problem is not what Cotto and company did or did not do. The problem is the prevailing mentality of those on the island who raise their voice in protest simply because something as insignificant as a PPV event was not "given to them free of charge!" That is the real problem here.

Sadly, that is the mindset of "The Many" in today's Puerto Rico. Most people, in the Puerto Rico I was raised in, earned things on their own. They worked hard, hustled, or borrowed (in that order) to get what they wanted or needed. And when things were unattainable, you survived without them.

With regards to "what is fair," well, I am not the least bit concerned about the "fairness" of an insignificant $45 PPV event. Yet, I am very concerned about the UNFAIRNESS of my hard earned tax dollars going to 60% of my fellow Puerto Ricans who prefer to live off of taxpayer handouts versus EARNING a living by working hard, like the rest of humanity.

There is an old adage which says. . ."what is not earned is hardly ever valued." Money which is given (not earned) will most likely be squandered and ill spent. There is no pride or dignity in being the recepient of unearned money. You can't be proud or feel dignified by what you have not earned.

Old 12-01-2012, 12:55 PM
mym

706 posts, read 1,167,729 times
football in america is not ppv

boxing in pr is not ppv

Old 12-01-2012, 09:31 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,170,638 times
Football ≠ Boxing

Also, in the CONUS, local football, baseball, and basketball games are routinely blacked out if the game is local and there are tickets available, in order to entice fans to go to the game. Imagine the uproar if an hypothetical PR NBA team is playing against the Lakers and you can't watch the game on TV because the Choliseo isn't sold out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories