Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 03:36 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,633,586 times

Advertisements

PR has its share of mass-murders, too. Over the past few years, I can think of the massacre at the Sabana Seca bar in Toa Baja - a spree-shooting that left eight dead and 20 wounded. And then the Justino Sanchez Diaz case from last year, where six people were massacred. And there are others from earlier; I can remember a shooting in 1994 where six people were killed. I think the suspect in that case was actually released not long ago, but he immediately got into trouble again, and is in some type of federal prison.

For a population of only 3.7 million, there have been quite a few mass-murders, sad to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 03:51 PM

239 posts, read 877,767 times
If you have concerns about San Juan, try the western side of the island. Slower pace of life, less developed, less crime. I could give you specific suggestions if you're interested. Would be best to rent a car and explore, and I'm confident that you would be safe to do that.

As far as San Juan goes, I wouldn't hesitate to go. You can also ask your hotel staff suggestions for areas to stay away from, but just use tourist common sense and you'll be fine.

Old 12-15-2012, 06:14 PM

355 posts, read 716,846 times
[

Don't feel so quick to trash an area.[/quote]

Irresponsible post, not funny at all.

It would be unfortunate for an unsuspecting visitor to take you at your word.
La Perla is Not Safe for tourists.
La Perla has it's own culture and if you don't belong there there's a price.

La Perla, San Juan, Puerto Rico - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by Sunscape; 03-15-2013 at 02:07 PM..

Old 12-15-2012, 08:57 PM

355 posts, read 716,846 times
Being poor has nothing to do with it. Plenty of poor people in Puerto Rico and most not involved in the gang related drug trade, prostitution and everything else that has plagued La Perla for decades. If you've been in La Perla for a little weekend reggaeton, good for you, bank that poser cred but know that those are staged events, PR public relations from the bureau of tourism. Even the Policia stay out of La Perla.

Old 12-15-2012, 10:15 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,936,058 times
When I visited PR last year, it seemed safe enough, especially Old San Juan. That is the tourist spot in San Juan, and even at night it was packed with tourists. So no one thought it was perilous obviously. I rented a car too, and joyrided around and got lost. I was in the surrounding burbs, and nothing was happening. No one was outside at night.

Then I went the resort area of San Juan. I think it is called Conquistador Ave or something. It is the main street with the beach resorts on one side, and the restaurants and clubs on the other. Traffic was horrendous, and there was no parking. I had to go up the side streets, and saw lots of shabby looking apartments, and people outside with big barrel with fire inside, driving dirt bikes around, barbecueing. Something you see in movies about LA hoods, ghettos or a gangsta rap music vid. But still, they were just outside having a good time. Did not seem like a bad bunch.

And Fajardo, that is where they launch the kayaks to go into the Bio Bay attraction isnt it? That place seemed very safe. The Bio Bay is very popular, and Fajardo has some resorts, and lots of restaurants and bars. Many people were out and about.

Old 12-16-2012, 05:58 PM
mym

706 posts, read 1,170,583 times
be careful on the condado beach / ocean park at night. this is truth. it is a gay man cruising spot and for whatever reason that attracts violent types out to bash a homosexual.

condado area is also home to scammers who will claim they were mugged and need money to get back to the hotel or whatever. they will be american. i bet you 5$ you will meet one in the walgreens pharmacy on condado avenue if you are there at night often enough.

la perla - there is nothing there for you but i agree that it is safer than you'd think. it is a drug market, no point in shooting up the customers - ironically (or is it paradoxically?) you are safest where the drugs are dealt. dont go wandering off exploring.

on the other hand it is home to the only garita that doesnt smell of **** - la garita del diablo. dont go there please. that would be wandering out of the 'safe zone' of the drug market.

plenty of people go every year and enjoy themselves tremendously. you will too.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:57 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,062,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mym View Post
la perla - there is nothing there for you but i agree that it is safer than you'd think. it is a drug market, no point in shooting up the customers - ironically (or is it paradoxically?) you are safest where the drugs are dealt. dont go wandering off exploring.
There are *some* americans including women that live there. People also overlook all the culture festivities that go on there.

What makes la perla more dangerous than boys town (zona rosa) in Nuevo Laredo or the red light district (zona norte) in Tijuana? All are gang controlled, all are places for drugs and prostitutes. But both are huge draws for Americans where la Perla is still being discovered. La Perla has one advantage over those two places as it has some genuine culture instead of just sleaze,sex and drugs.

Old 12-17-2012, 11:30 AM
mym

706 posts, read 1,170,583 times
Ismael Rivera - La Perla

Ismael Rivera - La Perla - YouTube

Old 12-28-2012, 07:41 AM

529 posts, read 1,086,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinchy View Post
I am going to San Juan in January or February for vacation. When I mentioned this to a few friends they made suggestions that I reconsider going because the city isn't safe. I had not heard this previously and wanted to get other opinions. So, is San Juan generally safe for tourists? Any suggestions or places to avoid and any attractions I can't miss? Thanks!
San Juan surely has a bad rap. Has anyone read the NY Post lately? Front page news consist of shoot outs, murders, rapes. you name it, and yesterday a second person in a month was pushed on to an oncoming subway train. That doesnt stop tourists from going to NY or using the subway, does it?. Yes there is crime on the island but more than 50% are shoot outs for drug turf in the housing projects. Another 30% are domestic disputes of all sorts, like husband catching the wife with he milkman, or some drunken guy defending their macho honor after being call a "Pato', (Gay). Most crime is concentrated within the seedy areas, or the so called "marginal classes", like in NY Chicago or Detroit.

Yes there are muggings of tourists and regular folks like there are in New Orleans, New York or Chicago. I don't see anyone not going to these cities because of the crime.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:59 AM

19 posts, read 64,472 times
I never feel safe in Puerto Rico. My friends and husband won't let me walk to dogs alone after dark, or really early in the morning. Not to mention a lot of the city smells really bad. I would go to the other sides of the island if I were you. Or, even better, the Virgin Islands...

Earlier last month, there was a huge festival and there were thousands of people on the street. Didn't matter, some guys pulled out a gun and shot another guy in the face, right in the middle of the crowd. And no one ever found him.

The police are not very helpful, many of them are corrupt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories