Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2013, 11:13 AM

189 posts, read 309,379 times

Advertisements

I was wondering how taxis operated and were regulated in the US Virgin Islands, and how lucrative a job that was in tourist areas.

For example, in the mainland US, I'd say the average driver leases their car for a 12 hour shift from a fleet operator that maintains the cars, provides insurance, and a dispatching service. The driver is otherwise self employed and has to buy their own gas. Whatever money they make in that 12 hours is sort of random, though with experience a driver can usually count on raking in a certain amount in that 12 hours. For example, decades ago when I moonlighted for a local cab company on weekends, I could usually count on making around $100 per shift.

Job requirements vary by location but usually include having a valid driver's license, good driving record, pass a police background check, and obtain a local taxi driver's license by paying a fee and taking an exam that tests knowledge of the city in which they will be driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 09:18 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,682,675 times
The taxis are privately owned by locals, are licensed, and the fares are regulated by the VI Taxicab Commission. If you were thinking of running a taxi here it's impossible for anyone other than a knowledgeable local to operate here. The island roads aren't well marked and it takes years to find your way around sufficiently to transport passengers. There's a lot more involved but that's it in a nutshell if you were thinking along those lines!

Old 01-26-2013, 07:32 AM

1,453 posts, read 2,202,439 times
This is a real bad idea for a multitude of reasons that I won't delve into, but the previous poster can guess where it would go. It's "impossible for anyone but a knowledgeable local to operate here" does not mean you won't be able to find your way around the island, but rather means that you will not get a taxi medallion, nor will you be allowed to drive a taxi by the powerful "local" taxi driver's lobby. Any time there is money involved, they want all of it and do not want to share, and are a sufficiently sized voting block to prevent competition or new people entering the business. I know quite a few taxi drivers, and the only ones "from away" spent years developing "connections" and end up getting leased someone else's buggy at ridiculous expense. I know one very hard working lady from the DR that makes about minimum wage and works 7 days a week every opportunity she gets. And the guy that owns the safari (someone else owns the medallion) gets the lion's share of the fares. Cash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories