Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 10:22 AM

3,555 posts, read 4,368,437 times

Advertisements

On a foggy Saturday morning around 7am, I drove my daughters to a nearby soccer field for their pre-game warmups. After droping them off at the field, I walked back to my car. In the foggy parking lot I noticed a guy standing near my car. The closer I got the more visible his emblems became. He sported a ballcap with the Puerto Rican flag emblazoned over the brim. His black jacket had the Puerto Rican flag drapped over his heart. He wore a neck chain with . . . THE PUERTO RICAN FLAG!

I got close to this obviously Puerto Rican guy and, with a smile, I said to him, "Oye, ¿tu seras Boricua de verdad?" His response: "Uhm . . . excuse me?"

The guy explained that his grandfather was Puerto Rican and that he spoke no Spanish.

Last edited by Sunscape; 06-02-2013 at 05:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 02:25 PM

7,801 posts, read 10,067,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
On a foggy Saturday morning around 7am, I drove my daughters to a nearby soccer field for their pre-game warmups. After droping them off at the field, I walked back to my car. In the foggy parking lot I noticed a guy standing near my car. The closer I got the more visible his emblems became. He sported a ballcap with the Puerto Rican flag emblazoned over the brim. His black jacket had the Puerto Rican flag drapped over his heart. He wore a neck chain with . . . THE PUERTO RICAN FLAG!

I got close to this obviously Puerto Rican guy and, with a smile, I said to him, "Oye, ¿tu seras Boricua de verdad?" His response: "Uhm . . . excuse me?"

The guy explained that his grandfather was Puerto Rican and that he spoke no Spanish.

In my mind, and in a very Puerto Rican way, all I could hear myself say was "¡Me c_go en tu madre!"
Everytime you tell this story on here I burst out laughing. It cracks me up every time ... because we have all met at least one of these "Yo soy Boricua, but I can't even speak Spanish types".

Sadly, the second Sunday in June is fast approaching and these clowns will be out in force and the good name of Puerto Rico and the Puerto Rican people will be dragged though the mud

Old 05-30-2013, 06:14 PM

25,024 posts, read 27,816,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Everytime you tell this story on here I burst out laughing. It cracks me up every time ... because we have all met at least one of these "Yo soy Boricua, but I can't even speak Spanish types".

Sadly, the second Sunday in June is fast approaching and these clowns will be out in force and the good name of Puerto Rico and the Puerto Rican people will be dragged though the mud
Oh great, I can't wait

Old 06-02-2013, 05:04 PM

2,807 posts, read 6,403,461 times
Quote:

They're not different to the "I'm Italian" or "I'm Irish" types.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:10 PM

7,801 posts, read 10,067,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
They're not different to the "I'm Italian" or "I'm Irish" types.
I have often referred to them as "Plastic Boricuas" as a play on the "Plastic Paddy" term

Old 06-12-2013, 12:06 AM

199 posts, read 363,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewTexico76 View Post
In the 1990s, I was a military dependent and finished high school in central Florida. I was excited at first as many of the students were Puerto Rican, and I am New Mexican Hispano (not a recent Mexican American). After being the only Hispanic/Latino student in a couple of places, and coming from a background with a superficially similar history I thought it would be welcoming.

Boy was I wrong!

The Puerto Ricans really rubbed me the wrong way, and I never made sense to them, not because I was another kind of Latino so much. That sort of hate was reserved to Dominicans, who were trash to these kids (and seemed to be singled out as being black, poor, and "stupid"). I was constantly asked if "I was really Spanish or white" (a question that made no sense to me, they are both white!). Or told "I am not "Spanish. I act white." My response was always "so you're from Madrid or Barcelona?"

These kids only listened to rap/black American music, or maybe merengue, but saw any Latino who liked rock or "white music" (even if not really white) as a "sell out." Even if they spoke Spanish, they emulated African-American culture, and clothes, and liked to call each other the n-word (which I refuse to use), and so on.

The other side to this, which was confusing as hell, is that these kids never saw themselves as "black" and if darker-skinned, would never consider themselves as such - if light skinned - would go out of their way to bash "gringos" to prove they were Puerto Rican, and so forth. They didn't have much to do with black or white Americans, but the emulated everything black or hip-hop - but not what I'd consider "quality" hip hop. (Mainy crappy "party bass" junk).

Anyway, for a while, I had a very negative view of Puerto Rican - excuse me "Spanish" kids, and for a long time, avoided any like the plague. I thought they were racist and ignorant. However; in college, I met Puerto Ricans with very different attitudes, who spoke much better Spanish, and a wider diversity of beliefs on music and culture. I suppose the kids I encountered in school were a very distinct subset? Maybe from a specific community, region, or generation? My impression was that they were migrants from Puerto Rico, though some came by way of New York/New Jersey.

Would this now be the reggaeton crowd?
Sooo, now you know the difference between neoricans, (those of Puerto Rican descent living in the U.S. who have "assimilated" into what passes for American popular culture to the point where they are utterly confused), and Puerto Rican college students in the U.S. (young folks FROM Puerto Rico who refuse to bastardize their cultural identity while at the same time expanding their worldview). This is why I never allowed my kids to butcher either language with Spanglish or to forget their Puerto Rican history, folklore or cuisine when they grew up in the 'states, nor did I attempt to insulate them from the better North American values, either.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:18 AM

199 posts, read 363,953 times
Default Vergüenza Ajena

Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post

LOL. Folks, give this story a thumbs up if you wouldn't want to be THAT guy...eso se llama parecerse a la puerca de Juan Bobo en mi pueblo.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:48 PM

59 posts, read 97,039 times
Quote:

Many island Puerto Ricans think that mainland Puerto Ricans are an embarrassment and give them a bad name.
QFT

Old 06-19-2013, 10:17 AM

1,546 posts, read 3,003,784 times
To be honest, I'm sick and tired of islanders making some kind of massive distinction between themselves and Puerto Ricans on the mainland. Seriously? They are you, so deal with it. There is a huge back and forth migration cycle going on, and there's no way to separate the two any longer, it just doesn't work like that anymore. I've met plenty of amazing Puerto Ricans in the States, and plenty of trashy people on the island.

If you want to be "ashamed" of the Spanish that Ricans speak in the States, let's not go there, because in that same respect, you should be "ashamed" of the Spanish on the island. Think of what people from other countries say about the way you talk. It's not very nice is it? So don't duplicate it, There's no such thing as right or wrong language, it only reflects where you come from and what you've been exposed to. So let's not start with that.

Old 06-21-2013, 05:36 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,313,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
To be honest, I'm sick and tired of islanders making some kind of massive distinction between themselves and Puerto Ricans on the mainland. Seriously? They are you, so deal with it..
Well, your right. This happens often and not just with Puerto Ricans. Alot of other latinos tend to look down on those that migrate to the states. They say, solo la chusma se va para los estado unidos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories