Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 05:28 PM

107 posts, read 301,388 times

Advertisements

Living Abroad...Live Your Dreams! - YouTube Another youtube video of interest based on this topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2013, 05:05 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,695,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDude826 View Post
We are NOTHING alike Nuyoricans,
Many Puerto Ricans from Puerto Ricans talk bad about Nuyoricans (Puerto Ricans from New York). By saying they are nothing alike. I can agree on this to a certain extent. Because Puerto Ricans from here dress and act different. Over here we are more americanized. However, I always get vexed because we are made up of the same things as in Puerto Rico. Heck, we are still Puerto Ricans. We are made up of Blacks (Africans), Whites (Spaniards), and Indians (Taino). Most of the people that say negative things about Nuyoricans are the people that have never been to New York City. Moreover, in Puerto Rico many younger folks listen to Reggaeton, here we listen to Hip Hop, Reggaeton, etc.. And yes there are lots of Nuyoricans here that can speak Spanish. People need to come, and see for themselves how is it here, not just go by what they see on the TV or just by the tourists that goes to PR. Also, if people live in the ghetto, then of course they are going to act ghetto, and dress ghetto too. However,if you are educated then you are going to dress proper, and speak proper too. I also would like to say many of the Nuyoricans that live here with the African American people that is why some may speak 'ghetto'. Not to offense the African American people, just trying to prove a point. And no they are not trying to be Black. Just that they were raised with Black people in the 'hood'. Also Puerto Ricans and African Americans invented Hip Hop back in the 70's 80's in the South Bronx, NY. Not many people know this.

From Mambo to Hip Hop Part 1 - YouTube

The video may get stuck, but fast forward it a little bit. The video will play well. Also feel free to watch the other parts From Mambo to Hip Hop as there are more parts of the video.

Moreover, Salsa musicians are Nuyoricans like Marc Anthony, Hector Lavoe, Tito Puente, La India, etc... So saying that Puerto Ricans from PR are nothing alike Nuyoricans is wrong. Moreover, real Puerto Ricans from Puerto Rico are Jibaros just like some people from the state that are called hicks. These people are not from the city they are from the country, and are not exposed to many culture, and dress from the country.

I am a Nuyorican, and I am very well educated. I have a Master's degree in Computer Security, and now doing a second Master's in Homeland Security. Also have you heard of Sonia Sotomayor? She is working at the White House now, and she is a Nuyorican. So do not come up with that that you are nothing like the Nuyoricans as making it seem like we are the worst of the worst.

Old 11-24-2013, 09:24 AM

529 posts, read 1,086,395 times
As many Puerto Ricans returned to the island with their children a rift began to appear among the kids. Some came from stable homes and values and others not. Many were sent by their parents to their Grand parents homes " Para ponerle verguenza" ( to shape them up) after they've gotten into trouble in NY.

As the NYC public education system collapsed, schools became holding pens for misbehaved kids who didn't care a hoot about education because according to many, it was a White thing.

When kids arrived on the island some integrated well into the island system, learned Spanish, continued their English and went on to higher education. Many who persisted with their ghetto ways were branded "others.

Why?

Because this other life style was identified with non-stop music, a refusal to learn proper Spanish and mocking other kids as stupid because they valued education. Rifts began forming in schools between NYC returnees and local kids. Several language incidents developed in the Gabriela Mistral school in Puerto Nuevo.

Thus the ground was laid to forming two types of Puerto Ricans, each with their own defined life styles, one copied from the island middle class and the other from the angry ghetto life many left behind.

Puerto Ricans have been the only group that I know who have have split their identity in two. One identified with middle class and the other with American ghetto. Dominicans and other Latinos haven't done this. At present Dominicans are the largest group of Latinos in colleges in NY.

Those Puerto Ricans identified with more education are generally not classified as Nuyorican on the island. Most Nuyoricans are seen as a separate group and not well educated who copied Black ghetto values. I always say they were colonized by Blacks in the ghetto. I've never seen many Blacks wanting to be Puerto Ricans, have you?.

Although this may sound like a generalization , ask anyone on the island and most will agree with my assessment.

Sonia Sotomayor is not identified as Nuyorican in Puerto Rico, but strangely Jaylo is.

Old 11-24-2013, 11:56 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,102,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clip314 View Post
Most Nuyoricans are seen as a separate group and not well educated who copied Black ghetto values. I always say they were colonized by Blacks in the ghetto.
I don't normally agree with you but I am in 100% agreement with you on this issue

Furthermore many Nuyoricans have married Blacks and other Hispanic groups to the degree that there is very little Puerto Rican about them. The idea that people even call them "Puerto Rican" is absurd and any real Puerto Ricans should be offended. They embarrass and hurt the image of Puerto Rico.

Last edited by WIHS2006; 11-24-2013 at 12:04 PM..

Old 11-24-2013, 01:11 PM

355 posts, read 716,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
I don't normally agree with you but I am in 100% agreement with you on this issue
Agree.

Old 11-24-2013, 01:53 PM

6 posts, read 12,462 times
you mean the high crime rate and the high rate of children out of wedlock, the high rate on welfare roles and the garbage music and the lack of personal responsibility and lack of work ethic? yeah I have to agree.

Old 11-24-2013, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clip314 View Post

Puerto Ricans have been the only group that I know who have have split their identity in two. One identified with middle class and the other with American ghetto. Dominicans and other Latinos haven't done this. At present Dominicans are the largest group of Latinos in colleges in NY.

Those Puerto Ricans identified with more education are generally not classified as Nuyorican on the island. Most Nuyoricans are seen as a separate group and not well educated who copied Black ghetto values. I always say they were colonized by Blacks in the ghetto. I've never seen many Blacks wanting to be Puerto Ricans, have you?.

Sonia Sotomayor is not identified as Nuyorican in Puerto Rico, but strangely Jaylo is.
It was interesting of you saying that Puerto Ricans have been the only group that you know that have split their identity into two. I agree. Puerto Ricans from NYC are Americanized and are not like the ones that are from Puerto Rico. Before in NYC, to be Hispanic in NYC it meant to be Puerto Rican. Puerto Ricans are the longest Hispanics that have been living in NYC for the longest. Have you ever heard of Freestyle? Freestyle was originiated mainly by Italians and Puerto Ricans from NYC. Here are some videos of Freestyle:

Noel - Silent Morning - YouTube

The Cover Girl's - Show Me - YouTube

LET ME BE THE ONE ~ BY SAFIRE - YouTube

More info on Freestyle:

Freestyle music - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Up to this day, Many Puerto Ricans from NYC, and Italians listen to Freestyle Music. You are making it seem that many of the Puerto Ricans from NYC (Nuyoricans) are ghetto. Those that are ghetto are from the ghetto, and not necessarily those Puerto Ricans that are from the ghetto it does not means that they are ghetto. For example, I am from the South Bronx, NY, and I am not ghetto even though I was raised in the 'hood'. Those Puerto Ricans that live in classy places are not ghetto. Also you are making it seem as if all the Puerto Ricans from Puerto Rico are classy. All of the Puerto Ricans from Puerto Rico are not classy. In Puerto Rico at the moment there are many murders that are occuring right now over drugs. So.. you tell me why is this happening if Puerto Ricans from Puerto Rico are classy and are educated?

You also stated "at present Dominicans are the largest group of Latinos in colleges in NY. " This is true. Do you know why is this? This is because there are barely any Puerto Ricans in NYC just like there are fewer Italians in NYC. There has been a huge decline of Puerto Ricans. All the Puerto Rican neighborhoods have been replaced by Dominicans. There are no Puerto Rican clubs here anymore. Most of the clubs here are Dominicans. Also most of the Hispanic restaurants here are Dominicans as well.

More info can be found here:

Dominicans Gaining on Puerto Ricans in City - NYTimes.com

FALLING BACK: A special report.; Puerto Rican Presence Wanes in New York - New York Times

Old 11-24-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post

Furthermore many Nuyoricans have married Blacks and other Hispanic groups to the degree that there is very little Puerto Rican about them. The idea that people even call them "Puerto Rican" is absurd and any real Puerto Ricans should be offended. They embarrass and hurt the image of Puerto Rico.
Since there is a huge decline in Puerto Ricans like I stated in my other post, that is why Puerto Ricans have relationships with Blacks, Dominicans, etc... However there are full Puerto Ricans here in NYC. Like for example, myself, I am a full Puerto Rican. Have you ever been to Orlando, Fl? Before, NYC was like Orlando with all the Puerto Ricans. Now it isn't like that anymore.

Old 11-24-2013, 02:58 PM

6 posts, read 12,462 times
Quote:
Puerto Ricans from NYC are Americanized and are not like the ones that are from Puerto Rico

more like ghettonized. The same for the ones in Chicago.

Old 11-24-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolloLoco99 View Post
more like ghettonized. The same for the ones in Chicago.
Question have you ever been to New York City?...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories