Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the federal response to PR equal to the response to any US state affected by hurricanes?
Yes 41 38.68%
No 65 61.32%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 08:45 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjkjkj View Post
Exactly. It's the corrupt mayor of San Juan, and maybe even the governor, making the food sit on the docks. They are killing their fellow citizens so they can be in front of a TV camera!!!
This San Juan Mayor is bad news! Lots of articles coming out, she isn't attending FEMA meetings, her politics are suspect. Her credibility is ZERO....all this from Puerto Rico sources!

Neighboring mayor praises Trump, says San Juan mayor playing 'politics,' AWOL at meetings

Old 10-01-2017, 09:21 AM

282 posts, read 232,630 times
The FEMA meeting was scheduled by FEMA for a location 40 miles away from San Juan. She had no way to get there, due to road washouts and bridges no longer existing. There was a closer option but FEMA decided on the one she couldn't get to.

Old 10-01-2017, 09:22 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,102,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
This San Juan Mayor is bad news! Lots of articles coming out, she isn't attending FEMA meetings, her politics are suspect. Her credibility is ZERO....all this from Puerto Rico sources!

Neighboring mayor praises Trump, says San Juan mayor playing 'politics,' AWOL at meetings
^ this

I've followed Puerto Rican politics for many years and Carmen Yulin is an anti-American separatist that is always looking to further her political aspirations. She always needs to be the center of attention. Her own party hates her and is actively trying to expel her and her supporters. San Juan has been an absolute disaster since she became mayor in 2013, and she wins only because of all the clueless college students at the UPR - Rio Piedras campus. Just today she praised Venezuelan dictator Nicholas Maduro for "helping Puerto Rico" ... meanwhile Maduro has done jack. Venezuela has done literally NOTHING for Puerto Rico since Irma and Maria.

Like all independenistas, Yulin is a communist. This is why I keep trying to explain to people on here that an independent Puerto Rico is not within our national interests. The financial costs of maintaining the island are cheaper than the geo-political costs of losing it. Especially once China and Russia come sailing in.

Old 10-01-2017, 12:57 PM

1,110 posts, read 895,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
I just had a heated discussion with a co-worker who feels that Puerto Rico should not receive any federal hurricane relief because because it is a territory that does nothing but "collect welfare and sell their birth certificates to illegals from Spanish-speaking countries", who use the certificates to commit immigration fraud.

In short, his feeling is "**** Puerto Rico, let them save themselves or die".

As an citizen and a human being, I am incensed and appalled at such an attitude to fellow Americans and feel that we are not doing enough or moving fast enough, as a country, to assist.

Is my view wrong or misguided, as my co-worker believes?
Why should we not help our own people when we do not hesitate to help other countries such as Haiti, Mexico, the Philippines, and so on? It is the decent thing to do.

If my neighbor's house is burning, would I refuse to help him because he is not related, or he does not have a good job, or he has a barking dog, or some other distinguishing meaningless trait?

Puerto Rico is not a state, but that is by choice. They have full freedom to come and go to the mainland, in which they have many ties.

Old 10-01-2017, 01:10 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmLizzie View Post
The FEMA meeting was scheduled by FEMA for a location 40 miles away from San Juan. She had no way to get there, due to road washouts and bridges no longer existing. There was a closer option but FEMA decided on the one she couldn't get to.
That would be incorrect. The headquarters are in San Juan. Regardless, she has all the resources of her office to get to a meeting anywhere on the island and, in additional, at this point the roads are relatively clear from what I am reading.

"Additionally and incredibly, Mayor Yulin Cruz has never even visited the San Juan Headquarters where FEMA, Dept. of Homeland Security, Dept of Defense, National Guard, Army Corps of Engineers and PR state governors office are communicating, prioritizing and responding to the urgent needs of municipal leaders and the citizens of Puerto Rico."

FEMA Director: San Juan Mayor Refuses To Participate in Puerto Rico Unified Command and Relief Efforts... | F169BBS

I mean really, when you go to the trouble of printing up Tshirt's, I mean it's kind of obvious what her priority and agenda is...and it's not concern for the good people of Puerto Rico.

Old 10-01-2017, 01:11 PM

24,447 posts, read 25,978,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmLizzie View Post
If the meeting was in Guaynabo, I have driven to there from SJ and it's closer to 15 miles as far as getting theres always a helicopter.

Old 10-01-2017, 05:09 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
U.S. MILITARY ON PUERTO RICO: "THE PROBLEM IS DISTRIBUTION" AND HERE'S WHY | HuffPost

Quote:
Col. Valle is a firsthand witness of the U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) response supporting FEMA in Puerto Rico, and as a Puerto Rican himself with family members living in the devastation, his passion for the people is second to none. “It’s just not true,” Col. Valle says of the major disconnect today between the perception of a lack of response from Washington verses what is really going on on the ground. “I have family here. My parents’ home is here. My uncles, aunts, cousins, are all here. As a Puerto Rican, I can tell you that the problem has nothing to do with the U.S. military, FEMA, or the DoD.”

Yesterday, Col. Valle was in a meeting with Puerto Rican Governor Ricardo A. Rosselló and Florida Governor Rick Scott, who travelled to Puerto Rico to see how he could help. Col. Valle says, “Governor Scott offered any and all resources available to help. His support is incredible, as has been the support from all levels of government, FEMA, and all entities. Yes, people are in need of food and water and medical supplies and power; I personally know the people here and they are very grateful for what we are doing. I’m passionate and I’m proud of the response. We did the same response for Hurricane Irma in Florida as for Puerto Rico with Maria.”

“As a Puerto Rican, what happens here for the people is personal to me. To say that we are not provided all of the help and resources needed is just not true. Distribution is the key, and we are working day and night on it. I’m here, my own family is here, I know how hard this is. We need to keep doing what we are doing. It’s going to take the resource of time.”

Last edited by CptnRn; 10-01-2017 at 05:18 PM..

Old 10-01-2017, 08:57 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,566,942 times
Quote:
Woah... Woah... you are all over the place - wars...Trump. Discuss, don't rant.

I am not ranting. And I can actually spell. When the hell did I ever talk about wars?

People like you sicken me. You have absolutely no clue what's going on there. NONE.

Trump is a national disgrace and embarrassment. People who side with him are just as bad. He should have shown compassion and understanding with people dying all over the place. The mayor lost everything she owns. And is doing all she can. What is she supposed to do, put guns to the heads of people who don't want to risk their lives? Who don't have the military training required to safely enter areas of lawlessness and total chaos? If our idiot President had any clue at all he'd pair troops with them immediately so they could get resources inland. He was too busy playing golf to concern himself with such ideas, I suppose.

The police there DO work. The administrators, dock workers, even truck drivers believe it or not. Your statements are borderline racist, implying the Puerto Rican people are lazy and don't want to work. I'm sure they're all thrilled with your lovely comments at this time.

Last edited by Sunscape; 10-03-2017 at 08:24 AM..

Old 10-01-2017, 08:59 PM

276 posts, read 178,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyGoldenLife View Post
I am in full agreement with YOU. It is not Puerto Rico's fault that they are still a territory. Yes, they have a right to FEMA funding and help like other Americans.
Yes it is, every time they vote to not become a state.

Old 10-01-2017, 10:20 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,168,614 times
Quote:
That would be incorrect. The headquarters are in San Juan. Regardless, she has all the resources of her office to get to a meeting anywhere on the island and, in additional, at this point the roads are relatively clear from what I am reading.

"Additionally and incredibly, Mayor Yulin Cruz has never even visited the San Juan Headquarters where FEMA, Dept. of Homeland Security, Dept of Defense, National Guard, Army Corps of Engineers and PR state governors office are communicating, prioritizing and responding to the urgent needs of municipal leaders and the citizens of Puerto Rico."

FEMA Director: San Juan Mayor Refuses To Participate in Puerto Rico Unified Command and Relief Efforts... | F169BBS

I mean really, when you go to the trouble of printing up Tshirt's, I mean it's kind of obvious what her priority and agenda is...and it's not concern for the good people of Puerto Rico.
Some roads are clear. My wife's uncle made a trip that normally takes less than 4 hours in almost 11 hours this weekend. He said from Ponce all bridges were out to the west. It's still bad. Your sources might need some help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories