Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2013, 10:02 AM

5 posts, read 11,772 times

Advertisements

Another thread about maybe moving!!!!!

We have an opportunity to move to STX as a family for 3 years. Exciting and very nervous about the thought!
We have elementary age children that will go to a private school on the island. Of course, I am nervous about security measures at these schools! Does Good Hope Country Day have security in place? Locked doors, ID to enter, etc? Also, do the schools have air conditioning?

Also, is it more costly to own a boat there than on the mainland? Seeing how I dislike flying, we will not be leaving the island much. So a 21' boat will entertain us on weekends I am sure. We love the water and fishing.

Why do so many mainlanders go to the islands on dreams of staying and come running back? Is it the crime, the people or just boredom?

Are gated communities a must for the kids safety as far as bike riding, walking in the neighborhood, playing basketball? I would like the kids to enjoy the outside if I am cooking dinner and can't be right with them for 10 or 15 minutes. I want the neighborhood feel like here on the mainland where everyone looks out for everyone else.

Thank you for any information!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 05:42 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,682,675 times
The best source of information is the VIMovingCenter website which is specifically designed for those thinking of moving to the islands. As well as a slew of general information on scroll-down menus top of the page there's an active forum where any additional questions can be answered - and there are several contributing teachers who can answer your specific questions about the schools.

As far as why people leave, this is a very transient society and for so many different reasons but mainly that island living can be very confining for many. Under the American flag it's nonetheless a very different way of life from mainland USA! I think you'll find the information on the MovingCenter website very helpful and there are many moving stories there which are food for thought. Some are dated but the information contained in them is as relevant today as it was a few years ago! Good luck!

Old 09-18-2013, 07:36 PM

8 posts, read 18,375 times
Good Hope country day is a very nice school but it is not set up at all like a mainland elementary school. The school is divided by grades into upper middle and Lower with each level having its own building. The classrooms are all open air with the exception of some special classes such as computer labs. The school is spread out over a campus and the kids walk outside from class to class. I think that you will find that it is a much more relaxed atmosphere than you may be used to stateside. The mainland neighborhood feel is difficult to replicate here. There are not many gated communities but Estate Judiths fancy is gated and close to the school and is probably closest to what youvare describing. I would definitely recommend a premove visit. Island living is wonderful with lots of pros and cons. Come down and visit the grocery stores, banks, schools post office and see if it's for you!
We had a 22ft boat for years.. Lots of fun although hard to find reliable mechanics for service. Keeping it on a trailor is cheapest although there are other options from mooring balls at the yacht club to full service marinas which are significantly more. Good luck!

Old 09-22-2013, 10:12 PM

152 posts, read 371,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybemovestx View Post
Another thread about maybe moving!!!!!

We have an opportunity to move to STX as a family for 3 years. Exciting and very nervous about the thought!
We have elementary age children that will go to a private school on the island. Of course, I am nervous about security measures at these schools! Does Good Hope Country Day have security in place? Locked doors, ID to enter, etc? Also, do the schools have air conditioning?

Also, is it more costly to own a boat there than on the mainland? Seeing how I dislike flying, we will not be leaving the island much. So a 21' boat will entertain us on weekends I am sure. We love the water and fishing.

Why do so many mainlanders go to the islands on dreams of staying and come running back? Is it the crime, the people or just boredom?

Are gated communities a must for the kids safety as far as bike riding, walking in the neighborhood, playing basketball? I would like the kids to enjoy the outside if I am cooking dinner and can't be right with them for 10 or 15 minutes. I want the neighborhood feel like here on the mainland where everyone looks out for everyone else.

Thank you for any information!!!!!

Check the VI moving forum as suggested for info. Remember that all islands have items shipped into them and are expensive and may be limited from that perspective. WAPA power rates are expensive per kwh as fuel is used and costs to ship. Outages during storms are a potential as well as hurricanes -- location. STX is flatter than STT but more rural atmosphere. People come and go to all islands including Hawaii because they do NOT think and place themselves in a daily routine, as they live now, ON an ISLAND. Water and sand OK, but, you are not there every day, or, it too will be hum drum soon enough. There are insects, different attitudes, smaller populations of various types , meaning concentrated awareness of "some" that you might have avoided in a larger location. Hospital ? Medium sized and staff changes due to the above reason, and , larger medical conditions may need transport to Puerto Rico. Ask yourself why seniors, or those with more complicated medical conditions - leave as they get older. Medical. A larger employer on the south shore just closed too. residences may be more plentiful but most anyway are older and few owners will spend a lot to modernized when lease/renters may NOT be as plentiful. Entertainment ? What do you & family like? After newness wears thin, then what?

People go to Oahu, Hawaii and want "paradise" . OK. What is that for YOU ? Same thing in STX . STT has a smaller size but more cruise ships dock there too. BUT, hilly terrain means more wear and tear on car brakes etc. Driving practices are different and you should read about that too. Repairs may be tough getting parts and a technically adept service place , depends. Off island travel become harder - say you need to return for a relative sick etc in the mainland area you have extended family. Just a couple examples. They too, represent why people with " dreams: come..and then...GO. Of course it is doable, but, KNOW yourself and what YOU want & expect versus reality. Best success.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories