Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2014, 09:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,511 times

Advertisements

Situation: I live in Oshkosh, WI and i am graduating in a few weeks. I will have a few degrees under my belt, consider myself pretty employable, and I do not have any debt so I have decided to live out my lease in town here and then just move somewhere at the end of the summer. I consider location very relevant to my happiness and i do not like Wisconsin, never have. Once i figure out where i want to go i will make an attempt to find employment before moving, but honestly if worse comes to worse i have enough money to just pick up and leave and look for jobs once i get there. Please, for the sake of this thread, assume that i am correct in that and not acting young and foolish; I'm not going to make myself homeless

That said, I'm trying to identify some prime locations based on what i am looking for. I already have a list of places that i like but, not being too overly exposed to our wonderful nation, i am sure there are great cities i haven't thought of yet. Your help and suggestions are certainly appreciated.

Here is what I need:
-Rent. I will be living in a single bedroom apartment and I do not want to spend more than, I would say, 750 a month. Small is fine, my only real demand is a dishwasher. I realize the 750 limit will limit my options.
-Climate. I pretty much hate snow. I can definitely tolerate a few snows a year or even a decently heavy 2 months per year but anything more than that and i would have to pass. Heat doesn't bother me much but if I'm living somewhere really hot I would probably want A/C and then it becomes a questions of if I can afford that. But that would only be in a place that's like 100+ and humid, dry heat I am ok with
-Culturally/demographically I want a relatively young population, and i definitely prefer outdoorsy "active" people ala Colorado or Utah. This isn't a huge thing because I believe you can find good people anywhere, but i do think it counts for something. I still like to "party" and drink though, I'm not sure if there are places where people don't like to get drunk because they'd rather get up early on Saturdays and go mountain biking, but if so that wouldn't be the crowd for me.
-I like bigger cities with a decent night life. I would prefer to stay away from places wherein the morning commute is pure hell but its not a deal breaker.
-The job market should not be too dire.
-A bonus would be a location near a nice beach because i LOVE the beach but realistically I don't think I can afford to live in a place like this right now. I just really like being outside in the sun, any place with a variety of outdoor attractions would be great

That's a quick summary. Now here is what I have so far:
-Colorado Springs... very affordable living, great climate. I heard the night life isn't too great, probably just people being critical but thats a concern
-Greater Salt Lake City area... affordable, good climate. Not really sure what to make of the local culture with the Mormon influence and everything. I'm pretty easy-going but I am a little worried that the bar/dating scene would be weird for me since i'm not religious (if i'm being ridiculous please let me know), i'm not judgmental but religion can be polarizing
-Logan, UT... Normally I wouldn't consider a place this small, but it is a college town and i've heard good things
-Denver... great but probably out of my price range
-Cincinnati... seems like a great city and I would consider it, but it's still that midwestern climate that i hate
-Portland... despite not matching up with everything that I say I want I've been to Portland and I like how eccentric it is. Seems a little too expensive though

Feel free to offer suggestions. Thank you very much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 04:44 PM

28,096 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagrosha View Post
-Greater Salt Lake City area... affordable, good climate. Not really sure what to make of the local culture with the Mormon influence and everything. I'm pretty easy-going but I am a little worried that the bar/dating scene would be weird for me since i'm not religious (if i'm being ridiculous please let me know), i'm not judgmental but religion can be polarizing
If I were you, I'd post your concerns about this issue on the Salt Lake City forum. Most of the people posting on that forum are non-LDS transplants to Salt Lake City. They could probably give you a better answer than spmeone on this more forum since it's much more general.

Old 04-28-2014, 04:49 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,481,819 times
Quote:
Situation: I live in Oshkosh, WI and i am graduating in a few weeks. I will have a few degrees under my belt, consider myself pretty employable, and I do not have any debt so I have decided to live out my lease in town here and then just move somewhere at the end of the summer. I consider location very relevant to my happiness and i do not like Wisconsin, never have. Once i figure out where i want to go i will make an attempt to find employment before moving, but honestly if worse comes to worse i have enough money to just pick up and leave and look for jobs once i get there. Please, for the sake of this thread, assume that i am correct in that and not acting young and foolish; I'm not going to make myself homeless

That said, I'm trying to identify some prime locations based on what i am looking for. I already have a list of places that i like but, not being too overly exposed to our wonderful nation, i am sure there are great cities i haven't thought of yet. Your help and suggestions are certainly appreciated.

Here is what I need:
-Rent. I will be living in a single bedroom apartment and I do not want to spend more than, I would say, 750 a month. Small is fine, my only real demand is a dishwasher. I realize the 750 limit will limit my options.
-Climate. I pretty much hate snow. I can definitely tolerate a few snows a year or even a decently heavy 2 months per year but anything more than that and i would have to pass. Heat doesn't bother me much but if I'm living somewhere really hot I would probably want A/C and then it becomes a questions of if I can afford that. But that would only be in a place that's like 100+ and humid, dry heat I am ok with
-Culturally/demographically I want a relatively young population, and i definitely prefer outdoorsy "active" people ala Colorado or Utah. This isn't a huge thing because I believe you can find good people anywhere, but i do think it counts for something. I still like to "party" and drink though, I'm not sure if there are places where people don't like to get drunk because they'd rather get up early on Saturdays and go mountain biking, but if so that wouldn't be the crowd for me.
-I like bigger cities with a decent night life. I would prefer to stay away from places wherein the morning commute is pure hell but its not a deal breaker.
-A bonus would be a location near a nice beach because i LOVE the beach but realistically I don't think I can afford to live in a place like this right now. I just really like being outside in the sun, any place with a variety of outdoor attractions would be great

-Colorado Springs... very affordable living, great climate. I heard the night life isn't too great, probably just people being critical but thats a concern
-Logan, UT... Normally I wouldn't consider a place this small, but it is a college town and i've heard good things
-Cincinnati... seems like a great city and I would consider it, but it's still that midwestern climate that i hate
-Portland... despite not matching up with everything that I say I want I've been to Portland and I like how eccentric it is. Seems a little too expensive though

So, basically, you want to live in an exciting large city with a young population, situated in a warm climate, with plenty of outdoor activities, a vibrant night life, a strong job market and, if possible, near the beach. And you want this all for about & $750 a month????

Try Fantasyland.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:58 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,581,794 times
Since none of your choices are a U.S. Territory, why are you posting in this forum?

Old 04-29-2014, 10:31 AM

473 posts, read 796,718 times
Well given that none of the listed cities are near a beach (which is a noted preference), I am guessing that he is saying that he has already looked at those cities and is looking to see if any US Territories may be a good fit.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:37 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,581,794 times
For $750 a month????

Old 04-29-2014, 12:30 PM

473 posts, read 796,718 times
I am not saying that his request is realistic. Rather I believe this is where he intended to ask his question.

Old 05-06-2014, 06:23 PM

300 posts, read 438,603 times
What type of job are you hoping to land? What's your degree/experience/training?

St Croix fits all your requirements even the (one bed room for $750).
However, the job market is pretty slim pickings. UNLESS, you have special skill...

St Thomas has more job opportunites, but the housing cost more. $750 is definitely do-able for one person.
Atlanta? Raliegh-Durham? Florida's gulf coast?

Old 05-07-2014, 09:29 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,341,078 times
Quote:

Here is what I need:

Try here:Listing, Real Estate Rentals

There are plenty of one bedroom apartments in the 600-800 dollar range in metro San Juan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories