Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 06:39 AM

25,040 posts, read 27,797,751 times

Advertisements

Ok, been trying to find information on these two territories of ours, concerning their travel requirements. Been finding conflicting information so I might as well just ask on here.

I'm from Puerto Rico and I don't need a passport to travel between the 50 states, PR, and the USVI. However, do Americans need a passport to fly to Guam or the NMI, assuming that you do not arrive at any foreign ports of entry such as Cairns or Brisbane?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 08:52 AM

I know this topic isn't the usual "similarities between PR and the USA", "racial relations in the US territories" and other low information topics, but come on, no bite?

Old 03-25-2013, 09:55 AM

7,801 posts, read 10,061,033 times
Sorry for the delay, I was out with family yesterday.

Guam and the NMI are both outside the US Customs Zone and thus I believe that you would indeed need a passport. However, I believe they are both in the process of integrating into the Customs Zone so this requirement may be reaching it's final days.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:02 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,563,639 times
Actually as much as I can glean from the internet, to enter Guam, all you need is a drivers' license if you don't go through any foreign countries. That limits you to travel through Honolulu and I believe that the only airline with direct to Guam service from HNL is United. I've got a pm in to a friend of mine who lives on Guam and will report back what he tells me.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:29 PM

76 posts, read 215,586 times
When I moved to Guam back in the mid-90's no passport was needed. You simply flashed your state driver's license and that was it.

I don't know if it's changed since then.

Tamuning Bay, Guam. The question is - can you handle it?

Old 03-26-2013, 11:23 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,563,639 times
Ok, this from United Airlines which checked with a U.S. govt site for me:

A passport is required, however there is an exemption for U.S. citizens arriving directly from the mainland, Alaska, Hawaii or NMI. In those cases, only a drivers' license is required.

So, if the plane comes directly from Honolulu (the only passenger flight I know that doesn't touch down on foreign soil before arriving in Guam) you can travel without a passport. The caveat here is, if there is any problems and you touch down on one of the islands of the Federated States of Micronesia, you'll have a problem if you don't have a passport.

Bottom line in my opinion is get a passport and don't tempt fate

Old 03-27-2013, 07:58 PM

Thanks for the responses, guys looks like my question has been answered
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randolf Kendall View Post
When I moved to Guam back in the mid-90's no passport was needed. You simply flashed your state driver's license and that was it.

I don't know if it's changed since then.

Tamuning Bay, Guam. The question is - can you handle it?
I'm from the Caribbean, so I think I can handle it just fine

Old 03-29-2013, 07:32 PM

33 posts, read 174,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Thanks for the responses, guys looks like my question has been answered

I'm from the Caribbean, so I think I can handle it just fine
JohnInVegas has a good point about travel to Guam. I had to show my passport when I traveled there...that's because I came from another assignment in Japan. But it is correct that if you are coming direct from the U.S., or any of its territories...logic dictates you don't need a visa. However, as JohnInVegas pointed out...Guam is so far out there surrounded by foreign nations that you might as well get a passport. Should an urgent situation arise while enroute and the aircraft you're in would have to make an unscheduled landing say in Taiwan or Okinawa you may end up getting stuck inside the aircraft or confined in a secured area at the terminal because you didn't have a passport. Who knows how long your flight is going to be stuck there.
Play it safe...get a passport anytime you're traveling outside the Continental U.S. or Hawaii.

Old 03-31-2013, 01:39 AM

2,088 posts, read 1,945,099 times
I lived in the CNMI until a year and a half ago. They do not check your passport when you land in Guam from HNL. They do, however, check your passport before you get on the flight from Guam back to HNL. I think you can get on if you have other proof of citizenship (certified birth certificate AND state driver's license). So unless you want to bring a certified copy of your birth certificate, or not return to the US or another country, it would be wise to have a passport.

If you go to the CNMI, you will need a passport unless you don't intend on ever leaving again. Even when patients get med-evaced to the mainland, they have to wait to get a passport before going. You can't even go to Guam from the CNMI without a passport. The reason is is that there is a special visa waver program for the CNMI, where people from China and Russia can go for vacation without having to get a visa. Since these people have no authorization to enter any other part of the US, they make everyone go through immigration when arriving from the CNMI.

Last edited by Texamichiforniasota; 03-31-2013 at 02:14 AM..

Old 09-03-2013, 10:49 AM

1 posts, read 4,665 times
I'm from Saipan. I currently live in the mainland. When traveling United through Honolulu and Guam, I've never used a passport. Same goes when coming back into the mainland. Unless you're taking the Delta route and going through Japan then you'd need a passport. It's the same as traveling within the 50 states. It's like that with everyone I know that takes the Honolulu-Guam route. Now-a-days most travelers go through Japan because of the fare rates. It's almost half off what United offers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories