U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 10:12 AM

34,594 posts, read 42,768,368 times

Advertisements

What do you do on an island, when there is nowhere to go? I know the homes are built to withstand hurricanes, and you get couple of hurricanes every year, so do you just take them in stride?

My DIL's family lives on the north side, and they are all gathering inland at her grandparent's casa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2017, 11:28 AM

9,080 posts, read 3,066,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
What do you do on an island, when there is nowhere to go?

you are not supposed to go anywhere during a hurricane in any place. You stay home with the family and play dominoes, play UNO, play briscas, read books, light candles, make an Asopao, drink lots of coffee and beer, sleep. Whatever you do make sure is inside your house. The last thing you want is to be outside with 180 mph winds and getting knocked out by flying objects or getting electrocuted.

Puerto Ricans have dealt with Hurricanes for over 500 years......nothing new here.....they are used to it.

Old 09-05-2017, 12:58 PM

2,565 posts, read 3,087,009 times
  1. Store up provisions well before the start of hurricane season
  2. Top off your roof-top potable water storage tank
  3. Keep hard cash in your house
  4. Keep your 9MM loaded with plenty of extra rounds
  5. Board up windows
  6. When the hurricane arrives, you hunker down and ride it out

This is what my 80 year old father did and still does year after year.

Old 09-05-2017, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
  5. Board up windows

I like the #4........your father is a smart man.

in some places in P.R. you are going to need more than a 9MM (AR-15 type) because the Police are going to be busy during this crisis and the thugs and criminals take advantage of that especially if you live close to the caserios (ghettos)

Last edited by Hellion1999; 09-05-2017 at 02:19 PM..

Old 09-05-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
you are not supposed to go anywhere during a hurricane in any place. You stay home with the family and play dominoes, play UNO, play briscas, read books, light candles, make an Asopao, drink lots of coffee and beer, sleep. Whatever you do make sure is inside your house. The last thing you want is to be outside with 180 mph winds and getting knocked out by flying objects or getting electrocuted.

Puerto Ricans have dealt with Hurricanes for over 500 years......nothing new here.....they are used to it.
Yes, kind of what I thought. You reminded me I have a recipe for asopao. I want to try it.

Old 09-05-2017, 03:29 PM

Quote:
  5. Board up windows

Oh my goodness.

Old 09-05-2017, 04:50 PM

I forgot you need a good saw or chainsaw (better) after the hurricane a lot of trees and tree branches will fall around your home and surrounding or be so weak that you have to take trees down and you have to cut them down for safety reasons.

I wouldn't mess the ones next to electric power posts, that's dangerous but you can do the rest.

Back in 1989 under Hurricane Hugo a big Mango tree landed in front of our house blocking the garage and front door, we took hours cutting that tree to move it out of the way

My neighbor had the same thing happened to him with a big avocado tree......Thank God for the chainsaw because if we had to do it by hand with a saw we would have taken days.

the cleanup is the worst part.....its a mess that takes months to clean up.

Old 09-05-2017, 05:13 PM

2,487 posts, read 1,273,688 times
Quote:
  5. Board up windows

Godamn right, Chaco.

same thing we do here in NJ...Glock17 original issue, 1985, Kel-tec 9mm made in Coco Beach Fl...my wife has her CCW 380 Kel-tec..many boxes of ammo..can't even mention the ARs we have hidden in cases in the attic rafters...:-) since NJ gun laws changed.....always 500 cash in the safe...

plenty of water, tinned food...
SUV always at a 1/2 tank or more..

'Bug out bag' with all important documents..First Aid kit..
but we would never leave Magoo Manor in a Hurricane or flood unless it was absolutely necessary.

Meanwhile, Papi in Ponce he is 92... fought with the 65th in Korea. soldiers of any age especially Combat Vets, are always prepared..he is hunkered down, well stocked..water food etc.

My place in Rincón..well, it's just a place..if it goes..it goes.
I'll deal with it later.

Gov. of PR put a ban on liquor sales as of 6 am tomorrow (Weds. Morning)
I'm sure there is plenty of Pittoro stashed away on the Island.

Last edited by mr.magoo; 09-05-2017 at 05:34 PM..

Old 09-06-2017, 05:21 AM
mym

556 posts, read 750,740 times
back in the day my friend's parent owned a flower plantation. i worked for them on occasion, delivering flowers or cutting them or placing them in boxes for delivery.

other people from the vicinity worked there as well. these people were poorer and lived in wooden houses so when a hurricane came, they would spend it at my friend's parent's cement house.

one of the guys who came over was cuco. now cuco was a jibaro (still is) and he raised fighting roosters and drove a 1.8.

when the storm came he parked his toyota en la marquesina and put the rooster in a cage in the trunk.

anyway, the west coast usually escapes the storm as Yukiyu blocks Huracan from traversing the island through the middle (usually)

as the worst of storm didnt show up as announced although the electricity went out anyway, cuco decides use the car stereo to entertain us all. he has huge speakers. of course. to compliment his salsoul sticker. which is next to the sticker that says "maquina baja panty"

after four hours of salsa a todo volumen, he suddenly remembers the rooster. the poor thing had been in that trunk with the loud music for hours. poor thing couldnt even walk straight anymore and never recovered.

Old 09-06-2017, 06:37 AM

2,487 posts, read 1,273,688 times
Poor Rooster, couldn't fight anymore..but he could sure could dance the 'Funky Chicken' after that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories