Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2014, 08:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,976 times

Advertisements

Can my landlord keep my deposit?? I loved out and gave her 3 dyas notice after not having hot water for 2 months and having to use one of the 2 bathrooms we had for 8 months. I was living there for 2 yeras and paid our rent on time for 2 years but didnt pay the last 2 months becuseo of not having hot water.. The day I was moving out she had the electrician show up to get the hot water going because we had a faulty wire coimg through the window that was for the water pump that sparked occasionally. I did a walk through with her she said everything was find and that they were no damges.. I also gave her a detailed letter of all the problems with the apartment that she did not fix and was giving notice of..In the letter included my mailing address everytime i call her she doent answer if i call from another number she says the connection is bad and hangs up the phone.. My least was up and was on a month to month basis…Can she just keep my deposit I'mnot sure what the laws are in the virgin Islands any help is more than welcome we had to move quickly because of the no hot water and the mold in the living rrom and bedrrom from the roof leaking cpl months prior she did send some one to fix that but they only paid the roof the old boards are still there all moldy and stuff really need some insight.. i know this is long but we also found out from her elcetritoan that the other tenats was using out electricity after comlaining for months…We left for amonths and turned off everything the electrical company say they cant help us and that we need to speak to her,,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 06:51 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
I doubt very much that you're going to get back your security deposit and I also doubt that going to small claims court would result in a ruling in your favor either. There are procedures to follow when maintenance issues need to be addressed and these include putting them in writing to the LL when they happen not writing everything down and presenting them when you decide to move.

Also you cannot legally withhold rent for any reason unless you go through the court and pay the rent into an escrow account until the dispute has been settled. Things obviously weren't so bad that you were forced to move. You stayed there, had a roof over your head free for two months and can hardly expect your security deposit to be returned after that ...

You might benefit for the future in looking over various state landlord tenant laws. With few exceptions the basics about rental payments, security deposits and maintenance issues are universal in what's expected of both landlord and tenant where they're concerned. Under the "rental" forum on this site you'll find links to most of the states. These "universal" laws based on common law are adhered to in the USVI. Good luck!

PS: You also defaulted by giving your LL only a few days notice. If you didn't have a term lease (in which case you're bound to honor its terms for the duration) you're on a month to month which requires you to legally give 30 days notice of quit.

Old 02-03-2014, 07:46 PM

300 posts, read 438,551 times
Wow. No hot water for 2 months and you were paying for the nieghbor's electric? That sucks. Almost everywhere (ecpent the USVI) hot water is required by health code. and no hot water would deem your apartment unihabitable. Therefore, no rent would be due. The land lord wait untill the day you're moving out to make repairs? And finds that both units are running off one meter? This sounds like an illegal bootleg rental. I would turn her in for renting illegally and having illegal apartments. I would also turn her into the health department. I bet she's not delcaring or paying taxes on her rental income either.... I doubt you'll get your deposit back but she should not rent such shady apts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories