Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 07:58 PM

10,058 posts, read 14,929,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unPescador View Post
I would expect that given enough time, the world would be mocha and this discussion would end...
I often hear people say this, but I don't believe it.

Most countries are simply not seeing a massive number of immigrants. The few that are seeing large immigration waves, much is from neighboring countries. Sometimes neighboring countries tend to have quite distinct looking majorities from the country they are migrating to, but more often than not the differences are minimal (cultural differences tend to be much greater, though).

Also, people of different races are not really mixing in most countries. Outside Latin America, the majority of the population of any given country are quite homogenous and they are not homogenous in the "mixed race majority" sense. The lack of mixing is mostly due to lack of opportunities for mixing to take place.

People often notice how demographics are changing in certain regions of the USA and in Europe, and assume that's what's going on all over the world. The reality is quite different. Most countries are not like the USA, Spain, France or Britain; but more like Haiti, China, Japan, and India. In other words, another century will pass and the population of most countries will look if not the same then quite similar to what they look like right now.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:53 PM

355 posts, read 716,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
People often notice how demographics are changing in certain regions of the USA and in Europe, and assume that's what's going on all over the world. The reality is quite different. Most countries are not like the USA, Spain, France or Britain; but more like Haiti, China, Japan, and India. In other words, another century will pass and the population of most countries will look if not the same then quite similar to what they look like right now.
For the most part I do agree with you. My mocha example is idealistic. Human nature is today, what's it's been for a millennia and it will take another for real progress. A hundred years is nothing in human social development but one has to admit in the last one hundred years great gains have been made.

Old 08-23-2013, 03:57 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,167,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay_jay12 View Post
I'm from the island of PR, and we have all being taught that we are a even blend of black, white and indigenous. However, in the past three years I've been doing extensive research about my ancestry. I was very shocked to found out about my results, because I would had never thought that my ancestry was completely European.

On my mom's side of the family, it's Italian, Dutch, Catalan, Irish, and Welsh; they changed their names when came to PR in the mid 1800's to sound more local.

On my dad's side, is Basque, Galician, and Scottish; they arrived in the early to mid 1800's. His dad's side is from PR, but his mother is a Mexican from New Mexico (my grandma is not one of those "brown" Mexicans).
Few people, if anyone, of Puerto Rican ancestry is a perfect tri-racial blend. That concept is way too simple for the new world.

Most Puerto Ricans are predominantly European ancestry with various mixtures.

Puerto Rico was and still is a melting pot. Spaniards, Lebanese, Chinese, West Africans, Italians, Greeks, French, Irish, Maltese, Germans, Moroccans, are only a sample of the populations represented.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:37 AM

529 posts, read 1,086,395 times
Regular Americans are not considered the most enlightened people on this planet, just look at who they wanted as vice president, Sarah Palin! George Bush wasn't a rocket scientist either. As White Americans feel they're becoming a minority , surrounded by a sea of non-whites, they are going to get more irrational about who is white and who isn't, so GET READY!.

We might also think this is a passing phase but no group who's been in powder for centuries has ever given up power to people whom they consider inferior.

That's the rush to keep Blacks from voting, making it more difficult. Hispanics aren't too far behind.

Statehood for Puerto Rico? Not in our life time!

Old 08-23-2013, 09:04 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,102,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clip314 View Post
Regular Americans are not considered the most enlightened people on this planet, just look at who they wanted as vice president, Sarah Palin! George Bush wasn't a rocket scientist either. As White Americans feel they're becoming a minority , surrounded by a sea of non-whites, they are going to get more irrational about who is white and who isn't, so GET READY!.

We might also think this is a passing phase but no group who's been in powder for centuries has ever given up power to people whom they consider inferior.

That's the rush to keep Blacks from voting, making it more difficult. Hispanics aren't too far behind.

Statehood for Puerto Rico? Not in our life time!
You vote for the Pava right?

I am as conservative Republican Anglo Whitey as it gets and I don't care about language or skin color. I care about values and beliefs.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:23 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,336,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post

Puerto Rico was and still is a melting pot. Spaniards, Lebanese, Chinese, West Africans, Italians, Greeks, French, Irish, Maltese, Germans, Moroccans, are only a sample of the populations represented.
You left out the second most important group: The Corsicans. There is even an entire town full of Corsican descent people.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:10 PM

529 posts, read 1,086,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
You vote for the Pava right?

I am as conservative Republican Anglo Whitey as it gets and I don't care about language or skin color. I care about values and beliefs.
Good for you WIHS however you don't live in a vacuum. I too don't care about language or skin color but that's very simplistic. Its not what you as an individual cares about on your own, its what your right wing party believes, and as of today, 2013, the GOP is far from what your feelings are.

You might be very sincere, like Oreo cookies are, but they aren't accepted no matter how hard they try. They could bang their heads on a concrete wall a hundred times but ...........nobody notices. If Marco Rubio is a whitey like you, then why did a liberal like Chris Matthews refer to him as non-white? Where does that leave you with the rabid conservatives of the GOP? I bet your conservatism is more like European Conservatism, which to almost any body in the GOP today is Communism.

Old 08-23-2013, 02:45 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,175,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clip314 View Post
How are they keeping blacks from voting? The only thing that they're trying to pass is voter ID. You know, like Puerto Rico has had for the last 30 years. Actually, not as strict as PR's. Here in Pennsylvania they passed a law allowing you to present ANY government issued ID to vote, unlike PR where you need a special ID from the Elections Commission. Still, the Democrats keep implying that Hispanics and blacks are too stupid to get an ID. Now, that's insulting.

Old 08-25-2013, 02:08 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,487,879 times
That's cool but I know what Puerto Rico is. It's a triracial predominantly European country.

Old 08-25-2013, 05:21 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,661,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruhms View Post
That's cool but I know what Puerto Rico is. It's a triracial predominantly European TERRITORY OF THE UNITED STATES
FTFY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories