Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 03:50 PM

43 posts, read 152,874 times

Advertisements

Gun laws:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/usvirginislands.pdf

V.I. codes (laws):

LexisNexis® Custom Solution: Virgin Islands Code Unannotated Research Tool
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidFluoride View Post
Well I just got offered the position in St Croix...

now I'm thinking about warm weather again... grr....

So I've been on island 3 months; the weather is fantastic, the cost of living is about the same as alaska was, the beaches are amazing & the people are very nice & polite.

The economy is a bit rough but I have a good job so I'm one of the lucky ones I suppose.

I think a PMV would have been a good idea but I can't complain about how things have gone so far, I'm very happy with this move & am currently house shopping (the housing market is very kind to buyers currently )

Old 06-02-2013, 10:49 PM

8 posts, read 28,328 times
Myself and my 18 year old daughter are hoping to move to STX by August. All of these posts have been really helpful!

We are looking to Christianste.... Any opinions or tidbits would be great!

Old 06-03-2013, 02:45 PM

8 posts, read 28,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidFluoride View Post
So I've been on island 3 months; the weather is fantastic, the cost of living is about the same as alaska was, the beaches are amazing & the people are very nice & polite.

The economy is a bit rough but I have a good job so I'm one of the lucky ones I suppose.

I think a PMV would have been a good idea but I can't complain about how things have gone so far, I'm very happy with this move & am currently house shopping (the housing market is very kind to buyers currently )
That's great news. I'm hoping for the same thing. You live in St. Croix?

Old 06-04-2013, 05:50 PM

I'm renting above fredricksted currently & looking to buy a place out west.

Christiansted is the major population center here on the island & has a much different feel than the west end of the island, I'm not overly familiar with C'sted other than my visits to the board walk there & resteraunts etc.

August is "hurricane season" (though only two major storms, Hugo in 1989 and marylin in 1995, have ever hit the island) and this year is suppose to be a stormy one; which I expect will just be more rain.

From what locals tell me the temps don't get too far into the 90's during summer so that's nice.

If you have any specific questions let me know

Old 07-08-2013, 02:54 PM

51 posts, read 82,693 times
Talking Moving in September

This thread has been very helpful - thank you to all who have posted links and updates and information.

I want to move to the VI in September, but have never been before. I travel fairly frequently, I've lived in a handful of places the last 8 years (from Tibet, Beijing, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Manhattan, St. Louis, Tokyo, Honolulu, and currently California) and it's just that time again for me to try some place new.

I'm just wondering the basics: money isn't a huge issue, I've lived in hotels for almost 3 years and eaten out a majority of that time (don't tell me about what it's done to my health, oy). I just want to be comfortable and not ripped off. Housing was a major issue in Hawaii because it's so corrupt...how can I avoid that in the islands? Can I even? Or would I be looking at living in a hotel as well, to save me the headache?

STX seems to be the hub, right? St. John the ritzy/honeymoon area and STT....(I don't even know)? Is that correct? If budget isn't too much of an issue, just safety and not being too isolated (anyone familiar with the North Shore of Oahu, that wasn't my scene. Toooo quiet to live year round. I like a little bit of hustle/bustle, but dry, warm weather and close to the beach).

Anyway, I'll be traveling super light, willing to stay in a hotel for a month to get adjusted, but would really appreciate some insight from people living there: which are the sketchy neighborhoods, average rental prices, do places come furnished, what are the touristy areas, is it xenophobic, do you need a car, etc.

Apologies for the lengthy post, just trying not to be too "I want to move! What do I do?" Oh yes, on a random note: I found ticketing for $320 from NorCal (one way). Does that sound like a good deal? :-p Thank you in advance, everyone...

Old 07-08-2013, 03:20 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,657,286 times
St Thomas is the commercial hub; the majority of St John is National Park so far less commercialized. St Thomas and St John are very close to each other and to the British Virgin Islands, are volcanic islands with mountainous steep terrain. St Croix is not volcanic and is much flatter, more agriculture, much more rural. It's 40 nautical miles distant from St Thomas and there are no islands close by for hopping by ferry.

Suggest you go to the VI Moving Center website where you'll find a ton of information pertaining to moving to and living in the USVI.

By the way we haven't seen a major hurricane since 1995 but be forewarned that September is the prime month of hurricane season.

Old 07-08-2013, 03:56 PM

Thanks, I will check out that site! How is St. Thomas economically? I thought I've read that it's impoverished?

Old 07-08-2013, 04:13 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,657,286 times
Hardly!

Old 07-08-2013, 04:26 PM

Oh, that's good to know. The handful of people I've mentioned my plans to have immediately said: isn't it poor there? Be careful. And after reading around I've seen people mention racial tensions, crime, unemployment issues from some plant/factory closing, (so increased frustrations as a result) and I wasn't sure which areas really are an issue. And I'm not sure if the posts are up-to-date either...things change...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories