U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-03-2018, 11:33 AM
 
2,626 posts, read 3,145,648 times
Reputation: 3875

Advertisements

Relative to the great and many dilemmas currently afflicting PR, the following is insignificant by comparison. Nevertheless, it makes me cringe each time I hear/read something about a Puerto Rican "Equipo Nacional (National Team)".

Barea reafirma su compromiso con el Equipo Nacional | Deportes | elvocero.com

What nation? PR is not a nation. PR is a territory of the United States and it's high time we got over those grand illusions of independence. Until [that highly improbable] independence materializes, we should stop referring to PR sports teams as National Teams and call them what they are. Maybe these teams should be referred to as "Equipo Territorial (Territorial Team)".

Earlier in 2017, it was rather baffling to watch PR vs USA during the Baseball Classic finals. It would have been a totally different experience to watch PR vs another country or other territory. However, how does one explain a competition between a territorial possession of a country vs the country which possesses it? I was at that game. I recall hearing the lady next to me ask her companion, "Wait. Isn't PR part of the US? I don't get it." And neither do I.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-03-2018, 11:57 AM
 
9,643 posts, read 3,251,152 times
Reputation: 4540
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva;50582639

Earlier in 2017, it was rather baffling to watch PR vs USA during the Baseball Classic finals. It would have been a totally different experience to watch PR vs another country or other territory. However, how does one explain a competition between a territorial possession of a country vs the country which possesses it? I was at that game. I recall hearing the lady next to me ask her companion, "Wait. Isn't PR part of the US? I don't get it." And neither do I.


blame the Populares and nationalists/independentistas for using wedge issues like Miss Universe and the Olympics to push their political agenda and divide further the island over the status.


winners= the elites, rich and corporations in the island, they keep the status quo while promoting and making $$$$$ on a superficial nationalistic pride over a beauty pageant and games kids play.

losers= all of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2018, 02:07 PM
 
Location: On a Long Island in NY
7,624 posts, read 8,226,495 times
Reputation: 6950
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
Relative to the great and many dilemmas currently afflicting PR, the following is insignificant by comparison. Nevertheless, it makes me cringe each time I hear/read something about a Puerto Rican "Equipo Nacional (National Team)".

Barea reafirma su compromiso con el Equipo Nacional | Deportes | elvocero.com

What nation? PR is not a nation. PR is a territory of the United States and it's high time we got over those grand illusions of independence. Until [that highly improbable] independence materializes, we should stop referring to PR sports teams as National Teams and call them what they are. Maybe these teams should be referred to as "Equipo Territorial (Territorial Team)".

Earlier in 2017, it was rather baffling to watch PR vs USA during the Baseball Classic finals. It would have been a totally different experience to watch PR vs another country or other territory. However, how does one explain a competition between a territorial possession of a country vs the country which possesses it? I was at that game. I recall hearing the lady next to me ask her companion, "Wait. Isn't PR part of the US? I don't get it." And neither do I.

The "national" sports teams, the COPUR team, the Puerto Rican Institute of Culture, and Miss Universe were created by Luis Munoz Marin and the PDP to distract Puerto Ricans from the surging statehood movements in Alaska and Hawaii in the 1940s and 1950s.

Personally, I am hoping the Federal Oversight Board ends all this nonsense and cuts off funding for the Olympics team and the "Institute of Culture".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2018, 11:17 PM
 
1,738 posts, read 3,913,061 times
Reputation: 4566
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post

Personally, I am hoping the Federal Oversight Board ends all this nonsense and cuts off funding for the Olympics team and the "Institute of Culture".
A-freaking-men.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2018, 01:11 PM
 
473 posts, read 829,399 times
Reputation: 450
I don’t expect assimilated Ricans in the diaspora to ever conceive Puerto Rico is a nation. You guys were put on the conveyer belt of assimilation a long time ago. The only thing Puerto Rican left in you is that you might still eat rice and beans, alcapurrias, and are obsessed with dancing salsa. Most of you don’t speak Spanish, which is the bind that holds Puerto Rican nationality together. If Spanish disappears it’s the end of our national distinction. Once it’s lost we become a nuyorican, a Disneyrican or any of those other Rican types created in statehood.

I’ve never heard anyone here mention the recent PEW study that found that Puerto Ricans are the POOREST Hispanics in America. We only compete with Black in poverty. But that’s another topic.

Nonetheless many Ricans aspire to become what Italian Americans are, eternal under educated blue collars.

However no one dares tell an Italian american they are not Italian. They eat Pizza, spaghettis and once in a while some throw in an Italian word like Fagule to prove They ARE Italians.

When they go to Italy many come back criticizing their fellow Italians because they can’t speak English. They are rude, brash and basically rough, and made fun of in Italy. Sounds familiar?

When Italian Americans see Italians in Italy they say, “ Who do these fangulas think they are, better than us? “

Many Rican’s when visiting SanJuan have similar reactions. Many don’t understand why the heck we don’t learn English. Some wonder why we act like Whites.

They are really reacting to CLASS.

Yes guys you’ll never understand the aspirations of a 500 year old colony wanting to learn to swim with the sharks and be ourselves. You guys only want Puerto Ricans to act like you, which by the look of things, you haven’t been too successful. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2018, 04:13 PM
 
2,626 posts, read 3,145,648 times
Reputation: 3875
Quote:
Originally Posted by clip314 View Post
Yes guys you’ll never understand the aspirations of a 500 year old colony wanting to learn to swim with the sharks and be ourselves.
¡Mera, so coco de agua! The only difference between you and someone like me is that, unlike you, most of us removed our side blinders decades ago, looked at the facts, swallowed our pride, and accepted the reality of what Puerto Rico was and wasn't back then; that being:

1. Puerto Rico is not a Nation
2. Puerto Rico is a Territory of the United States

Until that reality changes, you can have all the fantastical views and opinions you want. At the end of the day, the views and opinions of anyone who fails to accept reality means nothing, changes nothing when compared to the reality of matters. It's as if you buried your head in the sand and have yet to figure out how to get it out.

Question:
Given Puerto Rico's existing problem-ravaged predicament, is Puerto Rico closer or further from that state of utopic independence which you and I once dreamed of?

Answer:
Not only is it further away, it is generations [to never] away.

Let's make Puerto Rico a better place by accepting, embracing, and dealing with our island's troubles and predicaments as they are today. Our efforts for a better Puerto Rico will be effective when we accept and deal with the situation we have at hand, not the situation we wished we had at hand. Y esto, compay, se lo digo por dolorosa y decepcionada experiencia propia, causada por personas en la isla quienes, hasta el dia de hoy, rechazan los hechos de la realidad.

Saludos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2018, 08:51 PM
 
1,812 posts, read 623,081 times
Reputation: 1844
The socialist government has ruined/bankrupted the island through mismanagement, corruption, & overall incompetence. Anyone claiming that the infrastructure wasn't already in shambles before the storms is lying. 25% of the population didn't have power before the storm. If PR didn't receiving annual bailouts from the US taxpayer and wasn't essentially part of the US they would be in Venezuela shape. Why was this bailout money used for welfare? why wasn't it used to pay for the failing power grid? All they had to do was ask people to work for the money instead of paying them to do nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2018, 07:38 AM
 
Location: Meredith NH
1,485 posts, read 2,182,229 times
Reputation: 2489
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
The socialist government has ruined/bankrupted the island through mismanagement, corruption, & overall incompetence. Anyone claiming that the infrastructure wasn't already in shambles before the storms is lying. 25% of the population didn't have power before the storm. If PR didn't receiving annual bailouts from the US taxpayer and wasn't essentially part of the US they would be in Venezuela shape. Why was this bailout money used for welfare? why wasn't it used to pay for the failing power grid? All they had to do was ask people to work for the money instead of paying them to do nothing.
Well said in very few words
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2018, 09:38 AM
 
Location: On a Long Island in NY
7,624 posts, read 8,226,495 times
Reputation: 6950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Bishop View Post
If there was a referendum in the United States, PR would not approved as another state, no way.
We already have a process of creating new states:
Quote:
New States may be admitted by the Congress into this Union
We don't need a referendum, we just need a simple majority in both chambers of Congress. The votes are already there in the House, the problem is something called the Hastert rule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2018, 09:46 AM
 
Location: On a Long Island in NY
7,624 posts, read 8,226,495 times
Reputation: 6950
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
The socialist government has ruined/bankrupted the island through mismanagement, corruption, & overall incompetence. Anyone claiming that the infrastructure wasn't already in shambles before the storms is lying. 25% of the population didn't have power before the storm. If PR didn't receiving annual bailouts from the US taxpayer and wasn't essentially part of the US they would be in Venezuela shape. Why was this bailout money used for welfare? why wasn't it used to pay for the failing power grid? All they had to do was ask people to work for the money instead of paying them to do nothing.
Do you say the same thing about the rubes in Appalachia? Or is it ok for them to be welfare junkies just because they are White? Fact is, the states most dependent on Federal handouts are your beloved solid Republican states. Go fix that and then we'll talk about Puerto Ricans on welfare.

Furthermore Puerto Rico was never "bailed out". They got loan from Congress in October to enable the territorial government to continue to operate despite the loss of revenue due to businesses being closed due to lack of power. The Christmas bonus for territorial government workers is mandatory under the territorial constitution ... which was approved by Congress in 1952. Turn off Fox News and learn the real facts before you speak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top