Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2016, 09:36 PM

3,345 posts, read 2,307,166 times

Advertisements

I see that 2016 is the year that the federal government is finally forcing states and territories that are not in compliance yet to comply with the act and to reject state issued IDs for federal purposes that does not meet the requirements. Previously they were given indefinite extensions but now it appears they have laid down the final deadline. However even today there are still a number of states as well as all the outlying US territories that are not in compliance yet, the most populated state of California being one of them. I wonder does this mean that residents traveling from these island territories would need passports to travel to another part of US? As unlike those living in a continental state people in territories must travel by flying.

Also I read that territories are in progress of drafting laws to implement Real ID in their territories. How would this affect residents of these locations as recordkeeping systems in these islands are still pretty primitive to adopt such measures and they have a long ways to go before their records are digitalized. This is required under the Real ID act which would electronically integrate states and territories records to a one large National database visible to all other states. Which also compromises with confidentiality of information as well leading to objections from some states and territories.

Interestingly I just read CNMI passed house bill 19-25 to comply with the federal real ID act. Its unknown how long if ever it would be truly be implemented there based on the technical barriers I mentioned above. It would also get interesting as some territories such as CNMI, Guam, and American Samoa, unlike most states in the union, requires even non residents to get local drivers license if they stay longer than 30 days on the territory (unless they are in the military). Though unlike with most states in the union these territories allow non residents to get a local drivers license without giving up their home state license. However under the real ID act its prohibited to hold two Real ID compliant ID cards or licenses. Would this mean the longer staying non residents would need to give up their home state license to comply with territory 30 day rule and but have go back to the DMV again when they return to their home state of residency?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2016, 10:42 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,970,556 times
The interesting thing is they ARE supposed to take your driver's license when you get a new one, even now. However, like many things in the territories, things often aren't done buy the book, and when I was there all it took was a smile and a couple of 'pleases' and the DMV woman gave in. Many of the locals working for the government in the smaller territories got their jobs through nepotism and aren't very professional. I doubt that will change regardless of what the law says.

Old 12-10-2016, 06:09 PM

I heard this too. Though it appears in practice territories are defacto foreign countries as opposed to another state. Foreign country who allow direct issues do not take your out of country license. Also its unique territories require non residents to obtain local licenses. Though the unique thing is regardless of whatever they do to your home state license your home state would not recognize this contrasts to if you obtain a license in another state license part of an Interstate compact i.e DLC, NRVC, in other words what happens in the territory stays there. In other word you are still officially licensed in your home state and can just obtain another license from the DMV. Though I don't know if the real id act would change all this. That would present a problem for those who must travel between their home states often.

The advantage nowadays is that territorial licenses are practically just paper with no electronic information to capture and no information to share outside of the government of the respective territory. Therefore they guard against identification theft.

Old 12-13-2016, 09:42 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,038,016 times
People from the territories are American citizens too. In order to comply with the Real ID act, identification documents for Federal purposes will have to meet the requirements, just like anywhere else. If they don't, they won't be valid for Federal purposes. If a territory want's a certain document to be recognized by the Federal Government, they will have to insure the requirements are met.

Perhaps in terms of drivers licenses, the territories will have to get on board with the interstate compacts for their licenses to meet Real ID requirements, or they can simply issue ID cards that are not drivers licenses to meet the requirements.

Old 12-19-2016, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
People from the territories are American citizens too. In order to comply with the Real ID act, identification documents for Federal purposes will have to meet the requirements, just like anywhere else. If they don't, they won't be valid for Federal purposes. If a territory want's a certain document to be recognized by the Federal Government, they will have to insure the requirements are met.

Perhaps in terms of drivers licenses, the territories will have to get on board with the interstate compacts for their licenses to meet Real ID requirements, or they can simply issue ID cards that are not drivers licenses to meet the requirements.
True I just don't get why not just release a federal ID card, greatly simplifying the process than going through the complicity and cost of changing the system in all fifty states and territories which all have their unique standards, some of whom still have a long ways to go in updating their antiquated systems while some others simply just refuse to get onboard as the case with Montana and Oklahoma. In fact we already have a federal real ID document called the Passport card. This card which is the size of a drivers license is already a fully compliant Real ID document. Federalizing sovereign state and territorial documents and procedures is just a waste of tax payer money.
I bet many territorial residents already have US passports as they are often surrounded by foreign countries that require passports to enter and often do travel to those countries or through them on their way to other parts of the US.

Last edited by citizensadvocate; 12-19-2016 at 02:08 PM..

Old 12-22-2016, 11:34 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,103,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
True I just don't get why not just release a federal ID card, greatly simplifying the process than going through the complicity and cost of changing the system in all fifty states and territories which all have their unique standards, some of whom still have a long ways to go in updating their antiquated systems while some others simply just refuse to get onboard as the case with Montana and Oklahoma. In fact we already have a federal real ID document called the Passport card. This card which is the size of a drivers license is already a fully compliant Real ID document. Federalizing sovereign state and territorial documents and procedures is just a waste of tax payer money.
I bet many territorial residents already have US passports as they are often surrounded by foreign countries that require passports to enter and often do travel to those countries or through them on their way to other parts of the US.
I have long suggested that the passport card should be used as a sort of national ID card. One free card per decade for all citizens. It would end all of this endless "voter fraud" hysteria in Southern states too.

Old 12-22-2016, 10:41 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,267,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
I have long suggested that the passport card should be used as a sort of national ID card. One free card per decade for all citizens. It would end all of this endless "voter fraud" hysteria in Southern states too.

democrats will never allow it especially in California......they say it violates the civil rights of minorities....lol.........the problem is not in the South where they require a government I.D. to vote just like in Puerto Rico.....the problem is states like California where they give Driver's Licenses to ILLEGALS, gives them legal status and gives them protection in their sanctuary cities from federal enforcement of immigration laws and require NO I.D. to vote in their local precincts and then calls anybody racists that calls them out on their madness.

Old 12-29-2016, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
h
Fortunately according to wikipedia the requirement for states and territories to join the DLA or Drivers License Agreement had been struck down from the Real ID act. The compacts and agreements are simply a ploy from insurance companies to take advantage of drivers who often have to travel out of state and would not be able to fight unjust citations. Though territorial information would still be shared with other states in the union.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
I couldn't agree more. Apparently the department has other secret plans to be able to tap data from states and territories even though they already have an national id card which all citizens can use already. Just like how they are already able to unlock the iphone themselves but still want Apple to do it for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
democrats will never allow it especially in California......they say it violates the civil rights of minorities....lol.........the problem is not in the South where they require a government I.D. to vote just like in Puerto Rico.....the problem is states like California where they give Driver's Licenses to ILLEGALS, gives them legal status and gives them protection in their sanctuary cities from federal enforcement of immigration laws and require NO I.D. to vote in their local precincts and then calls anybody racists that calls them out on their madness.
Very true, democrat busybodies have been doing a lot of absurd lobbying around the state these days. Though we already have a National ID card called the passport card open to all who voluntarily apply. I also agree that the main reason for Drivers licenses for illegals is for certain purposes other than driving. As believe it or non residents of CA are legally permitted to drive indefinitely with licenses from home whether its from another state or their home country. Residency is determined by domicile, you are only a California resident if you are a registered voter, file a homeowners tax exemption, get MediCal or similar benefits. These are normally off limits for illegal immigrants.

Old 01-28-2021, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
Its interesting CA did not pass legislation banning implementation of Real ID within California nor stood its ground. I doubt the act would move forward or be enforced if California holds out.
I be curious whether Real ID would mean that even the federal limits apply licenses which the state gives to illegal immigrants. would be subject to future data mining by the feds and other states including once immigration nosy Arizona. While DHS website says Real ID would not build a national data base shared with feds or other state other resources say otherwise.

https://www.dhs.gov/real-id/real-id-...sked-questions
https://www.nilc.org/news/the-torch/1-04-18/
https://www.cnmilaw.org/pdf/public_laws/18/pl18-59.pdf

Also back to the topic I be curious what would become of the situation of US terrorities recently. I just read that islanders in some terrorities including American Samoa are encountering issues they haven't had before
https://www.samoanews.com/local-news...-says-senators
And that they hadn't even rolled out Real IDs yet. I be curious how they be able to do it. Remember this island does not even have addresses on most residences.

Hopefully the new adminstration would completely cancel Real ID. Enhanced licenses which can prove citizenship across borders/ports of entry and satisfy everything Real ID satisifies seems to make much more sense as a better alternative but for some reason its not pushed. So is a voluntarily US ID similar to a passport card or whats offered in Canada and some countries I heard.

I be curious what its like to get a license by exchange in the terrorities these days.
I remember it used to be as easy as bringing any good license in your name from any state/terroritiy/ or some countries and they will give you their new local license all in minutes. No need to truely prove address, nor are there any connection with the original licensing state or terrority. Essentially you get a valid US based license valid for all where US licenses are accepted with exception of officials in your home state/province/country where you had your original current valid license. Territorial licenses were simple cards like school ids that didn't include any electric info or record for public or private agency i.e retailer/bar to mine or scan. Yes in this case the "what happens in Vegas stays there, what happens out stays out" really applies. I be curious how would the Real ID change this even for those elect to not get a Real ID compliant license.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories