Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 02:19 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,461,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
You are ignoring the politics in the island that are against statehood and they are from the LEFT in the island......all the Republicans and conservatives in Puerto Rico are PRO STATEHOOD and are NOT Anti-American....you only get that from the left in P.R. and they are in bed with the Democrat party like the mayor of San Juan, Carmen Yulin, which now she is a rock star in the Democrat party.
Why would the GOP support statehood if it diluted their control of Congress.

That's the funny thing. The GOP want PR to stay just as it is now that the Col War is over and they have no fear of a left wing independent PR. The Dems want more migration from PR to FL and statehood isn't going to facilitate this. Status quo will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2017, 03:02 AM

11,046 posts, read 5,219,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Why would the GOP support statehood if it diluted their control of Congress.

That's the funny thing. The GOP want PR to stay just as it is now that the Col War is over and they have no fear of a left wing independent PR. The Dems want more migration from PR to FL and statehood isn't going to facilitate this. Status quo will.

the GOP shouldn't without admitting another state as Republican to balance things out.........the anti-american left in Puerto Rico has killed statehood since 1967.....I have the numbers to back it up since 1967.

Even if the GOP pushes a statehood bill act, it will get rejected by the Anti-American left in Puerto Rico and it will die.

Trump and the GOP should use the JEDI mind trick and call P.R.'s bluff.......support a statehood bill for Puerto Rico and watch it die by the own Puerto Rican referendum and Trump say "see, we gave them the opportunity to join the Union and they rejected it, We wash our hands"

by the way, why everybody is saying that the migration from P.R. is going mostly to Florida? we have 49 other states and until they do another Census in 3 years, we won't know the exact breakdown. You have double the population of Puerto Ricans in New York/Jersey than Florida.

Old 10-12-2017, 04:07 AM

Quote:
by the way, why everybody is saying that the migration from P.R. is going mostly to Florida? we have 49 other states and until they do another Census in 3 years, we won't know the exact breakdown. You have double the population of Puerto Ricans in New York/Jersey than Florida.
The Puerto Rican population in the NY area is descended from the prior migration of the late 40s to the late 60s. This group is now more integrated into FL, where many have migrated than to PR itself. Many don't even speak fluent Spanish.

So I will expect FL to get a larger flow of PR evacuees than NY. It also offers a quality of life more similar to that of PR. NY/NJ is expensive and hostile to people arriving without resources. And to the consternation of many like you, a typical island Puerto Rican arriving in NYC, speaking poor English, will be seen just as a Dominican will be seen. An immigrant.

Old 10-12-2017, 09:20 AM

368 posts, read 449,200 times
Quote:
the GOP shouldn't without admitting another state as Republican to balance things out.........the anti-american left in Puerto Rico has killed statehood since 1967.....I have the numbers to back it up since 1967.

Even if the GOP pushes a statehood bill act, it will get rejected by the Anti-American left in Puerto Rico and it will die.

Trump and the GOP should use the JEDI mind trick and call P.R.'s bluff.......support a statehood bill for Puerto Rico and watch it die by the own Puerto Rican referendum and Trump say "see, we gave them the opportunity to join the Union and they rejected it, We wash our hands"

Quote:
The Puerto Rican population in the NY area is descended from the prior migration of the late 40s to the late 60s. This group is now more integrated into FL, where many have migrated than to PR itself. Many don't even speak fluent Spanish.

So I will expect FL to get a larger flow of PR evacuees than NY. It also offers a quality of life more similar to that of PR. NY/NJ is expensive and hostile to people arriving without resources. And to the consternation of many like you, a typical island Puerto Rican arriving in NYC, speaking poor English, will be seen just as a Dominican will be seen. An immigrant.
As for destinations I think 98% of Puerto Ricans will go to 12 states, mainly on the eastcoast. South to north, Florida, Texas, Georgia, North Carolina, Virginia, Maryland, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, & Massachusetts.

But Florida & Pennsylvania will get the bulk (possibly aroun 50%), especially the Orlando/Tampa area and the Philadelphia area. The other 48% will go to the other 10 states mentioned. And the remaining to 2% mostly to the Chicago IL, Milwaukee WI, Los Angeles CA areas and smaller states like Rhode Island and Delaware.

Old 10-13-2017, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreadofknowledge View Post
As for destinations I think 98% of Puerto Ricans will go to 12 states, mainly on the eastcoast. South to north, Florida, Texas, Georgia, North Carolina, Virginia, Maryland, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, & Massachusetts.

But Florida & Pennsylvania will get the bulk (possibly aroun 50%), especially the Orlando/Tampa area and the Philadelphia area. The other 48% will go to the other 10 states mentioned. And the remaining to 2% mostly to the Chicago IL, Milwaukee WI, Los Angeles CA areas and smaller states like Rhode Island and Delaware.
The Dems will be delighted that they move to PA, FL, NC, VA, and OH. They will mouth support for statehood but will not try too hard as a sense of hopelessness will lead to more migration from PR.

There will be no statehood. The GOP don't want it and neither do the Dems.

Old 10-13-2017, 04:13 AM

11,046 posts, read 5,219,983 times
Quote:

Puerto Ricans that want to work will go to the states with jobs, low taxes and a decent cost of living and good schools if you have children ....if Orlando doesn't offer that to me, I will look to other states like Arizona, Colorado, Oregon, Washington with a low crime rate.....that's what I'm looking at.

I usually like Republicans states like Texas, North Carolina, Utah, Arizona and Florida because they have good paying jobs and low taxes and lots of space...some have NO state income tax like Texas and Florida.

Old 10-13-2017, 08:39 AM

10,220 posts, read 16,722,169 times
Quote:
A new state with state with $72B in debt and a ruined infrastructure.

Don't think that statehood will be welcomed.
nobody is getting $72 bn back, they weren't before maria, and will get even less now. pensioners will likely see another haircut as well. I don't have a problem with statehood but that discussion should come after bankruptcy.

Old 10-13-2017, 07:58 PM

9,770 posts, read 14,611,517 times
People can debate ad nauseam about the possible changes Maria will have in Puerto Rico, but the only thing certain right now is the sharp increase in activity in this forum! Yikes!

Its probably the only good thing that has come out of Maria thus far. lol

At least I don't remember seeing so much activity in such a short period of time in the U.S. Territories forum.

Old 10-15-2017, 03:17 AM
mym

707 posts, read 1,164,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
People can debate ad nauseam about the possible changes Maria will have in Puerto Rico, but the only thing certain right now is the sharp increase in activity in this forum! Yikes!

Its probably the only good thing that has come out of Maria thus far. lol

At least I don't remember seeing so much activity in such a short period of time in the U.S. Territories forum.
yeah it was like beetlejuice

someone mentioned Trump three times and a whole bunch of new accounts showed up. it was quite impressive.

Old 10-15-2017, 03:20 AM
mym

707 posts, read 1,164,169 times
i wonder if there will be a wave of returning puerto ricans. 2nd generation volunteers who decide to remain.

and i expect renewed political passions from the remainers. whatever side they belong to they will be more likely to stand up now for what they believe in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories