Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 08:44 AM

355 posts, read 716,959 times

Advertisements

Waste to Energy plant on the horizon for Puerto Rico. Longterm landfills don't work well on an island, this is long overdue.

$750M Energy Answers WTE project in Arecibo wins key federal permit - Caribbean Business
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 09:26 AM

3,562 posts, read 4,395,122 times
HALLELUYAH!

Although this by no means seals the deal, it is a step in the right direction! Thanks for posting this link.

As I've previously mentioned, I was affiliated with Energy Answers Corp (EAC) and this project from 1998 to 2000. I can honestly state that EAC's upper management are environmentaly minded engineers.

As before, I expect oposition from the uninformed; the same people who were NEVER able to offer an equal-to or better-than comparable/viable solution. It's easy to sit back, criticize and simply say NO to everything.

It's not as easy to be progressive and forward thinking about solving Puerto Rico's garbage dilemma. This is what EAC has been doing since the 90's with little to ZERO support from all the gov't administrations.

I wish Pat Mahoney and EAC all the luck in the world!

Last edited by chacho_keva; 05-07-2014 at 09:40 AM..

Old 09-11-2014, 10:35 AM

See the following article which appeared just yesterday; which is precisely why WTE plants (as in more than one) should have been implemented in Puerto Rico decades ago:

Asoma el cierre de siete vertederos - El Nuevo Día

Old 09-11-2014, 11:16 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
See the following article which appeared just yesterday; which is precisely why WTE plants (as in more than one) should have been implemented in Puerto Rico decades ago:

Asoma el cierre de siete vertederos - El Nuevo Día
I agree. Read through the article, and they mentioned Puerto Rico should have a recycling level of at least 35%, not the present 11%. Well, how about a recycling level that high, and the rest, as much as possible, gets burned in WTE plants built throughout the island? My guess is that the NIMBYs don't want WTE plants anywhere near them. Fact of the matter is, coal is too expensive to rely on to keep shipping to PR. Why not burn the trash we discard? It'll lower energy prices, and free up landfill space.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I agree. Read through the article, and they mentioned Puerto Rico should have a recycling level of at least 35%, not the present 11%. Well, how about a recycling level that high, and the rest, as much as possible, gets burned in WTE plants built throughout the island? My guess is that the NIMBYs don't want WTE plants anywhere near them. Fact of the matter is, coal is too expensive to rely on to keep shipping to PR. Why not burn the trash we discard? It'll lower energy prices, and free up landfill space.
As a result of your post, allow me to consider you a friend.

I've worked in power generation for 29 consecutive years. For 28 of those years I've primarily worked in Landfill Gas-to-Energy (LFGTE) facilities and one Mass Burn WTE facility.

Since 1988, I have been directly involved in this unnecessary dog fight regarding the implementation of WTE in PR.

As you correctly stated, the Not-In-My-Backyard (NIMBY) argument has in part prevented WTE facilities from being built and operated in PR. But, the greatest challenge to the implementation of this technology has come from the Junta de Calidad Ambiental (JCA) and a disinterested government going as far back to the Roselló administration. In addition, as of late, another oppositionist wing has been the Sierra Club of PR who've campaigned against WTE from the Fear Of The Unknown platform.

All those in opposition to WTE are quick to voice baseless reasons as to why WTE will not and cannot work in PR (although it functions quite well throughout the world). Unfortunately, these same groups have thus been unable to propose an equal-to or better-than solution to PR's Waste Management dilemma. They'll often mention 100% recycling; something which has NOT been accomplished ANYWHERE in the world.

As for coal, yes, it is a dirty fuel requiring mining, [normally] long range transportation, storage, and lots of processing, regardless of whether it is burned in crushed or pulverized form.

For the long term sake of Puerto Rico, please support WTE whenever/wherever the topic is raised.

Last edited by chacho_keva; 09-11-2014 at 12:21 PM..

Old 09-12-2014, 05:53 AM

Here's a way to learn more about WTE in Puerto Rico:

https://www.facebook.com/#!/energyanswerspr?fref=photo

Here you will find up-to-date info regarding what a Private Firm is trying to accomplish before ALL of PR's landfills are filled to capacity by the next 6 to 8 years.

Old 11-02-2014, 10:20 PM

Twenty-six years later . . . it's finally getting closer:

Junta de Calidad Ambiental aprueba el permiso para la incineradora de Arecibo | Mi Puerto Rico Verde

Please support this most needed project in Puerto Rico.

Old 10-04-2017, 10:44 AM

Given the massive amounts of rubbish after Hurricane Maria, chances are that the few existing landfills in Puerto Rico will reach full capacity well before the predicted years of 2020 to 2024. This will be an irrefutable fact that PR's leaders must finally come to grips with and do something about immediately.

Hopefully, this will result in the implementation of, not one, but several Waste-to-Energy facilities throughout the island.

Without a doubt, the UNINFORMED/LET'S PRETEND THERE'S NO PROBLEM/SAY NO TO EVERYTHING crowd will be present to oppose this project as they have for more than 20 years now. Politicians need to pay attention to the facts and data related to this critical problem which is now in PR's bedroom. If nothing is done, PR will soon be known as Garbage Island.

Old 10-04-2017, 02:22 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,106,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
Given the massive amounts of rubbish after Hurricane Maria, chances are that the few existing landfills in Puerto Rico will reach full capacity well before the predicted years of 2020 to 2024. This will be an irrefutable fact that PR's leaders must finally come to grips with and do something about immediately.

Hopefully, this will result in the implementation of, not one, but several Waste-to-Energy facilities throughout the island.

Without a doubt, the UNINFORMED/LET'S PRETEND THERE'S NO PROBLEM/SAY NO TO EVERYTHING crowd will be present to oppose this project as they have for more than 20 years now. Politicians need to pay attention to the facts and data related to this critical problem which is now in PR's bedroom. If nothing is done, PR will soon be known as Garbage Island.
Bbbbbbuttttt the ashes from the smoke stack will cause cancer!

^ That's what Maria de Lourdes Santiago said about the construction of waste-to-energy plants.

Old 10-05-2017, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Bbbbbbuttttt the ashes from the smoke stack will cause cancer!

^ That's what Maria de Lourdes Santiago said about the construction of waste-to-energy plants.

That is one of the claims of the UNINFORMED/LET'S PRETEND THERE'S NO PROBLEM/SAY NO TO EVERYTHING crowd. But again I ask, what is their viable solution? It's courageous and admirable to stand up against what you vehemently oppose. But with that opposition comes the responsibility of delivering a sound alternative to that which you oppose. When you're not able to deliver, your opposition is nothing more than irresponsible noise void of meaning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories