Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the federal response to PR equal to the response to any US state affected by hurricanes?
Yes 41 38.68%
No 65 61.32%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 11:52 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,889,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
what happened to no more comments?

She has already shown that she isn't honest and truthful lol
It's amazing, some people will just not admit they are wrong on the internet, and they get angrier. I made a mistake on an early post and owed up to it.
I guess her personal attacks will continue until she is given some "time out" time to think about it.

Old 10-04-2017, 03:42 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,280,356 times
Yes, Puerto Rico has problems. What state doesn't? However, since the U.S. invaded in 1898, the U.S. has exploited the island and its people. It is true that the U.S. Government granted citizenship to Puerto Ricans in 1917. What a coincidence. They were granted citizenship just in time to be drafted into WWI. Then the Merchant Marine Act of 1920 (Jones Act) was enacted as a way to suppress the island-insuring that everything brought to the island cost higher thus making the cost of living higher.

Throughout the 20th & now the 21st centuries, the U.S. has taken all it can from the island & its people. Most people don't even know that the U.S. even bombed the island in the 1950s. This video explains a little of how Puerto Rico became deep in debt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwTJ1daiUfQ

What is my connection to Puerto Rico? My husband. His mother was from Guanica and his grandmother was on the beach when the U.S. invaded in 1898. His sister lives there (and as I am writing this is trying to get off the island) along with many cousins. We even own a house down there-which we heard is still there.

Yes, I am angry at how my country treats its citizens. I am not just taking about the idiot Trump. He doesn't have a clue how to be a leader. But, I'm talking about Congress-not just now but for the past century. Personally, I would love see Puerto Rico became the 51st state. I think it is absurd that U.S. citizens CAN'T vote for president. Most of Hubby's cousins want it to be a state. Only one wants it to be independent. Puerto Ricans can vote on this issue as many times as they want but nothing will happen unless they have an advocate in Congress. But, they won't because to grant PR statehood would mean that they would get I don't know how many reps in Congress which would mean that other states would lose that many. And also, as a general rule, Latinos have a tendency of voting Democratic and the Republicans wouldn't want that. So, it is better to keep Puerto Rico the way it is.

Cat
Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories