Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2013, 10:13 AM

8,632 posts, read 12,990,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillystress215 View Post
Look harder. There are goodlooking people of every race and background everywhere. This PR girls is from Williboro NJ of all places.
I don't know what "Trucker7" was thinking when he made that comment.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:24 AM

199 posts, read 365,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Puerto Rico has the highest obesity rate in the entire United States! Grossly obese women on the island are like a dime a dozen, it's quite sad.
You must have never heard of the Deep South (AKA the Stroke Belt). When I lived in GA I would see women in GA and SC drive up to the handicap or preggie spaces at department store parking lots (trust me, they were neither) in their SUVs and pickup trucks, waddle up to the electric buggies and I kid you not, when they sat down half of each butt cheek would hang over the left and right edges of the seat. It was freaky, like they were going to swallow the carts with their posteriors. When they sat the wattles of fat around their midsections looked like they could shoplift loads of small goods in the creases; and these were no old gals, either. I'd glance at them and see buried in those seal necks faces no more than 25 to 35 years old. I can't imagine how much pulled-pork BBQ, southern-style potato salad and sweet potato pie was packed into each of those massive mammaries, either. But you know what the most trepidatious thing about watching them was? The terrifying sweatpants with "JUICY", "DIVINE" or "SCRUMPTIOUS" written across the back...*shudder.*

Old 07-13-2013, 09:20 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,336,151 times
Juan Carlos Martínez Cruzado a Harvard graduate and a Professor of Genetics at the University of Puerto Rico, Mayagüez Campus has sudied the DNA of Puerto Ricans.

The results of the analyses of approximately 300 of these samples identify 62% as Amerindian, 30% as African blacks and 8% Caucasian.

This matches the visual impression one sees in the island. Where only a minority look European and where most people are of olive skin (trigueño). Unless you look in the upper class where most of the 8% lives. Unless you look at the Nuyorican population where the percent of African DNA is much higher.

In the 2010 census 76% of Puerto Ricans saw themselves as white and 24% feel they are non-white. This does not match the results of the DNA studies. The reason is simple: IN PR there was no obsession with race as you saw in USA or South Africa. For practical purposes if someone was not clearly an African it was described as white. That means that a trigueño with non-african hair is classified as white.

The USA classification of white has to do with the so-called last drop of blood. In other words extreme purity was essential, but even this escaped the detection of former black people that started to classify themselves as white after mixing continuously with white generation after generation.

In any event only a tiny percent of islanders see themselves as black (despite recent Nuyorican influence and back migration).

Old 07-13-2013, 02:00 PM

25 posts, read 194,918 times
There is an extremely high percentage of attractive women in puerto rico. Even alot of the older women are hot. To deny this is blasphemy. Blasphemy!

Old 07-14-2013, 04:01 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,175,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Juan Carlos Martínez Cruzado a Harvard graduate and a Professor of Genetics at the University of Puerto Rico, Mayagüez Campus has sudied the DNA of Puerto Ricans.

The results of the analyses of approximately 300 of these samples identify 62% as Amerindian, 30% as African blacks and 8% Caucasian.
That's just on the maternal line. The paternal line shows the oposite:
Quote:
"Our samples for the Y chromosome were almost exactly reversed," he said. About 70% of the Y chromosomes in his 800 samples showed European traits, 20% African and 10% Indian. According to the professor, the European dominance among male genes makes perfect sense. Most of the early European settlers in Puerto Rico were men, and many intermarried or had children with Indian women, and later with female African slaves.
Read more: PUERTO RICAN GENE POOL RUNS DEEP - NY Daily News
Spain aggressively encouraged European immigration to PR and Cuba in the 1800's, via the Royal Decree of Graces of 1815. Any European that pledged allegiance to the Spanish Crown could get free land in PR. Moreover, it was actually cheaper to import poor whites for labor than African slaves. Plantation owners would pay the fare from Spain to PR to a poor white family, but they had to agree to work in the plantation for 7 years. The worker would keep a journal that prevented him from working for another person until his 7 years were up. However, most being illiterate, the plantation owner could write in the journal that the worker still hadn't paid his debts, even after the 7 years were up. The worker was only paid a measly salary and he had to take care of his family by himself.

On the other hand, Spanish law required that slaves be provided with housing, food, clothing, healthcare, and a Christian education. From a pure economical standpoint, it was cheaper to bring white labor than to buy slaves. There's a reason why emancipation in PR happened peacefully.

Old 07-14-2013, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker7 View Post
That's just on the maternal line. The paternal line shows the oposite:
Spain aggressively encouraged European immigration to PR and Cuba in the 1800's, via the Royal Decree of Graces of 1815. Any European that pledged allegiance to the Spanish Crown could get free land in PR. Moreover, it was actually cheaper to import poor whites for labor than African slaves. Plantation owners would pay the fare from Spain to PR to a poor white family, but they had to agree to work in the plantation for 7 years. The worker would keep a journal that prevented him from working for another person until his 7 years were up. However, most being illiterate, the plantation owner could write in the journal that the worker still hadn't paid his debts, even after the 7 years were up. The worker was only paid a measly salary and he had to take care of his family by himself.

On the other hand, Spanish law required that slaves be provided with housing, food, clothing, healthcare, and a Christian education. From a pure economical standpoint, it was cheaper to bring white labor than to buy slaves. There's a reason why emancipation in PR happened peacefully.
This 19th century European migration probably changed the racial composition of the island quite a bit. Perhaps PR and Cuba would have been much closer to the Dominican Republic.

Despite what you say, one still sees much more poverty among the dark skin folks than those with European features. I suspect the Europeans had a different set of values.

I agree with the paternal line and it makes sense. Many criollo offspring went back to Spain to further enhanced the Spanish Heinz 57 brand.

Old 07-14-2013, 10:46 PM

10,056 posts, read 14,929,390 times
Quote:
This 19th century European migration probably changed the racial composition of the island quite a bit. Perhaps PR and Cuba would have been much closer to the Dominican Republic.
I think you are right. Also Argentina would had been much more similar to Dominican Republic had it not been flooded with so many Spaniard and Italian immigrants. Many people don't know that Argentina had a mulatto majority for all of its colonial history and much of its initial years as an independent country.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
I think you are right. Also Argentina would had been much more similar to Dominican Republic had it not been flooded with so many Spaniard and Italian immigrants. Many people don't know that Argentina had a mulatto majority for all of its colonial history and much of its initial years as an independent country.
I believe there is residual indigenous DNA in Argentina, but they had a massive European migration, much more pronounced than in most Latin countries. I don't believe there are blacks in Argentina. However, there are some blacks in Uruguay.

I think DR missed the Canary Island and Corsican migration because they were a republic by that time. UIf I am not mistaken Spain only had Cuba and PR left.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:52 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,375,727 times
Yes, Puerto Rican women are incredibly beautiful. As one poster said, even the older woman are very attractive. Beautiful facial features and hair. Plenty of curves, beautiful skin, passionate. I love these beauties.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:34 AM

10,056 posts, read 14,929,390 times
Quote:
I believe there is residual indigenous DNA in Argentina, but they had a massive European migration, much more pronounced than in most Latin countries. I don't believe there are blacks in Argentina. However, there are some blacks in Uruguay.
Most of Argentina's black and mulatto men died in a war that they had. It wasn't a race-based war, but that community took a major hit. The remaining black and mulatto women paired with the newly arrived Spaniard and Italian men and every subsequent generation married with more whites and this caused the whitening of the non-white Argentinian population, especially in the Buenos Aires area. There are some mulattoes in Argentina, but they are almost invincible to the average person due to their low numbers and low profile.

The mulattoes of Uruguay are also afflicted by low numbers, but their profile is quite high because their government there gives them some sort of promotion, at least people there are taught that they have many African influences in their culture and that this mulatto population still exist.

I don't think the Argentinian government does something similar. It seems to me that Argentina has a history of hiding their Afro-descended population by creating the image that Argentinians are all descendants of Spaniards and Italians. Even the Indigenous population of Argentina was quite invincible for many people there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658
I think DR missed the Canary Island and Corsican migration because they were a republic by that time. UIf I am not mistaken Spain only had Cuba and PR left.
DR never received large numbers of Corsican, most of the French blood there arrived via Haiti during the Haitian Revolution and the ones that managed to flee from that by traveling to the eastern part of the island. There were probably some Corsicans there, but most were probably from mainland France.

The DR did received a large number of Canary Islanders, mostly in the 1600s and 1700s. The European component in the average Dominican (remember that most are mulattoes) is for the most part of Canary Island origin and much of the rest is of Andalucian, with small numbers having French, Italian, and German in their mix.

But there was not much European migration to that island after the Haitian Revolution took place and the many invasions the Haitian did on the Dominicans. At the end of the 1800s, when the DR was already independent, the white population grew due to a rise in white immigration, mostly Italians and Lebanese. There was also a relatively large migration of Puerto Ricans, but many were mulattoes and a minority were white. They also received a wave Cubans during Cuba's 10 Years War, most were white.

In the Trujillo dictatorship years some 6,000 whites moved to that country too, most were Spaniards and some German/Austrian Jews. Trujillo also invited Hungarians, but as soon as they arrived a small petty crime wave was felt in Ciudad Trujillo (Santo Domingo) and Trujillo himself ordered the mass deportation of almost all Hungarians and as soon as that was done, the petty crime wave ended.

That's all I know about white migration to DR. Most of it arrived between 1600 and 1799, a large number of them left in the first half of the 1800s due to the Haitian Invasions, some more arrived in the late 1800s and a small number in the mid-20th Century. But most of the whites there were of Canary Island origin and they mixed quite freely with the local population, so most of their blood is still present but in the mixed race population.

Most Dominican towns north and south of their Cordillera Central were actually re-settled, and many were initially settled, by migrants from the Canary Island.

This is all based on what people have told me, but I've done some research into this and so far, what I have discovered does matches up to what I have been told.

Puerto Rico and Cuba received massive white immigration in the late 1800s while the DR did not. Puerto Rico and Cuba also received large Canary Island immigration during the 1600s and 1700s along with the DR, but what caused the shift in the composition of Puerto Ricans compared to Dominicans was the massive number of whites that arrived in the mid to late 1800s.

Last edited by AntonioR; 07-15-2013 at 10:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.