Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 03:50 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,234,517 times

Advertisements

^ Shades of the infamous Caribbean hater 'miss loudmouth'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2018, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe's Choice View Post
We docked at St. Thomas one time for the day but we've heard so many bad things about the crime we didn't get off the ship. I got a Swedish massage instead.

St. Johns is incredible though.
So, how much dinero did you make giving that 'Swedish massage'?

enough for a 'speed bar' drink and an empanada?

Old 04-30-2018, 04:11 PM

when you are preparing my room, make sure to leave a chocolate on the coverlet..

I will tell your Boss you are trying real hard at your new job.

Everyone has to start at the bottom of the ladder, and everyone deserves a second chance.

Old 05-06-2018, 03:46 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,171,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.magoo View Post
I lost power today for two hours, in a minor Nor'easter. I live in Central NJ.

Better get used to it, Bus man, things are changing along with the climate changes..Experts say you are going to see some MAJOR outages in the coming years in your area...you are gonna have to learn to cope, my man

Just because you can't presently deal with a little inconvenience of lack of power doesn't mean the rest of the world can't cope...not everyone is a 'Canary in a Coal Mine.'

I also have a place in Puerto Rico..even before the huracáns hit, sporadic power outages are something we have always dealt with.
not a problem..

Personally, I am happy the Caribbean isn't for you...

'Different attitudes for different lattitudes'
Well said.

Old 05-08-2018, 09:11 AM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Of course there is pressure to improve and it has. It used to be worse but things have gotten better. Still much to do in that department though...and yes, I’m talking about normal conditions.

No need to explain power in the U.S. I was raised in the States so I’m aware that power is rarely lost. However, right now, I’ll take my 10 minute commute, beautiful beaches and better pay. So yes, I’m satisfied.

Not sure how you are equating one island with the entire Caribbean. Is the U.S. the same as Mexico? LOL. Every island is different.
Fair point. I had mentally shifted gears when I wrote my comment about power issues on St. Thomas and then commented that I would not like to live in the Caribbean. But in context, it does appear that I was equating one island with the entire region. My apologies for not being clearer.

And while I realize that one cannot tell tone of voice from the written word, I would like to assure you that I was not being sarcastic; I am genuinely pleased that you are satisfied with living on St. Thomas. It's important to be happy where you are, and the more happy people there are, the better off the world will be.

As for the power issue, I realize that burying the lines would be much more expensive than stringing them up on poles. But it seems like every time a hurricane comes through, the lines blow down and the people are without power for weeks or even months. Surely it would be cheaper over the long run to bury the lines once then have to repeatedly re-string them back on their poles, wouldn't it? I honestly don't understand why this hasn't been done.

FWIW, the lines in my area are buried . . . and we almost never lose power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.magoo View Post
Just a post script to my post above^
The Nor'easter that left me without power last night also hit the DelMarVa area (Delaware-Maryland-Virginia last night.
There are currently a little over 19,000 people in that area without Power as I write this.

I hope Bus man isn't one of those unfortunate people.
My power stayed on the whole time. But thank you for your concern!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories