Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 11:13 AM

4 posts, read 4,409 times

Advertisements

I've seen just a few references in articles about this. If PR was to become a state, would the VI be part of that state? If PR was to become an independent nation, what would become of the VI?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2017, 11:39 AM

1,616 posts, read 1,805,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WardCleaverJr View Post
I've seen just a few references in articles about this. If PR was to become a state, would the VI be part of that state? If PR was to become an independent nation, what would become of the VI?
2 different states. Virgin islands has nothing to do wit PR.

Old 06-13-2017, 12:38 PM

4 posts, read 4,409 times
Guess the question is more about what might change. I have read some analysts who say they may be grouped together in something. I believe statehood was the topic of the article. Curious if that's wild speculation or actually being talked about. Going to assume wild speculation. Thanks!

Old 06-14-2017, 07:14 PM

15,064 posts, read 6,164,035 times
Different territories. There are a significant number of Puerto Ricans and Puerto Rican descendants in the VI but not so many to make the ties very close. There are a couple shared cultural aspects but overall the territories are distinct from each other.

I guarantee the majority of Virgin Islanders would not want to be a part of a PR state. What PR does is separate from the VI.

Old 06-14-2017, 09:01 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,481,084 times
Two very different histories and character:

1) USVI was colony of Denmark. PR colony of Spain

2) PR was war booty when US defeated Spain in Spanish-American War of 1898. USVI was voluntary sale by Denmark to US 20 years later when they were trying to fight off Germany in WW-I and needed money and couldn't afford securing the far-off islands. USA didn't want the Germans to take them over to provide an easy launching point for harassing (or even unlikely invasion) of US mainland

3) Since 1898 PR has strongly retained Spanish/PR customs and language. USVI since 1916 not much left of Danish culture and practically none of language. American-Caribbean English is King and Danish a dying language of a few very old guys.

4) USVI smaller in both population and land area than any US states. PR with a population of 3.4 MM is larger than 1/3 of states and area is bigger than RI, Delaware, DC, and just short of Conn. While lower income, is a much more viable "statelike" entity and candidate for statehood, esp. with its 95+% vote for statehood last weekend. Also, USVI's voice would largely be lost as part of a state of PR/USVI vs having a separate rep in Congress as they do now. However, staying a territory, they can't have a presidential vote - as part of a combined state with PR they would be able to .

5) Culturally and linguistically USVI should hook up with BVI (British), St. Kitts, St.Lucia, St. Vincent, Grenada, Jamaica, Antigua, The Caymans and possibly the Atlantic states of Bermuda and Bahamas and form a new nation "Ango-American States of the Caribbean" (AASC) . I'm sure Donald Trump and Theresa May could work out the details and provide a defense umbrella through a NATO-like treaty and promise of joint protection. It would then be a really viable nation-state with resources and population reaching a critical mass for prosperity.

Old 06-15-2017, 03:04 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,231,785 times
insightful post, bamba_boy.

Old 06-18-2017, 01:10 PM

329 posts, read 298,938 times
I heard that St Croix, St. Thomas, would join together with PR, and be one State

Old 06-30-2017, 01:39 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,525,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamba_boy View Post
.5) Culturally and linguistically USVI should hook up with BVI (British), St. Kitts, St.Lucia, St. Vincent, Grenada, Jamaica, Antigua, The Caymans and possibly the Atlantic states of Bermuda and Bahamas and form a new nation "Ango-American States of the Caribbean" (AASC) . ..
Most of those places that you named are independent sovereign nations and are no more of interest to Theresa May than is PR. In fact she might be more interested in PR as it is a bigger market for her exports.

Old 06-30-2017, 01:41 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,525,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyberrios View Post
I heard that St Croix, St. Thomas, would join together with PR, and be one State
You might as well claim that the USA and Mexico will become one state. Seriously Virgin Islanders don't see that they have anything in common with Puerto Ricans. They just shop there and use their healthcare facilities.

Old 06-30-2017, 01:42 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,099,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
You might as well claim that the USA and Mexico will become one state. Seriously Virgin Islanders don't see that they have anything in common with Puerto Ricans. They just shop there and use their healthcare facilities.
I don't understand this either, the USVI and Puerto Rico are like New York and New Jersey ... they are right next to eachother, that's about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories