Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 06:40 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,224,855 times

Advertisements

Hi, Folks. I know this has been discussed before, but I can't find anything all that recent, so I apologize for the new thread on an old topic.

There's a very good chance I will be accepting a position with the federal government and working at Andersen AFB. Unfortunately, my starting salary will be rather low at approx. $34K, but there are several steps in the pay plan. There's a good possibility that I will have government housing available to me at a reduced rate, so that should save me some money. On the off chance that I do not, what are some of the areas near the base that are desirable? I'm single, with no kids, so I don't need a large place at all. I have been checking Craigslist, and there are some decent, affordable listings, but I'm not sure about the area they're located in.

Additionally, there is no reimbursement for relocation, so airfare, vehicle shipping, etc would fall on my shoulders. What are some of the airlines that offer the cheapest fares? I live in NY, but am willing to fly from anywhere in the States assuming it makes financial sense. Also, as far as shipping my vehicle, a full-size pickup, any recommended carriers? How does the entire process work? I'd like to pack the truck full of belongings to save on separate shipping. Is this allowed?

Lastly, I have a few more points I'd like to hit on and hopefully get some advice.

• I have Verizon Wireless as my cell phone carrier. Can I continue to use them, or do I need to switch to one of the Guam-specific carriers?
  • What are my options as far as Internet/Cable go? DirectTV? Local Cable?
  • Is Amazon Prime available to residents of Guam? The shipping discounts would be a huge plus.

I know it'll be tough, but it's a small price to pay to live in such a beautiful area. Also, I figure that now is the time to get this experience. When I'm married and have kids, this won't be as easily doable. Thanks, everyone! Have a great weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 06:20 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,581,794 times
I haven't lived on Guam for a long time, but no one else has answered any of your questions, so I will take a stab at it. Bear in mind that someone who has fresher info may step in and say I'm full of it.

When I lived on Guam, (back in the 80s) shipping a car was very expensive, even from the West Coast. Something like 2k back then. However, local older cars (known as Guam Bombs) were very cheap. This was due to a combination of rusting of the cars and also the fact that servicemen are constantly rotating on and off island. When I was there, I picked up a 5-year old Nissan for $850 and sold it six-months later for $800--so the car cost me $50 for six months. I stored the car that I owned stateside with a friend. Yigo is the closest village to Andy and it seemed like a nice place back then. Now? Need someone to tell you who's been there more recently.

Flights from the west coast will most likely be cheaper than from the east coast. The problem with Guam is that there really aren't any discount flights to the island. You might want to take a look at picking up a cheap flight to Tokyo or Seoul and then booking a separate flight from there to Guam. I've looked at round-trip flights recently and going through Tokyo and booking a separate flight into Guam is about $300 cheaper than a round-trip booked direct.

Guam is in the U.S. Postal zone and you might want to check into how much flat-rate boxes would cost to ship stuff to Guam. Furniture and the like, I would leave in the states and pick up stuff there.

When I was there, reef fish was dirt cheap and rice was subsidized by the govt. so you could eat pretty reasonably (especially if you like Spam!). Fresh veggies which come from the mainland are quite expensive as is beef. Frozen food is also expensive.

Eating out is expensive. Scuba diving is the sport of choice for many (it was for me). There are some nice beaches off Andy if you have access and it sounds like you will.

Can't tell you about much else as I pre-date all wireless and cable options.

Good luck!

Old 02-20-2014, 01:02 AM

John,

Thank you! I'm kind of stuck with my vehicle now (lease), and I checked with the leasing company, they will accept the lease-end in Guam. I am looking at this as one heck of a once in a lifetime experience...single, no kids, beautiful surroundings, relatively affordable, etc. Plus, it will allow me to travel a lot easier.

Thanks again for your reply/advice.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:55 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,272,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedFloridian View Post
What are some of the airlines that offer the cheapest fares? I live in NY, but am willing to fly from anywhere in the States assuming it makes financial sense.
Is there any chance that your position would make you eligible for Space A travel? I believe civilian employees of the DoD are eligible. It's not glamorous, but it's cheap!

Old 02-20-2014, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Is there any chance that your position would make you eligible for Space A travel? I believe civilian employees of the DoD are eligible. It's not glamorous, but it's cheap!
I'm not sure on this yet. The airfare savings would be nice, but what I really need is some sort of discount on vehicle shipping. I've been getting quotes up to $5K shipped from the west coast...and I'd still need to either ship it to the west coast or drive it out there.

Old 02-20-2014, 12:23 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,986,180 times
Have you thought about using Swapalease or LeaseTrader.com to list your car and hopefully find someone you can transfer the lease to? I think I'd be looking into that option if I were you.

How To Get Out of Your Car Lease the Cheap and Easy Way on Edmunds.com

Old 02-20-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
Have you thought about using Swapalease or LeaseTrader.com to list your car and hopefully find someone you can transfer the lease to? I think I'd be looking into that option if I were you.

How To Get Out of Your Car Lease the Cheap and Easy Way on Edmunds.com
No, I had never heard of it, but I will definitely look into it, thanks!

Old 02-20-2014, 03:51 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,986,180 times
You're welcome, glad to help. I don't know if you've seen this link, but you might find it useful as general information. Good luck to you. You might start a blog after you get there, giving your experiences about getting settled in. It could be useful to others.

Living On Guam | Guam PCS | Guam TLA | Guam relocation service includes hotel and rental car

Old 02-20-2014, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
You're welcome, glad to help. I don't know if you've seen this link, but you might find it useful as general information. Good luck to you. You might start a blog after you get there, giving your experiences about getting settled in. It could be useful to others.

Living On Guam | Guam PCS | Guam TLA | Guam relocation service includes hotel and rental car
Absolutely. I planned on doing a blog and photographic essay of my journey and experiences.

Old 05-24-2014, 06:15 AM

1 posts, read 9,103 times
Default Have you made it?

Have you made your move? I'm coming in sept.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories